Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Renault

One Too Many
That's the reason I will keep mine. I have never had a bolt action rifle that handles as nice as that little 46. Now if I could find one in 6.5x55 it would be a really good day.

47 grains of H4895 and a 270 grain Speer hot-cor work pretty good in my x57. I haven't been able to locate any of the old Norma 286 grain factory stuff. I don't think they import it anymore which is sad.

Renault

One Too Many
Well fellas, traded off my Whitworth Express.375 H&H. So I'm out of the "magnum" safari rifle business. But I traded it for this!!!

Mfg 1953. 30-30. Lyman 66A receiver sight. And not only is it deadly accurate, but a lot easier on my arthritic shoulder!

jkingrph

Practically Family
NIce!! About 11-12 years ago I found a couple of the 1894-1994 centennial rifles in one of the sporting goods stores that was beginning to go the more trendy route. They had one on display, so I bought it then had my son stop on his way home from law school one day and pick the other one up. I am sure they are not as smooth or as well fitted as that 1953 model, but with nice roll engraving, very pretty wood, and Lyman tang sights are good shooters although I have only used cast bullets so far.

They are basically the same configuration, 26" barrel( I think, anyway it's long) button magazine, pistol grip, and the biggest difference is a crescent buttplate.

I purchased the whole set of 1894-1994 Centennial lever action rifles from Winchester in 30-30. 1994 was the year my son was born and I mainly bought them to pass on to him. I did fire the shortest barreled rifle which I think has a 20" barrel. It kicked more than any rifle or shotgun that I own..and I have quite a few in many calibers.
HD

Renault

One Too Many
When someone mentioned "deer rifle" I always envisioned a model 64 like this one. Always wanted one! And this one happened in the shop while I was in south Texas several weeks ago. So I had to have it.

As for safari. I still have ol' Meat In The Pot! My 9.3x62. That will prolly be my Valhalla rifle. It will be burned with me! LOL!

jkingrph

Practically Family
I was not thinking when I posted earlier. I have my fathers old Marlin 336 SC in 35 Rem. He liked shorter barrels, so got the carbine, where I tend to like longer barrels, but at about 7 years old in 1952 I did not have any input on that one. I'll pass it on to my son or grandson some day.

Renault

One Too Many
Btw, on our trip to south Texas one of the fellas managed a nice nilgai cow (= awesome eating!), with his custom Mauser .458. I believe he had it loaded with some 350 grain Barnes triple shocks.

fireman

One of the Regulars
That is a great looking rifle. Thanks for posting the pics.

Well fellas, traded off my Whitworth Express.375 H&H. So I'm out of the "magnum" safari rifle business. But I traded it for this!!!

Mfg 1953. 30-30. Lyman 66A receiver sight. And not only is it deadly accurate, but a lot easier on my arthritic shoulder!

jkingrph

Practically Family

That's one fine looking rifle. Probably 12-14 years ago I picked up a couple of the 1894-1994, Model 94 centennial rifles in essentially the same pattern The have rather fancy wood, although the wood to metal fit leaves a bit to be desired, 26" half octagon-half round barrels, crescent buttplate, 3 shot magazine, Lyman tang sight, and the receiver is engraved with a deer hunting scene. The year had to be around 2000 or 2001, and they still had two nib. I picked out one then had second thoughts and went back and bought the other. I have shot one with cast bullets and it's pretty good. I'm not real crazy about the crescent buttplate,
but in a mild cartridge like the 30-30 it is not bad, and I do like the long sight radius provided by the long barrel and tang sight.

416rigby

New in Town
FN Browning .375 H&H Spent 15 years in Africa as a loner rifle.

Attachments

• .375 smaller.jpg
    .375 smaller.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

416rigby

New in Town
.416 Rigby, Ruger RSM with extensive home action and wood work and home grown rear site.

Attachments

• this one.jpg
    this one.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 505

416rigby

New in Town
twins close.jpg Top, my new Searcy 470 NE. Yet to shoot it, some of my reloading stuff must be caught in the great back East snow storm hahah
Bottom my 1920 Yohann Springer 9.3X74r. I had great luck in developing a regulating load, second try and it shoots as good as I can hold at 50yds. Hope the 470 goes as smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21