Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rules for wearing a straw hat

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedPop4 said:
I'm not an anarchist by any stretch, and like many here, some rules of etiquette that hearken back to a more polite time are indeed exemplary. However, I live in New Orleans, and if I had to wait until May 31st every year? It'd be quite miserable.

Certainly. I've never known of May 31 being a transition date at all in the South, but rather Easter.

duggap

Banned
OK, here is my $.02 worth. If you need a coat, don't wear straw. If you don't need a coat, then wear your straw. I might be inclined to follow another set of rules if someone will just pass them.:p

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
And Mark Twain wore his summer suit all year 'round. It can't possibly worse than flip-flops and shorts in the dead of winter...

Frederick Chook

New in Town
Just to confuse the issue... wearing a straw in the city? In a semi-urban, recreational sort of area? In the country? And the tropics! What of the tropics!

(okay, to answer my own questions in order, some fusspots might say no but yes, of course, if it suits the terrain, naturally)

Orgetorix said:
I'm not sure why so many people here have such antagonistic attitudes towards "rules."

The problem doesn't arise from the fact that the rules (advice) exist(s). Listen in, this has formed one of the more popular mischaracterisations of my position in the last few weeks. Rather it stems from the fact that the rigid adherence to these rules limits ones sartorial enjoyment - and for those who don't actually get enjoyment from matters sartorial, their blind trudging along the rules makes them see faux pas where there are none.

A brief example: early last spring (maybe it was two years ago, i don't recall) there was an amazing day of heat in Lafayette, IN. I live about 5 blocks from the public library and since i had to go there i threw on a pair of white Palm Beach trousers, a summer weight shirt and a Panama hat. I got to the library, having sweated myself silly, and the librarian immediately said to me:

"You know you're not supposed to wear any of that that before labour day?"

I replied:

"Why?"

The inevitable answer?:

"because you're not"

This person has had it drummed into her for so many years that "you're just not supposed to" that she cannot think beyond the rule. The common sense nature of dressing oneself has been obliterated by mindless adherence to what she thinks is a hard and fast rule.

Fact is, a straw hat won't do you much good in a snow storm; a felt hat will. Since snow storms are most likely in winter, straw hats are not usually seen. But, on a 65-70 degree day in December (and believe me, we had a few in Lafayette this winter), the rule would tell you that it's "inappropriate" to wear a straw, even though it may possibly feel better than a felt. Likewise with white shoes, it is more likely to be dry and the land not covered in mud in the summer so it's less likely you'll get your shoes dirty. Hence, white shoes are generally seen in summer, not winter (clearly the man who wears white shoes to a mudbath and then complains about them getting dirty is an idiot, but i've never witnessed this). But, there can be times in winter when it's equally dry & not muddy, so why shouldn't one wear white shoes on those days in winter?

because you shouldn't

bk

jkingrph

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
The problem doesn't arise from the fact that the rules (advice) exist(s). Listen in, this has formed one of the more popular mischaracterisations of my position in the last few weeks. Rather it stems from the fact that the rigid adherence to these rules limits ones sartorial enjoyment - and for those who don't actually get enjoyment from matters sartorial, their blind trudging along the rules makes them see faux pas where there are none.

A brief example: early last spring (maybe it was two years ago, i don't recall) there was an amazing day of heat in Lafayette, IN. I live about 5 blocks from the public library and since i had to go there i threw on a pair of white Palm Beach trousers, a summer weight shirt and a Panama hat. I got to the library, having sweated myself silly, and the librarian immediately said to me:

I replied:

"Why?"

The inevitable answer?:

"because you're not"

This person has had it drummed into her for so many years that "you're just not supposed to" that she cannot think beyond the rule. The common sense nature of dressing oneself has been obliterated by mindless adherence to what she thinks is a hard and fast rule.

Fact is, a straw hat won't do you much good in a snow storm; a felt hat will. Since snow storms are most likely in winter, straw hats are not usually seen. But, on a 65-70 degree day in December (and believe me, we had a few in Lafayette this winter), the rule would tell you that it's "inappropriate" to wear a straw, even though it may possibly feel better than a felt. Likewise with white shoes, it is more likely to be dry and the land not covered in mud in the summer so it's less likely you'll get your shoes dirty. Hence, white shoes are generally seen in summer, not winter (clearly the man who wears white shoes to a mudbath and then complains about them getting dirty is an idiot, but i've never witnessed this). But, there can be times in winter when it's equally dry & not muddy, so why shouldn't one wear white shoes on those days in winter?

because you shouldn't

bk
Personally, I would prefer a tightly woven straw in a snowstorm to no hat at all!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've got a new Panama that has been waiting for a good, sunny, warm day. :)

Excellent points, BK. In the end, warm clothes are designed to keep the body warm in cold weather, and vice versa. Heavy woolens when it's 15F, break out the linen when it's 80F.

For me personally, the added layer of wearing items within certain, very broad ranges of dates and circumstances adds to my enjoyment of it all, because part of the appeal for me is the observance of a certain tradition, and a love of ceremony. While I am utterly unconcerned about breaking some "rule" about wearing this or that hat on any given day (those rules contributed greatly to the demise of near-universal hat wearing), I still wait until winter is solidly behind us to begin wearing a straw hat regularly. Fall is another matter: as soon as it is chilly, it's all about keeping my head warm and felt is entirely appropriate.
And I think lightweight and light-colored felts are fine all summer long, if that suits your fancy.

It's almost as if we had to say "ENOUGH!" and kill off hat wearing altogether to break those ridiculous and restrictive rules, in order to safely return to the enjoyment of hat wearing unfettered by the claptrap.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:

I'm sorry if I mischaracterized your position.

Baron Kurtz said:

I replied:

"Why?"

The inevitable answer?:

"because you're not"

That's unfortunate, and it was rather rude of her.

Baron Kurtz said:

Perhaps the demise of true elegance and style over the last several decades has left people unable to understand and use the rules appropriately, and all they can do is slavishly follow rules they don't understand. In that case, our task is not to get rid of the rules, but teach people to understand them and how to break them appropriately and with style.

Baron Kurtz said:

Because of tradition. Because I wish to acknowledge that I'm not a sartorial island, and I don't exist in a vacuum. Because, just as I try to show respect for others around me in the way I dress, walk, and talk, I show respect for those who have gone before, as well. Because of the same reasons I tip my hat to ladies and eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Not to worry

SamReu said:
Loungers, help. Is there a particular date, eg, after Memorial Day, post-Easter, etc., when it is acceptable to swap out the felt fedora for the straw? It's getting hot down my way, but I live in dread of committing a faux pas. Anyone?

Like there are a ton of people who would be offended by an improper wearing of a straw. The hatless crowd dosen't have a clue as well as the baseball cap guys who can't ever seem to take theirs off (in restaurants). The rest of the population reads posts on this forum and you know we are a gentile and forgiving lot.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...I'm at a point where I wonder if the so called 'rules' were really rules (as in you'd get thrown out of a gentleman's club or respectable restaurant for wearing out-of-season clothing) or simply guidelines that most people recognized as reasonable and saw the purpose behind them. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

...and as has been pointed out, most people don't have any idea. Those who do see it as some sort of regulation carved in granite.

If it's hot and sunny, it makes sense that light weight materials and lighter shades are going to be cooler. Heavier materials and darker shades will conversely be warmer. The season, or more importantly the weather, not the date, is what dictates what you wear. I found out last year at New Years' that a tropical weight white dinner jacket ensemble is a stupid decision on a 40 degree night...does give one an excuse to cuddle with the girlfriend, though.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The tradition is true

It was "tradition" for the switch from felts to straw and vice versa to be as Dr. Strange stated:

"Back when the summer season wasn't bounded by Memorial Day and Labor Day, the old standard "Straw Hat Day" was May 15 (and correspondingly, September 15 for putting away straws).

But honestly, I would go by temperature!

This thread could have ended right then:eusa_doh: :p

It is like brown vs. black shoes with what color suit. If you have ever been out on a sunny day with your felt, and wished you had your straw instead, then you know when it is the right time to "switch". And damn the "fashion police".

Here is the SF Bay Area, in the summer we get our natural air conditioning, the FOG. You get up in the morning and it is cold, and you better have a jacket. By lunch, or if you move farther inland from the bay, to Walnut Creek or the Diablo area, you better have your straw.

You can ruin a felt hat by wearing it on a hot hot summer day, and sweating it to death. And get heat stroke at the same time.

I have even put a hat box in my trunk, and switch hats. Felt in the morning, and then swap with the straw in the trunk for the afternoon, and then back again when the fog rolls in during the evening. Our temp's can go to the 60's in the morning, 90-100 in the day, and drop (thankfully) to the 60-70 range again in the evenings.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My Panama

Not to completely change the subject, but I have a middling quality (meaning pretty good) Montecristi that will be going into its 5th summer this year, which is more than I expected to get from it when I got it. I have to confess, I'm a pincher (I'm trying to mend my ways!). The result is that my Panama is very squeezed in front, and even has some broken straws. Some sneaky little holes poking through the front. This sort of gives it character, but is there any way to repair this?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Rules

Back to the rules question. Why don't we just use the word "Conventions" instead of "Rules"? Some of us are more conventional that others, some more unconventional.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
STRAW HAT RIOT

The Straw Hat Riot-1922

Gangs of young hoodlums ran riot in various parts of the city last night, smashing unseasonable straw hats and trampling them in the street. In some cases, mobs of hundreds of boys and young men terrorized whole blocks. Complaints poured in upon the police from men whose hats were stolen and destroyed. But as soon as the police broke up the gangs in one district, the hoodlums resumed their activities elsewhere.

A favorite practice of the gangsters was to arm themselves with sticks, some with nails at the tip, and compel men wearing straw hats to run a gauntlet. Sometimes the hoodlums would hide in doorways and dash out, ten or twelve strong, to attack one or two men. Along Christopher Street, on the lower west side, the attackers lined up along the surface car tracks and yanked straw hats off the heads of passengers as the cars passed.

The street where such incidents occurred were strewn with broken straw hats. Hat stores which kept open last night were crowded with purchasers of hats.

One complaint was made of a gang swarming on an open street car and attacking the passengers to get their hats. A man who said he was E.C. Jones, a promoter of 70 West 93rd Street, telephoned to the Times that this happened when he was riding uptown on an Amsterdam avenue car between 135th and 136th Street about 9 o'clock last night. He said the car was attacked by a group of boys who later disappeared in a mob of about 1,000 who were destroying straw hats along Amsterdam Avenue. Jones said he complained at the West 152d Street Station and the mob was dispersed.

The police were kept busy trying to protect people on Third, Lexington and Park Avenues, between 102d and 125th Streets. Even Plain clothes policemen King and Lamour of Inspector Sweeney's staff were walking down Third Avenue when ten or twelve boys armed with sticks dashed out of doorways near 109th Street. The officers caught eight of the youngsters and took them to the East 104th Street Station. As they were all under 15 years of age, they were not arrested. Lieutenant Lenihan lectured them and sent for their parents, recommending a good spanking for their offspring. He also warned the boys that if they were brought in again for the same offense they would be locked up.

Acting Detective Sergeant Brindizi was attacked by a gang at 102d Street and Third Avenue and his hat thrown into the street. He ran after his tormentors, was tripped and fell headlong into the gutter. He arrested Leo Cohen, 34, who gave his address as 71 West Fiftieth Street, as the tripper. Cohen was taken to the East 104th Street Station on a charge of disorderly conduct.

Harry Gerber, 25, of 69 East 115th Street went to Harlem Hospital for treatment for injuries received in fighting off straw hat vandals at 115th Street and Park Avenue. When a crowd of boys tried to seize his hat he put up a fight and was badly beaten and kicked.

Harry Oldbaum of 325 East 103d Street was surrounded by a crowd at 116th Street and Lexington Avenue. His hat was torn off. Unlike most of the civilians subjected to the same annoyance, he showed fight and chased the youths. He caught a boy who said he was Morris Sikeowitz, 16 of 224 East 170th Street and took him to the East 104th Street Station. Morris was charged with disorderly conduct.

A. Silverman was sentenced to 3 days in jail by Magistrate Peter a Hatting, in the Night Court. On Thursday Magistrate Hatting had given warning that he would impose jail sentences upon any one brought before him on the charge of smashing straw hats. Abraham Birnbaum of 522 Lavonia Avenue, Brooklyn appeared in court, as the complainant against Silverman.

Just before he sent Silverman to jail, Magistrate Hatting discharged Sikeowitz, the youth arrested at 116th street and Lexington Avenue. The Magistrate was about to send Sikeowita to jail despite the intercedence of Oldbaum, the complainant, when the sight of the prisoner's gray-haired mother, 70 years old, caused him to relent for her sake.

"But I'll send the next one to jail." said the Magistrate. "I intend to see that citizens are protected in their property." Silverman was the next one. Cohen, the man arrested for interfering with Detective Brindizi, denied he had tripped the officer, and was discharged by Magistrate Haiting. He said he was a special officer employed by one of Childs' restaurants.

John Sweeney, 10 of 363 West Sixteenth Street, ran into an automobile driven by John Monfort of 111 East 19th Street, while John and other boys were enjoying the hat-smashing sport on Seventh Avenue between Seventeenth and Eighteenth Streets. His right leg was broken. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital for treatment.

Patrolman James Sheehan of the Oak Street Station arrested two boys whom he saw smashing a straw hat at First Avenue and Seventh Street. The boys said they were Walter Shulka, 13 of 302 East Seventh Street, and Abraham Silverman, 12 of 94 East Seventh Street. They will be arraigned in the Children's Court Today on the charge of juvenile delinquency. An hour later Patrolman Sheehan arrested Abraham Moses, 15, of 816 East Nineteenth Street, at Tenth Street and Avenue A. on the same charge.

At Madison and Thompson Streets a boy knocked off a man's hat with a long stick. Then other boys kicked the hat along the street until it reached another boy, waiting to jump on it. The owner of this hat seized Salvatore Camellino, 15, of 13 Hamilton Street, who was taken to the Oak Street Station on the charge of juvenile delinquency. Patrolman Delehanty of the Clinton Street station arrested, Louis Silverman, 17, of 218 Madison Street, on the charge of breaking a man's hat in front of 197 East Broadway.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Got in last evening, saw a note from the wife. She'd headed across the park to get the boys from after-school activities, and would be walking back with them. I hopped out of the work duds and into some looser-fitting attire to stroll toward the park, planning to meet the family heading my way. The day was still warm, the sun brilliant in the west. I reached in the closet for a comfortably worn straw fedora. A felt hat would have been too hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner