Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sandbags outside Buildings; what purpose?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys,

I asked this question once before on a history forum, but I wasn't able to find the topic where I asked the question, and that was years ago now...

...But...In period movies, in old movies, in photographs, in newsreel footage of the Second World War, we sometimes see buildings with sandbags stacked up outside them, up against the walls.

What was the purpose of the sandbags? What were they meant to prevent or protect against?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They were/are used as an inexpensive protective against explosive blasts and shrapnel. All the tiny grains of sand also help dissipate the blast.

Story

I'll Lock Up
You're all pathetically wrong.

They kept the buildings anchored, during periods of high wind gusts generated by low-flying Dorniers.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
You're all still wrong! It was a wartime fashion statement, they made the buildings look really really cool! The fact that it protected the building from bomb blasts and shrapnel just happened to be a convenient coincidence,

ron521

One of the Regulars
Everyone has seen the episode of "Friends" in which Monica puts her bottom in the open refrigerator to cool off?

During the Golden Era, most buildings were not air conditioned, so people would open their icebox doors to cool the interior rooms.

Sandbags helped insulate the buildings and keep the cool, comfortable air inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925