Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sabrina Hat

bettylovekitten

New in Town
Can anyone tell me what kind of hat this is in the Sabrina movie and where I could possibly try and find one?

sabrinahat.gif

Erica :)

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
The Sabrina Hat

Just as I had suspected Edith Head was the Costumer for the 1954 Paramount Billy Wilder film!however, Miss Head was a bit of a person who didnt' give credit where credit was due as the Wiki on EDITH HEAD said & hollywood was well aware of!Here's a quote:Although Edith Head won an Oscar for Best Costumes, most of Hepburn's outfits were created by Hubert de Givenchy and chosen by the star herself. Edith Head refused to be shown alongside Givenchy in the credits, so she was given credit for the costumes, although the Academy's votes were obviously for Hepburn's attire.[citation needed] Edith Head did not refuse the Oscar. The film began a life-long association between Givenchy and Hepburn (it has been reported that when Hepburn called on Givenchy for the first time in Paris, he assumed that it was Katharine Hepburn in his salon.)
SO with this history having been told I then would have to state the following although don't absolutly quote me on this!
I think that you could find that hat on ebay or etsy either one!given the time frame (1954) it would be a beret type hat since the film is basically about Paris.(Read the Wiki on SABRINA 1954) more than likely made out of a cream wool.
so...cream wool,pillbox/beret, the sides would be firm and it just "rests" on the back of the head instead of being squashed down onto it to hold it in place!
you may be able to find it in a hat shop at the present as well or burlington coat factory may have it!there is a place out here in CA that sells lids!I think is:Lids4 us or lidsRus somethig to that it's in San Deigo,CA you can google Hat shops in San Diego,ca.try that & I'll keep looking for you!
1*Cool*Kitten!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
ETSY Item: B1380 Vintage 30&#... Seller:mmmoonchild
I had this lovely long note typed out to you & wouldn't you know it!I lost the entire thing!AARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH I hate the thing that does this it's like "ohph!yo've not done anything on the FL for ooh 10 seconds so lets erase everything you've written so far & go back to the start line!your finished!AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR:rage:
SO the item I found for you needs a little starching but it will be fine it's a MOLDED FELT BERET & they were all over the place back in the '50's!take a look & let me know if I hit or missed the mark!
Rita

bettylovekitten

New in Town
Yes! I want it! lol I hope I can get it soon! My mom has been trying to search for hats...but they are more square shaped than the one in the picture.

the Milliner

New in Town
That little white hat

Watch the film the hat was in and you can see the other side and maybe get a better idea about the hat. It looks to me like a little white felt cap, not a beret and I can make that for you. Let me know if I can help you - I would love to. I am a milliner, I design and make womens Vintage style hats. www.themillineryshop.etsy.com

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Here is another shot of the hat. Like it has been said above it looks like a felt/cloth i don't know... i think it looks better when its worn a little lower like this... it's a "Givenchy".... but apart from that iI'm sorry I can not add anything more.:)

untitled-18.jpg

Would that be the same hat we are talking about? You can see here a little of the back, this shot is also from the movie "Sabrina" she is with William Holden.
3203929.jpg

bettylovekitten said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of hat this is in the Sabrina movie and where I could possibly try and find one?

sabrinahat.gif

Erica :)

Hi Betty - the style of hat Audry is wearing here is called a calot (French for "cap") and they were also very popular in the 30's and 40's - particularly with the "younger set." There are variations, of course in the details, but they all sit closely on the back/crown of the head.

If you knit or crochet there are many vintage patterns available for them out there:

Here is one version from 1938 - available free on the web:

ghat3.jpg

I believe I have a few patterns as well, so if you would like copies let me know and I can scan them for you. :)

the Milliner

New in Town
Sabrinas Hat

How I love a hat challenge.

The original picture shown looks like it is a simple blocked felt cap. The two other pics look crocheted, not knit, at least to me and I think the crocheted hat is an open cap, almost like a wide stretchy band. I did try to get the film online but am afraid to download from questionable sites. Does anyone out there have the film and can you see other scene shots of this same hat?

I am intrigued by this, that's for sure. If it's a plain blocked felt, it would be easy for me to make. If it is crocheted, probably everyone here can make one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I watched the movie this afternoon. It looks like it's a wool that's been corded around the circumference. I have a hat with a similar treatment in my collection. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow when it's light outside so you can see what I mean.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lauren, is this the hat you mention? This photo was also taken on the set of "Sabrina".
Now I'm beginning to wonder, are those 3 different hats? they could be, or is it the same one? the thing is that she is always wearing the same earrings so is it just one outfit?.... i really don't know! :p

3203926.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup, that's it. But now, in that one, it looks like tucks! It's the mystery hat!
Great clear photo, Hadley.
I think it was probably very light in color which doesn't translate very well into film- that's why in some shots you can see it more clear than others.

bettylovekitten

New in Town
I'm so thankful for all the help! I still want one of these! I guess until I find exactly what I want I'll just be searching for hats all over the place and maybe I'll find others i can wear in the meantime. :)

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
ok Dolls/Ladies, they are 3 different hats!
the plain one in the photo that started all this it is deffinately a MOLDED FELT Beret not the typical beret of flat round felt that gently is pulled atop the head with a little "stem" coming off the top like a Tam o'Shanter!
This is a MOLDED hat that is made of felt that is STIFFEND with Starch it is "MOLDED" the reason I know this is because I have a black velvet "beret" that the little old lady who gave me all her vintage hats not too long ago!
The other hat with the tucks is also a Molded hat but it is as was mentioned "pin tucked" with the pleats going from the front of the hat pleating downward towards the nape of the neck!the reason for this is......to show off the decorative hair at the base!
the other hat is a turban type hat hence the reason why the open back of the crown!it mgith ahve been made out of a very fine or soft knit fabric since the turban was popular back then as well!
GIVENCY was stolen from by Head bad blood in hollywood over that tactic!Givenecy WAS Hepburns designer primerly by her & all of her [studio]"contracts" included him in them!Naming him directly as her costumer!
Princess Grace of monaco followed suit as she became a studio/boxoffice star as well.If you go into the web sites I quoted you will find the actual costumes,history & phots of the Sabrina movie!
My suggestion is to subscribe to NETFLIX for all of the older movies so that you can go frame-by-frame and do your research!
Happy hunting!I love hats! & since I grew up in the hollywood area,I'm pretty certain of my facts!
but never take anyones words for fact!do your own research!then you know what's what!
Good luck Dolls!
1*Cool*Kitten

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
starching

ask the milliner about this one because all I've ever seen "starched" were the hats that were already Molded like the one I referred to you on etsy (it was already formed but needed a little opph) or my 5X Bever stetson Cowboy's.those were already formed at the factory but just either needed reshaping or re-stiffing!
of the 3 hats that we've been discussing for you the only one that is a molded form known as a beret (not the man's version) is as they have said a "skullcap" type of beret that would have to be resteamed,sprayed with the starch mixture,then formed.
if the milliner has wooden hat forms (remember eh said he could make you one of these hats) then you may be able to ship it to him for him to reshape,stiffen using his wooden molding forms.
all I can say is ask him if it's possible for you to send it to him for stiffening.........Which leads me to another question:Did you purchase the hat off etsy?If so if you have a saddle shop or a cowboy appearl western wear or outfitters near you they have the steamer to do the hat's ask them if they'll do it,a lot of times they are profecient in cowboy hats but will tell you they do not take responsibility for "other" hats.try it I've gotten several of my vintages done at my local western wear shop.it's worth a try!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24