Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Excelled motorcycle jacket -- keep or return? (photo heavy)

How would you treat the mold in the pockets and possibly in the lining?

If it got that deep... I don't know. I guess I'd machine wash it or fill a tub with water mixed with alcohol and soak it in but I'm not sure how successful that'd be and what would become of a jacket. Thing is, it's much harder - and pricier - to come by such a jacket in Europe so I'd try things to salvage it but if it's simpler to just return it for a refund, that's what I do. If it's just not worth the hustle, go for another one. :)

Can you please provide a list of quality comparable brands I should seek? I had thought Excelled was on-par with the Sears Leather Shop brand.

And if anyone here has a comparable languishing in their closet, looking for a loving new home, in solid condition, please PM me.

This Excelled fits well for me and measures chest 21", sleeve 24", shoulders ~18", length 23.75" (25" with the collar).
Might be too large but a fine example of what can bbe had for a nominal upcharge:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112442048085
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222545200841
This is a Fidelity jacket. Patch cig pocket and slightly different config:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362007695323

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It fits you well.

I had left a Hein Gericke in the garage that fell off its hanger. It ended up getting wet repeatedly over a period time. By the time I noticed it, it was a mess. White and brown mold splotches.

I took it out into the street with the garden hose and a scrub brush. Hosed it down and went over it with the brush, hosed it again. Hung it up in a safer, dryer place for about a week.

All the mold was gone, although the jacket was pretty stiff. Pecards softened it up again. The jacket is fine.

For $50 I wouldn't bother sending it back. Clean it up and you'll have a nice jacket with character (although courtesy of someone else). Then wear it to death.

And do you know how long it takes to break in a new one until it has some character? My best looking jacket is one I've been down in, rode in the rain and snow in (as well as lots of nice days), sweated in, partied in, and slept in, over and over again (except the accident - that was once [in that jacket]).

It currently has a broken sleeve zipper, a ripped hand-warmer pocket, and some surface abrasion. I think it's all part of its character, and I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe the pocket).

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I wondered that too...! With some of the older, less expensive jackets I've sold on ebay, if I disclose the flaws, in detail, it seems that I always get more bids, and a better final price. So it's obviously in the interest of both the seller and buyer to be very open with the ad. Not to mention, better feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav