Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Say Hello to a newbie, and his favorite hat.

Flick

Practically Family
Hello,

I have been lurking, and decided to join the fun. I must confess...I have been a hat-aholic for more than a few years now, and acquired a few here and there. Mainly in the guise of Blues Harmonica, which is also one of my faves. I love what I have seen and read here so far, but I must confess that I don't have anywhere near the vintage class that I see exhibited here...but one can aspire. I have a special jones for fedoras, and for your viewing pleasure is one of my faves. A Stetson Imperial in Chocolate Brown.

2.bmp

91.bmp

1.bmp

8.bmp

Can anyone direct me to posts regarding this hat?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome from your Bartender, Andykev

Welcome aboard! I edited your post..the images didn't post. I added the correct ending and beginning
to allow them to properly load. !! Nice!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hey Flick, nice hat, what is the button thing on it for, is it a strap for auto driving? I have seen it several times yet I do not know what it is. And good work Andykev.

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
wind cord or trolley cord

Mycroft said:
Hey Flick, nice hat, what is the button thing on it for, is it a strap for auto driving? I have seen it several times yet I do not know what it is.

I have heard them called both wind cords and trolley cords and was told their function was to deploy to keep the hat from blowing away if it was blown off your head. The elastic cord lifts off the crown and is fastened to the hat, the button is then buttoned into a button hole on your clothing somewhere.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Another Newbie

I have sympathy for you, I wish my wife had sympathy for my addiction. I live just down the road from the Stetson Factory outlet, and have dove in deeply for the past decade. To the extent that I have no room left on the closet shelves for my hat boxes!! The going rate for Stetson Dress Hats (?) was and maybe still is around 25.00 (factory seconds). If they didnt have your size they would go to the back room, pick a good one, and punch a hole in the sweatband for you!! Some service!! Anyway, I am glad to know that other folks suffer from the same addiction that I do. From Panama's (Panama Bob before he was Panama Bob), to felt Stetson's and Akubra's. Maybe I should joing the 12 step program. Anyway, the sun is out and I am recently diagnosed with discoid lupus, which means hide from the sun. I'm trying!!! Glad to see others are also. ONE QUESTION TO ANYONE: Since Im new, who is trustworthy, reliable, and GOOD when it comes to blocking, sweatbands, bands. etc. Any help always appreciated. Im tired of throwing them away when they need a little help. Might keep me away from Stetson Outlet for a while!!!!!

Flick

Practically Family
Thanks to all for the comments. And a special thanks to Andykev for all your help in posting the pics...and by the way...I'll have a double, Mr. Bartender :cheers1:

Dave Keith is, I believe, correct. The button is a safety measure so as not to lose your hat is a very stiff breeze. I didn't know what they are called. BTW...I'll have another stiff one, Mr. Bartender :beer:

My wife has also been casting a baleful eye toward my voluminous hat collection. And I dare not even suggest that I might want a new one, or I would have to consider retiring to the doghouse...again... But I have been working on trimming the collection, and I could also use a good Hatter for help. Heck, I have even considered taking up the needle myself, as I have a few really nice hats that need the leather sweatbands resewn. I have been working on learning how to clean them properly. I have an old Jiffy Pro-Line Steamer that I pulled off the (I haven't touched anything on it in ten years) shelf this past week, as well as an very awesome very old electric metal hat stretcher that I have already completely apart intending to rewire it safely, and a box full of hat brushes, cleaning sponges, Miracle Spot Remover powder, and an old metal National hat brim trimmer.

I also have a few hats that I would like reblocked. I can get away with spending a few sheckles to refurb hats I already have...in order to sell them again...of course. ;)

I love these little smilicons...

How about anotheeeerrrr one Mrrr..Barrrtenderrr

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Welcome guys. Glad you like the place.

For those whose wife's are giving you some lip over your lids:

If she has more shoes than you have hats.....perhaps she might want to rethink her position.

.....if you have more, you might go buy her a few pair. ;)

Flick

Practically Family
Perhaps I paint her worse than she is (Glad she is not reading this). I have lots more hats than she shoes. She is very conservative with the sheckels, but does relent when I just have to have something. It's my jones that she does not understand. I have hobbies, such as fedoras, wherein I must amass volume of items (hats in this case). She has none, except her house. She tells me that Dr. Phil has a condition for this. I tell her Dr. Phil has a condition that is involved with vested interest. He has to sell TV shows based on pop psychology, and collecting things is an easy one to lambaste...since there are lots of folks like me. I look at it as I am sure most of you folks do as loving the vintage look as well as protection for my thinning noggin. How's that for justification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot