Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roaring 20s Murder Mystery Dinner

texasgirl

One Too Many
In a couple weeks, I am having a Roaring 20s Murder Mystery Dinner and turning my condo into a Speakeasy! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have found a couple recipes and ideas, but if anyone has done something like this or has any creative ideas I'd love to hear them!

Redlights

New in Town
-Cover the TV with something, or hide it
-play some great music from that era.
-I would dim the lights or use candlelights, or throw pieces of red fabric over the lights (Make sure the fabric won't melt if it's by a light bulb) to change the lighting.
- When I think speakeasy, I think dark wood, rows of tumblers filled with moonshine and little flickering candles everywhere on tables.
- have the guests wear costumes!

I don't know much about the 20's...but maybe someone else can help you who would know more?

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
That sounds like a whole lot of fun, Texasgirl!

In the invitation, you might give the guests a "secret password" they have to say to get into the joint.

--Leslie

shindeco

A-List Customer
What fun!! I dug out my "Good Housekeeping" recipe book from 1922 and checked the section whre they have recommended menus.

For example, a Sunday dinner for November:

Okra Soup
Tenderloins of Pork with Sweet Potatoes
Creamed Cauliflower
Lettuce Salad French Dressing
Tapioca Cream
Coffee

(It's a great book because they also give the recipes for all these. If you need/want period recipes, just tell us what you need...)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
EVERYTHING IS IN TEXAS!

I apologize for that....

When you say "Murder Mystery Dinner", do you mean there will be some sort of theatrical act involved?

That might spur a few new ideas

texasgirl

One Too Many
happyfilmluvguy said:
EVERYTHING IS IN TEXAS!

I apologize for that....

When you say "Murder Mystery Dinner", do you mean there will be some sort of theatrical act involved?

That might spur a few new ideas

Don't apologize, everything IS in Texas!
Yes, there will be a theatrical aspect to it. We invited 20 people, and they all have characters to play. They have to dress up. One will be murdered and all the guests are suspects. So far, we found some fantastic music to play. I need to think up a "password" to send to everyone to gain entrance. Thanks for the food tips, though we have limited space and are going to try to do more finger foods, appetizers and such. Thanks for all the ideas!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
texasgirl said:
Don't apologize, everything IS in Texas!

Yes......(snickers at Texas)

:p

How about appetizers that are themed to the roaring Twenties?

for instance, "Capone's Blood Bread"

or "Roaring Yummies" or maybe "The stuff"

Not very creative but the point was made.

texasgirl

One Too Many
The party turned out great. Everyone had fun playing someone else and getting dressed up. Thanks for all tips- the password we used was they had to knock 3 times and say "Slim sent me" lol

1920sparty112bw.jpg

MurderatTheFourDuecesmecary.jpg

1920sparty094.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1269bwmomdad.jpg

1920sparty054.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
I don't know?!?! I just told everyone they needed to dress up and gave them some suggestions. A couple were from our reenacting group, so of course they didn't mind. I think everyone enjoyed getting dressed up from what I could tell. Some other details: We put a red light outside our condo, and at the top of the stairs inside (that's where the brothel was). Also, played music from the White Ghost Shivers http://www.myspace.com/whiteghostshivers and MORA'S MODERN RHYTHMISTS Devils Serenade http://www.morasmodern.com/main.asp Also we got lots of food ideas from this website http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1920s
We also served drinks in mason jars!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Girl Friday said:
Awesome, I just saw that they are playing at Lee Harvey's on Saturday night! Excellent!

http://leeharveys.com/pages/map.html

Awesome pictures!

A friend of mine is playing with these fellas!

Matt Tolentino. Anybody heard of him, even know him? He's in TEXAS too! :D

I don't know if I'm looking at photos from a party or an after party of a Great Gasby theatrical production! Looks like it was good party.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The party looks so fun! Everyone looks great, and it looks like it was a very fun evening.

And now for my nosey moment:

texasgirl said:
A couple were from our reenacting group, so of course they didn't mind.

I gotta ask, what do you reenact? I'm a WWII reenactor, so of course when I see another female in Texas mention reenacting, radar goes off. lol

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
ITG said:
Oh what fun! Your honey looks a bit like Dennis Quaid.

I was thinking the same thing. Striking resemblance.

It sure looks like you all had a great time. House parties like this are a (nearly) lost art. Thanks for keeping them alive. I'm sure your guests will remember this event for quite some time.

texasgirl

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
The party looks so fun! Everyone looks great, and it looks like it was a very fun evening.

And now for my nosey moment:

I gotta ask, what do you reenact? I'm a WWII reenactor, so of course when I see another female in Texas mention reenacting, radar goes off. lol

I am a part of Public Enemies. We do Bonnie and Clyde, gangster reenacting. I've only been to a couple events, but the group has been together for awhile. Here's the website http://www.reenactmentsetc.com/ although it hasn't been updated, I think the webmaster quit.

Thanks for all the wonderful replys everyone. And ITG and SinatraStyle I'll be sure to pass along the Dennis Quaid reply- he'll be quite flattered!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo