Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridiculous Ebay listing!!!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've seen some silly ebay listings in my time, but this one must be one of the most ludicrous I have ever seen.

The seller describes it as "Ultra Rare VTG French Antique 1920s Wool Striped Patched Blazer Jacket Chore"

I would call it: A dirty French 1930s orphaned suit jacket in bad condition

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

The biggest laugh of all is the price they are asking: Buy it now £555

Madness. You couldn't sell the entire suit in good condition for that price!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, i agree.

i can understand high prices for original 'weathered' workwear but, as far as i'm concerned, shabby old moth eaten suits are unwearable and fit only for the recycling plant, or patterns.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
But who buys that stuff? I never see anybody wearing it.

And they look like they would stink of sweat, piss and mildew - not at attractive combination!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I admit to occasionally wearing a somewhat shabby East European 30s suit.
It has some serious mends but it is clean, well pressed and the heavy wear is not that noticeable.
But without doubt it would have ended in the junk had it gotten into someone elses hands.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Maybe it has to do with that whole, odd sort of phenomenon where rich people (who have 555 pounds to spend on a tattered old jacket) want to live the life of bums for fun, because they're curious. I remember reading about an expensive "shanty-town hotel" where people can stay to see what it's like to huddle around a metal barrel with a fire in it to keep warm. OR, just search for the Willian Shatner song (yes, William Shatner song) called "Common People" - that explains it better than I can.

Or the seller is just greedy. Either or!

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
ALSO, sorry for the double-post, but I like the part in the description that reads "All the wear in all the right place". Snicker snicker snicker...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Only with some amount of humor may I state this. A theory of sorts....perhaps?

In the US we see every once in a while, a homeless person whom looks totally pennyless....but no. The own a new Cadillac, have a nice home and family. They are a "pro". A Pro beggar. Perhaps this is whom buys articles of clothing like this.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
. The own a new Cadillac, have a nice home and family. They are a "pro". A Pro beggar.

Sure it isn't a rich guy just dressing like a downtrodden vagrant?
Many affluent people (not just in the US - also in Germany i.e.) are loathe to be recognized on the street as being wealthy - either that or they just have no interest in "fine clothing" in the first place.

Regarding the target group of ragged vintage clothing... it's the hipster crowd - often 20-30-somethings of affluent families who pretend to be bohemian and proletarian.

Sure it isn't a rich guy just dressing like a downtrodden vagrant?
Many affluent people (not just in the US - also in Germany i.e.) are loathe to be recognized on the street as being wealthy - either that or they just have no interest in "fine clothing" in the first place.

Regarding the target group of ragged vintage clothing... it's the hipster crowd - often 20-30-somethings of affluent families who pretend to be bohemian and proletarian.

Indeed, reminds one of the book " The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley

Regards

CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner