Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolled up shirt sleeves

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
I wish my Scout master would have had the sense to teach me something useful like that! (Or anything useful for that matter)

Unfortunately, my Boy Scout troop spent the majority of its time playing Dungeons&Dragons while a handful of us scouts went stir crazy, got bored and caused trouble because we had nothing to do. Needless to say, I was eventually 'discharged' from the scouts based on this merit. :mad:
We must have been in the same troop,:p though I did make Eagle Scout

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I find it practical either at mid-forearm or mid-upper arm, in other words, what I really dislike is a longish stiff cuff that's rolled up loosely to just above the elbow. Just as irritating as a cuff that's so wide it falls over your wrist and ball of the thumb.

For some less-is-more reason, mid-forearm seems to attract those interested in the male sex most.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
For some less-is-more reason, mid-forearm seems to attract those interested in the male sex most.

Probably because it is traditionally associated with a rebellious, rock n roll style.

My man wears his sleeves rolled up to mid-upper arm all the time, even if it's just an undershirt.

RBH

Bartender
Picture posted elswhere on the Lounge..

My grand father from 1936 with rolled sleeves.

They dont look like they were rolled evenly either.

cgbrockho6.jpg

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
any thoughts on sleeve garters? i personally can't stand it when a cuff touches my wrists. so i have taken to sleeve garters. can these be used to bring the sleeve up higher opposed to rolling them up?

Edward

Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
One of "Indy" Magnoli's shirts has this nice thingy:

mc-expedshirt-sm3.jpg

I think that originated with 'adventurer' type gear back in the day -not sure when, though. I've seen it on a lot of casual shirts this past Summer. I have a couple myself - it is very convenient if you prefer to wear your shirtsleeves rolled to just under the elbow; I like the look of them sitting just below the elbow, but if you're rolling them up for practical purposes to get on with some work, they don't stay up nearly so well by themselves as they do if they're up over the elbow.

I'm not much of an habitual sleeve-roller out and about, but when I've been out whether work, the theatre or whatever, and I come home and sit down, especially if I'm in a double cuff with links, it has become something of a ritual that the jacket gets taken off, the links come out, and the sleeves get rolled before I do anything else. No idea where I picked that up.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
depends on what im doing...working at a hollywood video we had to wear black button down shirts so i started rolling up to just below my elbow or for hard work, just above...the bosses were gettin pissed b/c it was "out of uniform" but i said my sleeves were too short and rolling them up looked better...they bought it lol ...young women co-workers admired the look and said so when we were beyond earshot...it looks cool...if i get asked to go to church or getting overheated at a dance i roll them up above my wrist...just depends...[huh]

Jovan

Suspended
It's funny they chew you out for that... but I bet they wouldn't say anything about having your collar unfastened. I had to wear a black buttondown at Barnie's Coffee as well and they never said anything because I kept the collar points well pressed. :p

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
yes i used to where leave the top few buttons open and they realllllly gave me a time about that so i eventually broke down after a write up and buttoned one...oh well...

fatwoul

Practically Family
Bertie Wooster said:
...Also the sleeves near my elbows are becoming worn as I will put my elbows on the desk when I am working. Elbow patches on shirts?

This is the reason I roll just past my elbows. I too spend half my life at a computer desk, so if I didn't, I'd have the same problem as you.

fishmeok

Vendor
Man, Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps have, to use the vernacular of today's kids, it going "on". Wish I could find pants like that...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo