Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scalp treatment

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My other half has just finished spraying our 1938 Austin Big Seven with cellulose paint, and although he's been doing it in the garage, the fine black dust has gotten everywhere. About the same time (this spraying has gone on for a few weeks!), my scalp began to get very itchy, bumpy and sore. In fact I suspected at first that I had the dreaded nits (having a liitle'un and working with kids, evne teenage ones, it's a hazard), there was nothing to see but I treated my hair anyway, still no relief, and it was then that I realised it was the paint causing it.

It's finished now and we've blitzed the garage and house clean. My head feels much better, it isnt sore anymore and is clearing up but my scalp still feels dry as if I have dandruff, it almost feels like I need to exfoliate it!

Can anyone recommend a treatment, hopefully homemade, I could put on to soothe and moisturise my scalp? I did think of plain olive oil with clingfilm over the top, then under my drier. My poor scalp needs some TLC!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here are some I've found online:

• Mix one cup of dried thyme or fresh, crushed mint into three cups of water. Pour over your hair and do not rinse. Steeping the thyme or mint in the water first (to make a tea-like mixture), and letting it cool before rinsing has a stronger effect.
  • Process one egg in a blender until frothy. Add 1/2 avocado (peeled and mashed) and 2 tablespoons wheat germ oil, blend until smooth.Using the mixture right away, part hair into sections and apply mixture first to scalp, and then up the hair shaft toward ends. Once you’ve completely covered hair, cover with plastic wrap and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse out and shampoo as usual.
  • Warm some coconut oil and apply to the scalp before bedtime. Use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to rinse in the morning. Wait 30 mins and shampoo as usual.
  • Mix some olive oil and almond oil and massage into your scalp. Leave for 5 minutes then shampoo as usual.

The olive and almond oil sounds like it would feel and smell nice :)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I have no idea if this is appropriate to your condition at all, but when I get the itchy bumpy scalp (allergies manifesting themselves in this weird way!), I wet my hair, pour over a capful of Listerine, let sit for a minute, then shampoo as usual.

I got the idea from my old magazines. Old Listerine ads promoted its use for a number of things other than mouthwash. It's helps the itchiness and flakiness. Don't worry, the smell washes out with the shampoo.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
My indian girlfriend recommended the Olive oil treatment, you can also sit in a hot bath with it on which is extra effective, she wraps her hair in a towel and then puts a carrier bag over the top and leaves it for a few hours.

Hope your bonce gets better pronto!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks for all those ideas ladies. Lots of nice natural ideas for my poor wee head, although the Listerine one sounds very odd!

I think I'll try the oil based ones. Mind you I'm so intregued by the Listerine that I might give that a whirl first, it sounds like it'd give you a lovely fresh, minty head!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Mind you I'm so intregued by the Listerine that I might give that a whirl first, it sounds like it'd give you a lovely fresh, minty head!

It does sound interesting, like it would give you a nice tingly sensation :) I've been having minor hairline irritations lately, and I think I might try it myself.

Tell us how the treatments work, WD!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Well, I tried the Listerine this morning. I only used a little, mainly because thats all we had left, but it did leave my head nice and minty fresh!

I can't say it did much to help my scalp but it's good to know I won't get any cavities there now!

Drappa

One Too Many
My first thought would be honey. It works on dry chapped lips and is good for your hair, though depending on the thickness may be difficult to get out. I did a honey hair mask years ago and it was lovely.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok, this is what I have tried, I'm not sure what would suit you, so I am listing everything.

Ground up Almonds (Almond Flour)- when I get a bad, bad case of dandruff, I have used this to exfoliate my scalp. Add enough warm water to make a paste (it is really not a paste, but shouldn't be water-y- just moist) and add to wet hair around the scalp. Scrub (gentle!) all over your scalp and then rinse out. It will all rinse out (and what doesn't will brush out when dry- just be patient). Shampoo, etc. as usual.

Another, lighter exfoliant is to use 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda in 2 cups water. Put on wet scalp, scrub (gentle with fingertips) and then rinse. This works best if you follow your rinse with a vinegar rinse (1 teaspoon white or apple cider vinegar to 1 cup water), which you apply to your hair and then rinse out with water.

White Vinegar- I've used this to sooth an itchy scalp- it actually works wonders for dandruff, etc. Pour half a cup into a plastic cup, add warm water to fill the cup, and then pour over your scalp. *Do not get this in your eyes*- it will not harm you but it will sting and be really temporarily painful. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, rinse out and wash as normal.

Oil treatment- if your scalp is dry you can apply oil to your scalp. I've only ever done this in the shower, but if your scalp is very very bad, some people do this overnight. I apply a mixture of almond oil and coconut oil to my wet scalp/ hair, let set for 5 minutes, rinse, and then shampoo out. If you do it overnight, wet your hair, apply the oil (you can "rinse" because it won't get all the oil out if you apply too much) and then put your hair up in a shower cap to sleep. Then you can shampoo out in the morning. (That is if your hair and scalp and really dry).

You can also do a rinse with rosemary leaves like the thyme one that C-dot posted.

ETA: I wanted to add that you can also use brown sugar to exfoliate and honey to moisturize- some people mix them together and give their wet scalp a scrub with them before they shampoo. However, I have never tried this, because I can't use honey or sugar in my food, so I don't have them around my house.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I believe the mentality behind the Listerine rinse is that it is an antiseptic, and would kill any bacteria, fungus, infection, whatever, that might be causing scalp irritation. That said, probably any antiseptic rinse would work. Original yellow Listerine just didn't have the minty scent & sweetness like mouthwashes now that might leave your scalp sticky!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks for all the ideas, I really like the sound of the scrubs you suggested sheeplady.

I have just tried olive oil + lavender oil, massaged in, bag over, then under the dryer. Although I massaged shampoo into my scalp before I wet my hair to get it out it's been a bit of a nightmare, mainly because the oild seems to have mixed with the flakes to form what looks like bit of rubber! I had to brush it hard then wash it out again to try to remove them.

Grrrrrr!!!

Sheeplady's scrub next I think, my poor hair!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes, on the Listerine, it's to combat what might be causing the bumps and itchiness. And I should have said to use the "original" old yellow Listerine that doesn't have any flavoring in it or the other stuff... no need to control plaque on your head!

And also, don't get it in your eyes! Trust me... it smarts! But good luck getting some relief. I'm eyeing up some of those scrubs, too!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you do think you have a yeast infection on your scalp, I'd avoid sugar, honey, etc. as that would feed any yeasties there. Stuff like almonds, baking soda, etc. (non-"sweet" things) won't feed the yeast.

The rubbery stuff might come out with the almond scrub, I don't know. I do know that it can get out some really bad dandruff buildup. I hope you get some relief. I hate having a yucky scalp.

zombi

A-List Customer
You can also use monistat cream on your scalp if you think you have a fungal or yeast issue. I know it sounds weird, but, I know several gals who've done this and it helped them.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
If you are prone to eczema it could be flaring up on your scalp too. I know I get it in the winter when it gets really dry here. When we had well water at our house mine was getting really bad too I think from all the minerals in the water.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
The thing is, I don't suffer from eczma although I do have naturally dry skin and hair. I think this is all the fallout from my weird allergy to that cellulose paint/thinners, etc. I'm assuming it'll settle down over the next couple of weeks as my skin naturally sheds and renews.
I fancy trying the scrubs anyway as it sounds a very refreshing thing to do and will avoid nasty chemicals.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

It does, but it will strip the colour from your hair if you use it regularly! Blondes use it to combat brass tones, or enhance their natural colour. Susan Strasberg (ugh) claimed Marilyn Monroe suggested it to her.

I fancy trying the scrubs anyway as it sounds a very refreshing thing to do and will avoid nasty chemicals.

It will probably also help your skin shed faster, and thereby lose the allergy more quickly :) I had a scalp scrub done once, it felt amazing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy