Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
SAFARI EXPRESS RIFLE THREAD

I'll start. Here's the first of the herd.
Winchesters New Safari Express in 416 Remington Magnum

416REM.jpg

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
416 Remington Magnum?

How many rounds do you have through it? What is the most you've shot it in a day, and how much in $ a round? There's a zoo in town, and you never know when them darn Elephants are going to get in your garden... :rage:

The school down the street had a Buffalo (their mascot), but by the time my Sharps was delivered, we didn't live there anymore.

Later

Atomic

One of the Regulars
When was this rifle made? The stock looks to be in perfect condition, is it new or just extremely well taken care of? Looks like a great rifle! Nice jeweling on the bolt ;)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Well technically its a medium bore, but it was popular for African game in the German colonies: Chapuis 9.3x74r "express rifle"/SxS double rifle. Quite popular for driven game hunting in Europe.

350179108.jpg

When I have my handloads right she can do this (4 shots in 1 1/2") at 100yards:

143905763.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
9.3X74R

Chasseur said:
Well technically its a medium bore, but it was popular for African game in the German colonies: Chapuis 9.3x74r "express rifle"/SxS double rifle. Quite popular for driven game hunting in Europe.

350179108.jpg
Great Double Rifle and a great round! Actually, the Germans used the 9.3X74R to hunt elephants in the late colonial days! It will definitely take anything on the North and South American continents.

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Atomic said:
When was this rifle made? The stock looks to be in perfect condition, is it new or just extremely well taken care of? Looks like a great rifle! Nice jeweling on the bolt ;)

It's brand new. Just got it a couple days ago and awaitng for the .458 and .375

Levallois

Practically Family
Mauser action in .318 Westley Richards caliber in a custom case that was sold to a Major Blackburn in 1919 by George Gibbs. I haven't been able to find out anything about the good Major. There were a few Major Blackburns (and more than a few Captains - if he received a promotion) that survived the Great War and I haven't been able to narrow them down.

The crown jewel of my meager collection. A true work of art and probably a joy to take on safari. The .318 WR caliber actually uses a .330 diameter bullet and had a very good reputation for being adequate at taking down everything but water buffalo and elephant. Although, I'm sure it was used for those animals as well.

Gibbs_318_WR_2.jpg

Gibbs_318_WR_1.jpg

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Levallois said:
Mauser action in .318 Westley Richards caliber in a custom case that was sold to a Major Blackburn in 1919 by George Gibbs. I haven't been able to find out anything about the good Major. There were a few Major Blackburns (and more than a few Captains - if he received a promotion) that survived the Great War and I haven't been able to narrow them down.

The crown jewel of my meager collection. A true work of art and probably a joy to take on safari. The .318 WR caliber actually uses a .330 diameter bullet and had a very good reputation for being adequate at taking down everything but water buffalo and elephant. Although, I'm sure it was used for those animals as well.

Gibbs_318_WR_2.jpg

Gibbs_318_WR_1.jpg

What a wonderful legacy to have. Thanks for sharing LV. :eusa_clap

Mike K.

One Too Many
Nice thread Duke Nukem. I just received my new Winchester 70 Safari Express several months ago. From what I gathered at my local gun shop, I was one of the first 3-4 people in the country to receive the new 375H&H. :D So far it has been an absolute dream. It's so nice to see an old legend resurrected, especially with all the great pre-64 features we've come to love on the Winchester 70. I have mine set up with a Leupold VX-II scope and fixed Talley rings. Ammunition is all hand loaded so I save money (sure beats $2 per round) and have tremendous control over what I fire. Whoever says the 375H&H is too much gun for North American game is wrong! I can go with a small 200gr bullet at a mere 1700fps or load up to 350gr solid and full power for the big & dangerous game. Currently, I primarily use a Speer 235gr bullet and 55gr of H4895 powder, which is pretty darn close to the performance of the venerable 35 Whelen (and, yes, the recoil is very mild :p). I'll be using this load for a Red Deer hunt next month.

...oh by the way. I am averaging 1.5" groups at 100 yards with this rifle! :D

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the range report Mike. I glad to here that seeing I also have allocated a M70 .375 also. Were waiting for the production run of the .458 also.
The .375 is the smallest I would use on Moose myself. I have seen videos where the Moose was shot 5 times with a .338 and just stood there. :eusa_doh:

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Here's 600 reasons for the .375. lol
I have en-route 2 70 pound flat rate boxes from an elderly gentleman that unfortunately could not go to Africa.
That's 140 pounds of bullets for the .375 and .416. :eek:

BARNES2.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Michaelshane said:
1941 Win mod 70,375 H&H.Lyman 48 receiver sight.

P1030737_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Great action, time-tested DG cartridge and one of the best, most reliable sights ever made. One word: CLASSIC!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Holy crap!!! You'll be at the loading bench nonstop for the next year. But it sure is fun working up new loads. The new Winchesters are really fine rifles and it is so good to see this old classic brought back to life in the Safari Express edition.

DUKE NUKEM said:
I have seen videos where the Moose was shot 5 times with a .338 and just stood there. :eusa_doh:
I had an empty soda can do that to me! lol I fired two 375H&H rounds and thought I had missed since the darn can just stood there. Come to find out, the first shot hit dead center but didn't knock the can over. The second shot also hit...and went through the exact same hole as the first round! I really need to post pics of that shot! :D
As for the moose, that's a big animal and the 375H&H would fit the bill...but so should the 338 and even some smaller calibers. I've heard and read about this happening on a large variety of game (Africa, N. American, dangerous, non-dangerous). Not including the bad shots, I honestly think (wildlife biologist's opinion here) that many animals experience immediate shock that causes them to simply freeze, while others hang on until oxygen and adrenaline dwindles.

But we've digressed from the thread topic....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21