Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Right,left,or straight...which way does YOUR hat sit?

Stratoholic

New in Town
Apologies if there has ever been a thread about this before - but I'm "the new guy".

Which way do you tilt your hat on your head? To the left? To the right? Level? Down in front? Pushed up in front?

Thought it would be fun to see if there are any preferences, unwritten rules, nuances, or just plain habits as to how folks toss their lid on top of the ol' head.

Stan

A-List Customer
Straight and level

Hi,

Pretty much level in both planes for most of my hats. I do have a couple that I don't actually wear much with crowns a little too low, and they tend to tilt, but not in a uniform manner.

Later!

Stan

carter

I'll Lock Up
Generally straight on and down in front. I like the shade. However, I notice that my avatar shows a slight tilt to the right. Perhaps I'm a bit off kilter. :)

jpbales

Practically Family
hhmmm

usually I like straight and maybe a little low in the front, but sometimes i'll tilt with a stingy brim a little (because my girlfriend said she liked it haha)

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Just like Count Basie played, "straight ahead."

I always wear hats straight and sometimes pulled down in the front. I seldom like the look of a tilted hat, especially upon my ungainly head.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Although there is the common tendency to tip forward to get that swoop to show more from the front I tend to keep them level in profile.

With my western hats I keep them level.

From the front, with fedoras and even Open Road styles with fedora bashes I tilt 'em. I tilt somewhat to the right :) but my hats tilt to the left.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

On the frontal plane, I usually wear hats (or caps) tilted to the right, the severity of the angle is variable depending on the particular hat; not too rakish anyway.
Sometimes a given hat looks better to me straight, and so it goes. This seems to happen with porkpies, I think it has something to do with they being flat-topped.
On the lateral plane, I tend to wear them more or less straight or somewhat pushed back. Again, it depends on the hat. I may also modify this on purpose depending on the situation, as a gestual language tool.

Regards!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Pretty straight...like the guy. Maybe, when there's wind, pushed a bit deep up front, to tighten the brim against my forehead.
I do however fail to see how any one can wear a hat "brim up" (this seems to be, in some way, associated with "nice guy"...is this cartoon code?)

nola89

Familiar Face
Slim Portly said:
I understand JFK liked to wear his back, and to the left... back, and to the left... back, and to the left.

That was so wrong. Back and to the left (zoom) back, and to the left (zoom more), back, and to the left (zoomed to pixelation) lol :(

Seriously though, I wear slightly back and ever so slightly to the left. Come to think of it I wear certain hats differently. Some I always wear level, some only back, some back and slightly tilted. Weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran