Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 618hh. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi guys. I am looking for advice, opinions, and info on the Schott 618hh. I checked some of the previous threads and gained some information. I had a problem viewing the pics in previous threads (something about a third party).

Some of my findings and opinions:

The Good: An American classic, Schott has been in business for over 100 years (they must be doing something right)

The Bad?: Off the rack, I am worried the jacket will be too short for riding, The horsehide Schott's use, Lack of inside pockets

The Ugly: To me, this is the best looking Brando jacket out there. To me all the other makers seem just a little off. Nothing ugly about the Perfecto, But I am a little worried about the infamous "Schott Shine".

This jacket will be used as a motorcycle jacket. Fit is very important. I am worried the jacket will be short in the back and sleeves. I am 5'10" about 225lbs. I am also concerned about the hh they use. Is it too shiny, does it make it look cheap or like vinyl?

I hope to hear your opinions or comments, and maybe see a pic or two. The good, the bad, and the ugly, all are welcome.

Schott makes a great jacket no question about it. But if I'm being totally honest it's simply not the best in this style as an m/c jacket. Fixed belt, relatively short sleeves and body length...it wouldn't be my first choice.
An upgrade (in my opinion!) would be a Vanson CHP, model C or model E. I've owned several model E's and they literally blew the Schott 118 I had out of the water. Schott perfectos seem to come with a beer belly when the belt is fastened. It's ugly to look at and impractical to ride with. Hide on the Vanson is thicker and heavier, cut of the jacket is better suited for riding and you have the ability to customize the fit, should you need to. You'll also wait a lot longer for it and the break in period is no joke. But for a dedicated riding jacket. Nothing beats a Vanson.
Price wise they are ballpark similar as well. Maybe a bit more $$ but you know where that $ went instantly.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Ton that Schott's value as a serious MC jacket doesn't compare favorably with Vanson, if that's the price range you're looking in. In terms of looks, I think most Schott designs are cooler, and less "70's leather daddy" than some of Vanson's designs, but for practical riding and protective gear Vanson are clearly superior. A few years ago, Schott used to be a couple hundred cheaper than they are now, and now that they're in the $600-800+ range, I think Vanson is a better buy for about the same cost (and less in many cases). I don't think Vanson do HH tho, maybe special orders and special edition jackets only, so if you're set on that, you might not find what you're looking for there. Langlitz and Cal Leather are in another price class entirely, and obliterate Schott in all respects, except variety of styles offered. You can sometimes find a good Aero MC used in the price range of a new Schott, and those are worth considering if you're looking for a good high end HH jacket.

I would recommend finding one you can try on and handle in person, to satisfy your curiosity and answer all questions. See if you can find a local retailer that carries their jackets. You can judge the fit, the thickness, and answer all your questions. If not, I think Schott has a decent return policy, 30 days from the shipping date.

As for the shine, when it is new, it's going to be shiny, and may look a bit plastic-y. Wear it often for 2, 3, 5+ years and you'll be rewarded. Schott leather ages very well, and will look terrific once broken in and the new has been beaten off it.

One of my favorite jackets is my Schott x Context CX113 D-pocket in natural Horween CXL HH. It's a limited edition, slim fit, and shows Schott's attention to detail is there. I wish all Schott jackets were this good.

I also have an awesome looking early 1990's era 115 in Brown (for sale in the Classifieds) and a 609 in Brown (not for sale). I had a distressed 141 that had a trashed lining in the sleeves, but looked great otherwise -- I moved it for close to what I paid for it earlier in the year. I also own a Schott half-belt work jacket that feels heavier and thicker than any of the MC jackets of theirs that I've handled (go figure), and is big enough on me that I can wear it over a thick sweater with no problem, but I'm likely to move it on too, as I just have too many jackets and it's one that I don't go to very much anymore.

I wish all Schott jackets were this good.
You and me both. And this I forgot to mention! The collabs and recent CXL renditions have been so nice to see. They look better, they're sized better. Just all around a better jacket than the off the line stuff. It seems they always raise the bar when they collab with another company. Everything gets monumentally better...hide, sizing. All of it.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe that Vanson and Langlitz do offer horsehide by special order, but I think it almost doubles the jacket price!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You can also try Lost Worlds, if you want a lifetime jacket in FQHH that is Chrome Tanned.

For me, the deal breaker is the 5.5 oz Quilted lining on the 618HH. Makes the jacket simply too warm, especially since it can't be removed. Also the Schott's I've tried, as the folks above indicated, had shorter sleeves than other brands. Some of thier styles are made out of the country, so watch that fact too.

I do like this comparison chart on thier website, takes a lot of the guesswork out: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/horsehide-perfecto-leather-jacket-black.htm

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Some fast answers- there is a sort of inner pocket. Sort of a map pocket, a pouch. Yes, when I first bought mine I thought it was made of vinyl. As the jacket breaks in however it gets less (though still) shiny and shows up great grain. From the beginning is incredibly smooth and soft but stiff. I prefer this leather compared to the 618 steer.
I don't ride a motorcycle but to me it looks thinner and lighter than my 618 steer. For riding I would choose a thicker hide or more probably something with armour.
Here you can find some photos of mine when it was 1 year old. Now, 2 years later, the grain is much more prominent and it has become even softer.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/schott-618hh-grain-and-creasing.84983/

robrinay

One Too Many
I’ve got a Schott 628H and would consider it ok to wear while riding my Brompton folding bike, but wouldn’t dream of wearing it as personal protective equipment (PPE) on a motorbike. The leather is too thin to stand any serious abrasion and there is no room to wear armour.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have a Schott 641HH and it's fantastic mate. Shiny as when "new" but breaks in just lovely.

I ride Harleys as my daily transport here in Perth WA ( except on rain days and days over 40C!)

The jacket is well made , and gets good comments everywhere I go in it.

Go for it mate ( sorry "pal" haha...)

Reactions: SJC

Edward

Bartender
I’ve got a Schott 628H and would consider it ok to wear while riding my Brompton folding bike, but wouldn’t dream of wearing it as personal protective equipment (PPE) on a motorbike. The leather is too thin to stand any serious abrasion and there is no room to wear armour.

No, me neither. I have a steer 618 which I picked up used. It's a nice jacket, though to be honest I wouldn't pay retail price. Too many other alternatives out there which can be just as good but at a similar or lesser price. A nice jacket, certainly, but not, in my opinion, close to Aero or Eastman. I bought mine to replace a used Aero MC; the Aero is the better jacket, but the cut of the used one I bought was too dramatic a drop chest to waist for me. Schott has shot up in price in the last year or so here, which I assumed is to do with the pound being so weak against the dollar.

Aside from whether they're worth what they charge - which is a subjective, personal decision - Schott makes a nice casual jacket. I quite like the shine on the horsehide anyhow, but it does dull down as the jacket ages. The newer Schott HH jackets (at least since 2012ish, not sure for how long) are hide only, rather than the hide-with-glued-on felt backing they were at one time. Very nice casual jacket, if not one I'd wear for riding. If I were buying it for a bike I'd prefer one with armour, but if not worried about that, a good hefty leather is the important thing (armour will save you from very bad bruising or a break at point of impact in a spill, but it's the quality of the hide that will protect your own hide in a slide). In that case, I'd spend the same money on a Vanson Thunderbird or an Aero MC or similar; both look identical to the Schott Perfecto in my eyes - or as close as dammit. I'd trust either as a riding jacket first. For a kickabout, wear around town, casual type jacket, the Schott is grand - but buy used, or look for a good alternative. They are out there.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I don't know why Schott doesn't make the kidney piece on the back into a tunnel and run a 360 degree belt through it which would allow for much more adjustment. It's what I would do if I was designing or commissioning this type of jacket.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I always felt Schotts Perfecto cross zips, including this HH version were rather aimed at the "cool rocker casually worn jacket" crowd rather than the real biking folks. Having no 360 degree belt, a clean back without belt loops makes for a cooler and more casual look, at least I feel that way. When I look at these Schotts, I don't think of James Dean in his CHP or Marlon Brando on his bike, I think of 60s and 70s rock bands, punks and hipster folks at Starbucks. And I dig the look, I'd prefer this Schott style over my Vanson CHP any time for casual wear. I wouldn't want to ride in it though nor recommend anyone to, because aesthetic aspects aside, the leather also feels signifantly thinner and less protective than a Vanson.

roadking04

Practically Family
ton312, Thanks for your reply. This jacket's main purpose is for on the m/c. It has to fit and function as an m/c jacket should. My first real riding jacket was a Vanson hardcore highwayman about 10 years ago. I should of went off the rack, but I went custom. I think I overthought the project. I probably over compensated some of the measurements. I was told a 3 month wait and the jacket took over a year to receive. Once I got the jacket, it didn't really fit well, which I take credit for. Overall, the Vanson was a well made jacket, thick, stiff hide that takes awhile to break in. Their customer service really turned me off and some of their styles look a little odd to me, maybe to much 70's ish like Guppy says.

Guppy, Thanks for the reply neighbor. I appreciate the link to find a local dealer. I called the dealers within 50 miles and none carry a 618. My second riding jacket was a custom Aero m/c jacket. It was during the Mark Moye/different Aero management era. After a year wait again, I received a "storse" jacket that fit worse than the Vanson. I actually talked with Ken from Aero on the phone and he refunded my money. I would like to have an Aero some day.

Aerofan07 thanks for the input. I actually like the thought of having the 5.5 oz insulation in Northeast Ohio. I ride a lot in the cold and am worried about the jacket being too short in the back. nothing worse than riding in 30 degree weather with wind going down your crack, lol.

Harris HTM, thanks for the thoughts and pics. I couldn't see most of the pics in the older threads, something about photobucket and a third party.

Robrinay, El Marro, Downunder G Man, Thanks for all the advice. I like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Edward, Thanks for your weigh in. I was torn between the Aero and Schott. I think the Schott looks a tad more "badass" to me. But, it comes down to fit and function over looks to me. I always liked the Brando cross zipper look. I want to go with this style but am torn between companies and designs. I know the armor jackets are much more appropriate, but I have to go with the cross zip look.
I really love the look of Ton's j106. To me, that is the best "looking" jacket out there, but, WHERE DO I PUT MY LEFT HAND, lol. I don't think I would be able to get past that, lol.

Such a hard decision.

roadking04

Practically Family
Doctor Damage, thanks. I am a little worried about the belt. I had a Harley shovelhead jacket many years ago,before I rode, and the belt would always get in the way. My other jackets had the side lacing, Im not really sure which is better.

Jacketjunkie, thanks also. I am a retired gen x mosh pitter and I always thought the Brando cross zip was the definition of Rock and Roll.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Another thought; A Langlitz Columbia is roughly the same price as an Aero in the US, or at least unsignificantly more expensive and it's bespoke, so no issues with sleeves or body length. If you want a perfectly fitted cross zip for riding, that is where I would go. You can get it with or without belt and set up the pockets however you like, e.g. as on the Schott.

WHERE DO I PUT MY LEFT HAND
Left hand covers the clutch! Thanks for the compliment btw and believe me I love the Hell out of that jacket but truth be told...I wouldn't prefer to ride in it. Not to say I couldn't but it doesn't have a full action back and that to me that is an absolute must. Mobility isn't great in a 12 lb monster jacket either... The shoulder gussets on the j106 look awesome but truely aren't terribly functional.
Too bad I'm not reading this a year or two ago. At one point I had 5 or 6 model E's. Probably could've put you in one depending on your size. Good luck on the hunt man. I'm sure you'll find what you're after, functionally and stylistically.

sweetfights

El Marro

Another thought; A Langlitz Columbia is roughly the same price as an Aero in the US, or at least unsignificantly more expensive and it's bespoke, so no issues with sleeves or body length. If you want a perfectly fitted cross zip for riding, that is where I would go. You can get it with or without belt and set up the pockets however you like, e.g. as on the Schott.
I have had two Langlitz jackets made for me in the last year and I would highly recommend them. They work with you from beginning to end to make sure that you get the fit and the style that you are after. If there is any problem with the jacket or the fit they will do whatever is necessary to solve the problem. You can't go wrong with Langlitz!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21