Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rings

Edward

Bartender
To the best of my knowledge, both sets of my grandparents were married in the immediate post-war period (must check that out...). Their wedding rings were all simple plain gold bands.

A.R. McVintage

Edward said:
To the best of my knowledge, both sets of my grandparents were married in the immediate post-war period (must check that out...). Their wedding rings were all simple plain gold bands.

Yeah, my grandpa's is a 14k with the milgrain inset (of course, wearing it for the next 60 plus years wore most of the detail out).

wedding belle

Familiar Face
we got married 3 weeks ago

and didn't have rings (we both have engaement rings, both quite wide silver bands) we decided insted to wait and buy eachother a piece of vintage jewellery (when funds allow) Hubby wants a pocket watch and I'd like a piece of art deco (I'm not fussed what!).

The decison was partly financial and partly because neither of us could find anything that we liked tht would go with the engagement rings and we didn't want to move those.

Edward

Bartender
Good idea to wait and go for something that you really like rather than rush to have something on the day and not be happy with it. :)

When a couple of friends on mine at universtiy got married back in '98, the bride's wedding ring was an heirloom from the groom's family - I believe his grandmother, or great aunt (memory a little rusty, but some elderly and I think deceased female relative who had been an important figure in his life). Not something you hear about happening so much nowadays, but I think I'm right in saying heirloom wedding rings would have been more common back in the 40s?

Pinkie

New in Town
My bridal set is from the 1920s and were made to go together and I love stuff that matches! I wear both my engagement ring and my band on my left hand. The band always goes on the inside, closest to your heart.

As far as men's wedding bands, my husband has a vintage one, though I can't remember what year. His is white gold with a yellow gold stripe in the middle. I think men's rings were thicker than they are now and fairly plain.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
In my family...

...my wife, mother-in-law, mother, and paternal grandmother all wear (or wore) an engagement ring and wedding band.

Honing in on the 1920/30s, my grandmother had a platinum set in a deco design. The diamond is small by modern standards. According to my mother, the design was fairly typical of the time.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
Ring001.jpg

Ring002.jpg

My grandpa's wedding band from May of 1941. Now, for those of you who can figure out quick-like, you can see why, for all practical purposes, they were still newly weds in 1946.

Thsnk you so much - that's exactly what mine looks like!

lyburnum

Practically Family
This was my Grandmothers engagement ring, my Grandparents got married during WWII:

161007002fo8.jpg

She also had a gold wedding ring. Originally it had leaves engraved into it all around, but those wore off over the years. As far as I know she always wore them both together.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
My wife waers both her engagement and wedding rings. interestingly enough, though, my greandmother did not. her engagement ring was a ruby. She kept it tied in a handkerchief hidden in her dresser and only wore it on special occasions. My wife's and my wedding rings are plain gold with a rim similar to the one A.R.McVintage posted except the rim is like a dotted line (sorry, best way I could explain it). They are exact duplicates of my grandparents rings. We even bought them from the same jeweler thay did fifty years earlier.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
I am relieved to know that it still means so much to people, even after the knot has been tied! I see women on the shuttle to work on a dialy basis who only wear gaudy, heavy wedding bands that are so weighed down with diamonds that you can't even see their fingers. What ever happened to something meaningful ( size not being a factor!)????

By the way, what beautiful rings that were posted!

$ally

One Too Many
Lovely rings, all.
When I was married (for 12 years), we used the heirloom rings that belonged to my grandparents. There was some debate about whether to do that, but my parents couldn’t see him paying a fortune on somebody else's vintage/antique rings. This was more meaningful too.
It was a beautiful set, the engagement and wedding bands had a flip T-link to hold them together. I forget what that is called (I need coffee). It was such a beautiful set, I'll try to find a clear picture. We had to have a big chunk of gold cut out because my fingers are so small. We hated to do it, but it was the only way I could wear them. I wear child size rings, watches, and bracelets.

nyx

One of the Regulars
On my wedding day I put my engagement ring on my right ring finger. After the rings were blessed, my-ex put the wedding ring on my left ring finger, and then I transferred the engagement ring back to my left ring finger, on top of the wedding band. That's almost always how I've seen them worn, band on bottom, engagement ring on top, but I had a traditional Catholic ceremony, and I don't know if it's just a Catholic thing. My mother always wore her rings that way as well.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
My husband and I had our promise rings tattooed and I have ring that he had made for me that I wear in my left ring finger. It's white gold with a Emerald and smaller diamonds on the sides. Very chunky style. I'm not a dainty lady.

$ally

One Too Many
hotrod_elf said:
My husband and I had our promise rings tattooed and I have ring that he had made for me that I wear in my left ring finger. It's white gold with a Emerald and smaller diamonds on the sides. Very chunky style. I'm not a dainty lady.
Your husband made your ring? That is the ultimate in romantic.

Edward

Bartender
$ally said:
Your husband made your ring? That is the ultimate in romantic.

I remember reading something about a workshop thing you can go to as a couple in london and make your own wedding rings. Sounded like a pretty cool idea, though it was quite expensive - about GBP600 for the two, I think - as compared to about GBP50ea for a regular 9ct plain gold band. That said, though, money no object i think if I were to be getting married I'd love to have something just that little bit more personal, bearing in mind how long I'd intend to be wearing it.

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
My husband and I got married two months ago. As he didn't "propose" I don't have an engagement ring. Since the ceremony was 6 days after deciding to get married, rings weren't an immediate option.

He didn't want a ring and it really wasn't all that important to me that he have one, so he doesn't. (Plus, it wasn't until WWII that it became custom for men to wear wedding rings.) Our financial situation isn't one where we can spend money on luxuries, but I wanted a ring.

He told me to do the research and find one that I think would be best. After looking into the subject of materials (e.g. metals and stones), styles and costs of rings, I realized that if I were to get a ring to my liking it would need to be custom made, which would cost a small fortune. (I found that when I started looking at wedding bands and engagement rings, they all started to look the same; I guess you could say I'm very particular in my tastes). I am opposed to spending that much money on a band of metal, especially when the money could be better spent elsewhere. There was no way I would be able to have that ring and not feel guilt and remorse over it anytime I looked at it.

What I did find was a beautiful silver filigree ring on eBay (under $20, including shipping). I couldn't be happier. It's exquisite and totally guilt free! Everyone who sees it loves it. On top of that it looks like something that I would wear, not something that everyone else wears.

So, to answer the original question, I wear a wedding ring on my left hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari