Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scarf anyone?

matei

One Too Many
I have an older Burberry scarf, from the days before the brand became synonymous with chavs and knackers... Unfortunately someone burned a wee hole in it, but it isn't noticeable.

I also have some nice tartan-type scarves, but they tend to shed lint...

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Yes and no

Mycroft said:
I think this belongs more in the tux. thread, but do any of you all wear an aviator scarf with a tux.

I have a white silk one but I've never worn it. It belonged to one of my grandfathers - actually it's probably more like yellow silk by now. Seems I recall that white or black silk are correct with evening clothes. But, that might be a regional thing.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scarf?

Isn't there another name for the scarf Matt is wearing?
I want to say "muffler" but I'm not sure that's right.

In any event, I mean the light rayon, silk, or acetate scarves,
usually with frilly ends, that are tied in front. Some gangsters
were famous for wearing them. Here's Capone's:

http://members.fortunecity.com/moran9/id49.htm

(beware of annoying pop-up ads on fortunecity.com)

No, I'm not thinking cravat or ascot.

In any event, I have a few in great deco patterns.
An relatively undiscovered source of deco design.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Cravat wearer Alan?

Douglas anyone?

Douglas_Bader.jpg

When I think 'Bader', I think blue/white polka dots-

B
T

Raffles

New in Town
shamus said:
I have a few cashmire ones that are great. Seem to be a lot from scotland.

I currently work for a cashmere retailer in Scotland and we import all of our stock from abroad. Which broad I don't know...

But cashmere is all but impossible to farm in this climate.

Mycroft

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
WW2 RAF pilots who operated at high altitudes used silk inner gloves, socks and sometimes silk underwear... silk is warm AND light. A silk scarf will keep you warm.
Silk is normally a tightly woven textile-

B
T

I guess I was using the cheap stuff.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Silk

Assuming that all silk fabric is the same is like saying that all cotton fabric is the same. Silk comes in a variety of thickness, weight and texture. MOne of my hobbies is survival camping and until the advent of 'technical' bas layer fabrics it was hard to beat silk underwear for being warm and windproof. You can't grow silk in Paisley, but just to the south in Kilmarnock, where the climate is milder, is the legendary Silk Road to Pollockshields...

If you listen to BT he will tell you that the best Cashmere comes from India. I would say it's from just across the order in Pakistan. (Just affiliation). It used to come from Kashmir, but recently they've been too busy doing other things...

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24