Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rings

RBH

Bartender
These are not my photos [cant get them to turn out]{they are from the sites I got them at}

this is a stainless Scottish Rite 32nd Degree ring I wear ...

yhst1895982091878205023.jpg

and a jewel like the one Sean Connery wore in the "Man Who Would Be King"....
I have to tell you I LOVE THIS ONE!!!!!
They also have a Past Masters jewel I would LOVE to get!

jewele.jpg

If anyone would like info drop me a PM and I will let you know about them.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If I could, I'd love a signet-ring with my initials engraved into it in reverse, so I could use it as a sealing-stamp...which was one of the original purposes of the signet-ring (Signet - sign - signature, etc).

Edward

Bartender
Shangas said:
If I could, I'd love a signet-ring with my initials engraved into it in reverse, so I could use it as a sealing-stamp...which was one of the original purposes of the signet-ring (Signet - sign - signature, etc).

I shouldn't have thought that would be a problem for a competent jeweller. [huh]

johnny

New in Town
Johnny Depp wore a cool ring in Dillinger. It seemed to have a reddish brown colored stone. I don't have a pic, but I am still looking. Anyone know what kind of ring it was?

This did bring to mind a great scetch on Saturday Night Live with Joe Pesci that plays a whole Mafia scene trying on rings at a shop called "The Pinky Ringery" it maybe on youtube, it was very funny.

In general I don't wear rings, I don't want to damage them accidentally. Every ring I've worn always gets scratched and nicked up pretty quick, I chip the stone, etc.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
This is the ring I wear on a daily basis (besides my wedding ring). It's subtle enough that it doesn't scream my organizational affiliation. If you know what you're looking at then you know. I think it has a vintage look to it.

MasonRing.gif
[/IMG]

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
This did bring to mind a great scetch on Saturday Night Live with Joe Pesci that plays a whole Mafia scene trying on rings at a shop called "The Pinky Ringery" it maybe on youtube, it was very funny.

In general I don't wear rings, I don't want to damage them accidentally. Every ring I've worn always gets scratched and nicked up pretty quick, I chip the stone, etc.

Yeah, that sketch was great. I love all the in-the-mirror gesticulations he does to see which one he likes best. lol

I have my grandpa's signet ring that my grandma gave me after he passed away. It has his first and last initial stylized on the top, with her initials inside the band. I don't know what finger he wore it on when he wore it, but it only fits on my pinky. I used to wear it a lot, but I've cut back to wearing it when I don't have to twist wrenches, valves, reach past things that will scratch it, a.k.a 'the weekend.' If I had a camera, I'd post a picture, but alas I do not.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've posted this photo on another thread, but this was my grandfather's. He died in 1960 and I never knew that he was a 32nd degree...until Mom gave me this ring shortly after I was raised in St. John's #3.

Picture060-1.jpg

AF

Bugsy

One Too Many
I have a signent ring which I rarely wear, a diamond ring that was my grandfather's which is in the safe deposit box, and my class ring which sits in a drawer. These are the two rings I wear all the time. The garnet ring (my birthstone) I got at an estate sale. I'm told the basket weave on the gold work is very Art Deco. The gold ring with the Greek key design I got on the island of Hydra a few years ago. I was told that the key design stood for health and long life. We can never have enough of that.

IMG_0487.jpg

Naphtali

Practically Family
Wile I have wedding band, university rings, and NCAA championship ring, no longer being married, I wear only the NCAA ring. Since I'm about 3/4 the man I was 'way back when, I've been forced to insert a strip of U-Haul packing tape inside to reduce its ring size.

ENDORSEMENT: U-Haul brown paper packing tape is one of the inventions of our time. I replace the ring's tape about once a year. It's that durable.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
I currently wear a gold signet ring on my left pinky, with a very distinctive family crest engraving. I would like to wear a ring on my other hand as well, until I marry, when I will transfer the signet ring to my right hand and wear a wedding band on my left, in the continental tradition (unlike Prince Charles who, as an Englishman who wears a wedding ring (traditionally, Englishmen did not wear wedding rings), wears both the wedding band and signet ring on his left hand).

However, I find my options limited. Another signet ring would look strange, and while I would love an American-style college ring, these are not available for English universities. Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe something with a stone (possibly lapis) that can be worn on the ring finger of my right hand. Or are two rings too much?

Edward

Bartender
Max Flash said:
I currently wear a gold signet ring on my left pinky, with a very distinctive family crest engraving. I would like to wear a ring on my other hand as well, until I marry, when I will transfer the signet ring to my right hand and wear a wedding band on my left, in the continental tradition (unlike Prince Charles who, as an Englishman who wears a wedding ring (traditionally, Englishmen did not wear wedding rings), wears both the wedding band and signet ring on his left hand).

However, I find my options limited. Another signet ring would look strange, and while I would love an American-style college ring, these are not available for English universities. Any suggestions? I am thinking maybe something with a stone (possibly lapis) that can be worn on the ring finger of my right hand. Or are two rings too much?

Ironically, today I am wearing no rings at all as I type this.... that said, I normally wear at least three, and occasionally four - pinky and ring finger on the right hand, pinky and middle fingerf on the left. In the event that I ever did marry, I'd lose the middle finger ring on the left hand, as I am inclined to the view that three rings on one paw is somewhat excessive. YMMV, of course, but really I think it comes down to the rings themselves.... a handful of college and sovereign rings would look a bit much - something as dominant as that, I would suggest only the one at a time. Something finer and more subtle, though, I should think you could get away with a couple on each hand without it all going a bit Liberace. Also, IMHO, one can wear a little more silver-toned jewellery than it is possible to do with gold-toned and remain classy. I have a small collection of rings, and don't wear all of mine at once. As with watches, I prefer to stick with gold tone for day, silver tone for evening. I have several rings which fit the same finger, so I might choose one to wear based upon appropriateness to the occasion. For instance, I have a silver skull ring (a replica of one worn by Keith Richards) of which I am very fond, but I wouldn't tend to wear that one to work dos.... it's more appropriate for casual wear when I'm feeling a bit rockabilly / psychobilly; I also enjoy wearing it with a sharp suit or black tie, IMO in that context it can create a sort of GA eccentric villain vibe to it. I don't ten to wear that one around my mother, in whom it would spark the need to subject me to a long lecture about the "evil" nature of such symbolism. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran