Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricks white tux by MK

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
From the archives--please repost your pics

MK
Administrator
(8/6/03 2:20 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All New Post Rick's White Tux

Enjoy!

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Capt Aram Yossarian
(8/6/03 3:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del New Post Re: Rick's White Tux Bogie1943 and I were having a conversation about this very mysterious tux. Like Bogie's trenchcoat, it has a few unique features that is not common even in English attire.

For one, the majority of white dinner jackets had peaked lapels (like that found on modern and vintage double breasted suits) Bogie's dinner jacket has a rounded lapel (the proper term currently escapes me) which a rounded lapel is not abnormal, but a rounded lapel on a double breasted dinner jacket is. This has created quite a difficulty in obtaining an original dinner jacket (for next year's QM of course) and the thought of having one custom made is not appealing either.

This white dinner jacket is just one of the many other reminders of flukes in Hollywood when it comes to costumes.

Sincerest Regards,

Yossarian

Where the hell's my parachute? - Capt. Aram Yossarian in Catch 22
Bogie1943
(8/6/03 5:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux For those of you who are looking for a similar dinner jacket, now it won't be accurate to screen, we are still hunting that one down. But I good place to get a decent dinner jacket is on ebay. Just search for white dinner jacket and should get a good number of auctions, not bad jackets at all really, not the best, but it will get ya by. Bogie's dinner jacket had to have been a custom made deal for the man himself. The fit is perfect on him down to the last little bit. The cut itself is so unique, double breasted, shawl collar, that is the combo that is making it so hard to find.:hat

MN Jones
(8/6/03 7:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux It's a shawl collar, or shawl lapel. This is all I was finding in my quest for the ToD Tuxedo Jacket. Yeah, you're right, all the ones I found were the single breasted. But LOTS of shawl collars on dinner jackets. Found a couple with a notched lapel, but no peaks. Again, had to have mine custom done. Isn't cheap, but it did the trick. Good luck!

Bogie1943
(8/6/03 7:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux This has become a quest for me now lol. It looks like I will have to follow in the footsteps of MN Jones and have my Bogie jacket custom made, but if by some miracle I find another answer I will be sure to pass along my find.:hat

Mattdeckard
(8/6/03 9:50 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux I have seen shawl collard double breasted vests, but never a shawl collard double breasted jacket. This is quite interesting.

END OF LINE.

MN Jones
(8/7/03 8:58 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux One tidbit of info, it won't help on your quest unfortunately. In the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Illustrated Screenplay, they show four sketches of Indy's ToD Tuxedo Dinner Jacket, or four different potential versions. A Shawl Collar single and double breasted, and a Peaked Lapel single and double breasted. Of course they went for the single breasted peaked. Wonder why they didn't do the double breasted shawl? Maybe they wanted a "nod" to Casablanca without actually coping it? Things that make you go.... hmmmmm..... :D

Rundquist
(8/7/03 10:40 am)
Reply | Edit | Del New Post Re: Rick's White Tux Part of the style detail also probably comes from what suits a particular actor best. Although I can imagine Bogey in a peaked lapel jacket, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard for me to imagine Ford in a shawl-collared jacket. Cheers

Now when I die I want to be buried in straight-laced shoes, a boxed-back suit and a Stetson hat (don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t forget the lid). Put a twenty dollar gold piece on my watch chain, so the boys will know I died standing pat. ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú St. James Infirmary
Kittlemeier
(8/15/03 3:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del New Post Re: Rick's White Tux Several years ago I picked up a tux from the late 40's/early 50's at an antique store that was midnight blue and double breasted with grosgrain peak lapels. It was a little snug in the shoulders, but I just had to have it anyway.

So skip a few years, it's time to get married and I wanted an updated version of that tux(didn't want to get married in someone's prom night fun suit). It was nowhere to be found ready made. I ended up going the made to order route. If you're not familiar, you go to a finer men's store who offers this service, they take all your measurements and the suit is made to your specs off site. When the suit arrives they do the final adjustments.

You can basically have any details you want added or omitted. I decided to go black with a six on four button closure, peak lapels, side vents(HIGHLY recommended, they just make sence), surgeon cuffs, and a great burgundy fancy lining. I wish they offered split back pants but oh well.

Anyway, the point is, you could go that route and get exactly what you want, without the price of full custom, and it will fit you like a tailored jacket. I'm adding an off white dinner jacket soon(not to Rick spec, single breasted shawl lapel with side vents) and it will be around $600 but I will have exactly what I want and it will fit me not the standard 42L. K

MK
Administrator
(9/10/03 7:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del New Post Re: Rick's White Tux I am posting this for Bogie1943.....or whatever Josh's handle is. Pretty cool and a great job.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
MN Jones
(9/10/03 10:46 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux Excellent Tuxedo Jacket! Did you go the custom route or modify one you found? Looks like you modified one...

I love the last picture!

Bogie1943
(9/10/03 6:17 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux Well I was on ebay one day and I bought this nice single breasted white dinner jacket from this guy who owns a tuxedo place. I sent him an email about my payment for it and also included what I was looking for. He emailed me back saying he had one double breasted, satin/shawl lapeled jacket left, in my size too. As you can see the buttons that came on it were wrong, but the pattern of the jacket is close to perfect, maybe perfect. All I did was used the DVD for reference, found the proper buttons and sewed them on, then had it cleaned and pressed and that was that, my quest was over! Thanks again MK!:hat NOW FOR THE TRENCH COAT!:hat

Mattdeckard
(9/15/03 12:08 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
New Post Re: Rick's White Tux looking good.

END OF LINE.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Found this Palm Beach jacket on Ebay...
Look familiar?

palm_ful.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I just picked up a double-breasted shawl-collar white dinner jacket with matching pants in palm beach material this past weekend. I was going for the Bogie look, but didn't realize what a dead ringer it is. Neat ensemble, made in Panama by Bestfit. I'll try to get to get some pictures soon, but I need a few items to finish it first.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know what really looks sharp with a coat like that? Well, I like a pair of navy blue or black tux pants from the era! A red carnation on the lapel and a nice bowtie! I wouldn't mind a shawl collar but prefer a peaked lapel. That is such a big band look in my eyes. Bogart really made it stick, but I think of Benny Good man when I see those dinner jackets.

Can’t' wait to find one in my size! I'm holding out for a vintage one. Can't beat it!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Forgot to mention - the pants are black, with the proper formal satin stripe down the outside seam. They're a bit small in the waist, but I have another pair that I picked up on the cheap at another show that are almost exactly the same. Different weight material, but the stripe is dead-on.

I've known about this ensemble for a long time, I've just been waiting to strike on it. I wanted to do a Bogie shot with a bottle of gin and a tall glass at a table or bar somewhere...I've been practicing my bleary-eyed worried souse look. Looks as if it's right on the money.

Between the double-breasted '30s tux that I already have, the new white jacket and the white tie ensemble that I'm putting together, I'll be ready for any social occasion!

Originally posted by The Wingnut
I just picked up a double-breasted shawl-collar white dinner jacket with matching pants in palm beach material this past weekend. I was going for the Bogie look, but didn't realize what a dead ringer it is. Neat ensemble, made in Panama by Bestfit. I'll try to get to get some pictures soon, but I need a few items to finish it first.

So you bought it huh? ;) That was a nice jacket. I can attest to that. :D

Regards to all,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Dalexs,

I picked it up from a friend who is a vintage dealer...he occasionally gives me the sort of offers that I can't refuse, this was one of them. He did have a number of white dinner jackets, there may be some more there like mine. I can give you his email address if you'd like.

And yeah, jp...I was a little put off by the fit under the arms, but the cut really does look good. I ran it by the ladies first before buying it, of course.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey Wingnut, I would like your friends info. I need to find a nice white jacket for what ever may come up. You think that he might have a size 42 -44 long?

Well, let me know please.

Root.

PS. It's got to be "Palm Beach".

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hey Wingnut,

I'd love to get your friends email. I'm a 41L /42R depending, and white dinner jackets are pretty tough to find in the size for some reason.

Dalexs

Practically Family
a6_1_b.JPG

Well, it looks like I'm on my way to getting myself a Casablanca ensemble! Just won it today off ebay.
I sure hope it fits! And yeah, I know, they buttoned it backwards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner