Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sabrina

RedPop4

One Too Many
Anyone see this mid-1990s movie with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond?
I was futzing about on the internet, and I look up at the movie my wife is watching on USA Network. And I see Harrison Ford getting into a car wearing a nice black homburg.

Now, I'm not a homburg guy, but it looked purty good, only ruined by the big frame 1990's glasses.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ms Ormond was appropriately cast as Sabrina, she reminds me
of Audrey Hepburn; however, I thought Ford miscast, though I
do favor Homburgs.:) :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I saw this film when I was little and found out a few years ago that the original one starred Audrey and Bogie. I think Bogie pulls off the homburg better...or maybe because it was in black and white?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedPop4 said:
Anyone see this mid-1990s movie with Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond?
I was futzing about on the internet, and I look up at the movie my wife is watching on USA Network. And I see Harrison Ford getting into a car wearing a nice black homburg.

Now, I'm not a homburg guy, but it looked purty good, only ruined by the big frame 1990's glasses.
I have seen this movie, mostly out of curiosity, to see if it held up to the original, which I adore.
It's not a bad movie. Ford and Ormond do work well together. But, nothing beats the original. Audrey is captivating, as usual. And the clothes are to die for. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the re-make of any vintage movie. In some way or another, they end up not measuring up to the stars of the originals. But, Harrison Ford is one of those few modern stars with a golden era look and attitude about him. If anyone can pull off the star quality needed to emulate a golden era dreamy guy, Ford is high on the list.
All together, not a bad movie at all. One of the better re-makes done in somewhat recent years.
Here's imdb's info on the original Sabrina from 1954.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love both the old and new Sabrina, but I think I prefer the new one. The cast was absolutely perfect. Humphrey Bogart (though I love him as an actor) just wasn't believable to me that Audrey would fall for him...now Harrison Ford...:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mysterygal said:
Humphrey Bogart just wasn't believable to me that Audrey would fall for him.
I agree. FYI, Billy Wilder wrote the role for Cary Grant, who turned it down. :eusa_doh:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
I agree. FYI, Billy Wilder wrote the role for Cary Grant, who turned it down. :eusa_doh:
I've read about that! He would of been SO perfect for that role...even though he's been such a huge success, I wonder if he wished he accepted the part?

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I am not usually a fan of remakes, but I like this one. I think Greg Kinnear is hilarious, and I LOVE Harrison Ford in this movie. I also believe Julia Ormond was appropriately cast. She was enchanting, with her wide eyed wonder.

The problems I have with it tend to lead towards certain directorial choices and pacing, but all in all I think its an enjoyable film (enough so that I have a copy myself).

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I think Billy Wilder is completely inimitable, so a remake of one of his movies is completely unecessary. That being said, I'd agree that Bogie was a bit miscast as the homberg-wearing, kind of weak-wristed Linus. William Holden was spot-on, though, and Audrey Hepburn was basically playing herself.

Did anyone recognize the Baron she meets at the school in Paris? He was Marcel Dalio, who played Emil the croupier in "Casablanca" and, more brilliantly, Lt. Rosenthal and Robert in Jean Renoir's masterpieces "The Grand Illusion" and "The Rules of the Game," respectively. Just your trivia for the day.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
I love the first Sabrina (1954) Audrey Hepburn, Humphry Bogart, William Holden. Audrey was so beautiful when she came out in that ballgown. It's the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen. She actually inspired my hair cut. :) Marvelous acting. I haven't seen the re-make though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AudreyH said:
Audrey was so beautiful when she came out in that ballgown. It's the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen. [/I]
Sabrina won an Academy Award for Best Costumes due primarily to Audrey's wardrobe and Edith Head accepted the award. Problem was, Ms. Head had not actually dressed Audrey, Givenchy had.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I was at the video store after the new "Sabrina" had come out and heard some people complaining about the the awful changes made. One person thought the whole bit in the new movie about them having "an indoor pool and an outdoor pool, an indoor tennis court and an outdoor tennis court" was just pointless and annoying. Another comment from the same person (or their friend) was that the original was so much better because this new one has Ford falling for Ormand and he's really too old for her. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

AudreyH

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
Sabrina won an Academy Award for Best Costumes due primarily to Audrey's wardrobe and Edith Head accepted the award. Problem was, Ms. Head had not actually dressed Audrey, Givenchy had.
Actually! They both did. Just she had worn more Givenchy outfits and the ones that obviously made her win were his most likely. She did wear one outfit by Edith Head though. At the very begining she was wearing a dress it had a long sleeve black shirt under it. the one she wears when she's in the garage and linus finds her trying to kill herself. So actually Edith helped in some what way, but obviously Givenchy deserved the award as he did most of the clothing and the best clothing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou