Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rules on Shoe color?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Most of my life, I have stuck to a basic set of rules when it comes to the color of my shoes. I wear black with gray and black clothes, brown shoes with tan and brown clothes, and either color shoes with green or blue clothes.

Recently, I have seen and heard that it's ok to mix these up (like brown shoes with a gray suit). Anybody in the know that can illuminate the "rules" of shoe color?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I don't know the "rules" but my wife the artist approves of my wearing brown shoes with gray slacks. She says it looks good. I'm partially colour blind so I don't know if it looks good or not.

Matt

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I think brown shoes are fine with grey, as long as it isn't a super dark grey. If a particular "blue" is closer to midnight blue than navy, I might also stick with black shoes. A green with a lot of brown should be treated as brown, and thus worn with brown shoes, IMO.

Black with black, brown with brown, and I think it really depends on the particular shades/tints otherwise.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brown shoes are fine with gray and navy. In fact, I prefer them with navy over black.

Brown with gray:

p1012125me0.jpg

Brown with navy:

p1050564rx1.jpg

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
Brown shoes are fine with gray and navy. In fact, I prefer them with navy over black.

Brown with gray:

p1012125me0.jpg

Brown with navy:

p1050564rx1.jpg

That's just wrong! Is there no one here who is from the era when we all lived in suits during the week?

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I only manage three days most weeks :(

Then again, I am a 23 year old in IT. Most of my co-workers take the dress code literally (which is basically "something nicer than jeans, and a collared shirt").

AlanC

If that's wrong then I don't want to be right! lol

fatherandsoninnavydn8.jpg
raincoatsoy7.jpg

coatsps4.jpg

shoes3rdcopy7srspring32yl3.jpg

shoes6copy6olspring32uf9.jpg

Now in deference to our outraged friend, when dressing more formally, black is the way to go.

formal1copy7gpspring332kc2.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Considering the way people dress today I did not notice any of the pictures posted that will get anyone transfered to a the mailroom department. :rolleyes:

Not that there is anything wrong with working in one..

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
actually....in big business these days....the mailroom folks are all contract labor...and wear jeans, a uniform polo shirt and tennis shoes.

And in half of the business world....so does the CEO ;)

So I think Alan and his fantastic fashion sense is still ahead of the game...both in dress and polite behavior.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think I understand the negative reaction to Alan's Navy with brown pic. But I think it's the lighting or the flash, because it does look off. But I find blue and brown work well together. I am amazed at how good the grey and brown pic looks.

It really warps my mind, but the trend of opinions suggests I could get away with one pair of nice brown shoes to wear with almost anything! :eek: I am floored by this.

Feraud

Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
I think I understand the negative reaction to Alan's Navy with brown pic. But I think it's the lighting or the flash, because it does look off. But I find blue and brown work well together. I am amazed at how good the grey and brown pic looks.

It really warps my mind, but the trend of opinions suggests I could get away with one pair of nice brown shoes to wear with almost anything! :eek: I am floored by this.
I do a navy suit with brown shoes. It looks great. My co-workers (none of which know where the mailroom is) will attest to this..

Don't take our word for it, try it for yourself and see how you like it. :)

AlanC

It is true that I pick up the mail at work, often while wearing brown shoes. Coincidence? lol

Maybe I'll wear this again next time...

sswrightsil0.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cordovan,....

Have we forgotten Cordovan, the color? Oftentimes mistaken for brown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordovan_(color)
I used to sell,(or attempt to anyway) Florsheim shoes, and cordovan was the color of choice to match anything other than black, which of course we all know only goes with black. :rolleyes:
Anyway, cordovan is a sort of burgundy really, which does in fact go with grays, blues, or browns. The definite orangey brown colored shoe really only looks good with clothes in shades of brown or even green. And sometimes even navy or gray, but it's tricky,...very hard to pull that one off as in the old ads in magazines. Analogous color schemes always work.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
It is true that I pick up the mail at work, often while wearing brown shoes. Coincidence? lol

Maybe I'll wear this again next time...

sswrightsil0.jpg

I love those shoes. (I think I just turned into Sarah Jessica Parker!)

Seriously, they look great, especially with those trousers.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
The rest...are guidelines...meant to be flaunted by those who have their own style and the attitude to carry it off.
I agree entirely!:eusa_clap
Be limited only by your boldness and imagination!
Some of my shoes, I wear with every color. I have a pair of high brogues in an almost taupe color that I bought in Venice. I have worn them with jeans, white pants, a cream suit, navy suits, gray suits, khakis, and a brown suit. Love 'em and they look great with all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot