Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rorschach of Watchmen fame. Movie Fedora?

hulkamad

Familiar Face
Hello everyone.

I am new to the board but have been lurking for a few weeks after stumbling into the lounge while using the internet to educate myself on what to look for in a hat/fedora, and what to avoid. Using the wealth of knowledge I've gained, I've decided to get an Akubra Federation Deluxe IV (Moonstone)! After it arrives, I'll be sure and post it. :)

One topic I've not seen discussed here that I've been wondering about (and if it has been previously posted, I'm soooo sorry. I swear I tried checking with the search feature every way I could think of!)

Does anyone know what kind of fedora the character Rorschach wears in the upcoming Watchmen movie? Can anyone suggest a brand or type that might be similar to what is seen in the trailers? I think I'd like to get one like it! Or at least similar...Any help or ideas from any of you knowledgable folks would be greatly appreciated!

I've scoured the internet to find stills and pics of Rorschach that may help in my quest.

Rorshachfrontcenter1.jpg
Rorschachfrontbig1.jpg
Rorshachposter1.jpg
Rorshachempire.jpg
Rorshachfire.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
It has an interesting mix of attributes; the relatively short brim and tall, straight crown give it an unusual look. Not impossible to replicate, but you may have to modify the hat. You could try getting an Akubra Federation IV and trimming the brim down.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Check out ebay. I see a lot of stingy brims there. Dobbs makes a lot of that type. Also, given the unusual bash, you might want something with an open crown to play with.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Lancealot said:
The bash reminds me of the French Connection porkpie.

Hi,

Not really, "The French Connection" porkpie has a frontal pinch:

PopeyeDoyle.jpg

But I agree the Rohrsach hat does have some general resemblance to this one. I had my own take at Hackman's hat with a vintage Mallory, which initially had a centerdent crease:

Popeye6.jpg

And I guess if you look for a similar vintage hat, and change the crease to a porkpie style crown, similar to the above, but trying to keep it taller (probably the hat in your photos has no telescope effect, it has a "crater" instead of a "dome"), and apply it just a slight frontal pinch, you could get a fair representation of Rohrsach's.

If you prefer modern stingy, stay away of those with too much taper, which it is the prevailing style.

BTW, the colour in Rohrsach's hat look like a tawny with a burgundy or maroon ribbon. Nice combo.

Regards!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Brim looks to be in the 1-1/2" range, but with a fairly straight sided crown. Nothing available straight out of the box looking like that now that I know of.

This is the reasonable approximation I did over halloween, using a '50s Dunley pinch front porkpie.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
feltfan said:
Very nice. Did anyone get it? A friend went as Dr. Manhattan
this Halloween and most people thought he was a member of
the Blue Man Group... Next Halloween it'll be different.
I was surprised how many people did actually get it. It was a pretty frightening getup to wear after dark, actually, so those who didn't get it were still impressed.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I forgot to mention, this sort of thing could also be acquired by way of a custom hatter, depending on your budget. I recommend Penman and Art Fawcett. Both could probably nail it. Also, Penman (Bending Oak) might be expanding into rabbit felt as an option, which would suit a lower budget for a custom.

Just a thought.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
I like the Hat

I like a lot of styles in Hats. That brim width and straight no taper high crown is very stylish! And as Not-Bogart13 has said a custom hatter could do You well hulkamad. I do think Art Fawcett is the best at low/no taper crown.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree WEEGEE.....

WEEGEE said:
I like a lot of styles in Hats. That brim width and straight no taper high crown is very stylish! And as Not-Bogart13 has said a custom hatter could do You well hulkamad. I do think Art Fawcett is the best at low/no taper crown.
I think it's a very cool looking lid, one I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I have to agree. I think Art would hit this one outa the park. I would love to see a copy of that hat on a head minus the costume, it would look amazing

As has already been said, replicating that hat wouldn't be at all difficult. The right block would be necessary, of course, but most any hat maker would have it and could nail the look.

As KeyGrip said, If you wanted something close for relatively little scratch, you might consider buying an Akubra Federation and trimming its brim. The Federation has a similar crown height and profile and the ribbon is about the same width, although that movie hat's appears to be just a tad wider. Federations come open crowned, I understand, so you could shape it like the movie lid. (Yes, you can. There's really nothing to it.) If trimming the brim seems a bit daunting, a Western wear shop in your neck of the woods may be equipped to do it for you. Such shops often have these brim-trimming tools that take off either a quarter or an eighth of an inch (depending on the model) with each pass.

It's a cool hat, and an unusual one. I can see why you like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24