Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schott a2 jackets??

garzo

One of the Regulars
hey charlie,

my first real leather jacket was a Schott A-2/G-1 style Naked Cowhide Flight Jacket 184SM and I wore it for more than ten years before giving it to my uncle.

I've since had jackets from Flightsuits (Gibson & Barnes), Wested and Aero. Some I have since re-sold.

My next jacket will again be a Schott 184SM -- the one with removeable fake fur collar and lining.

I live in Berlin, Germany, and it's the only leather jacket I've ever owned that has kept me warm enough to wear in a Berlin winter -- which are nothing compared to NY winters, from what I hear.

Not only that, but I have to say I prefer the modern fit and the comfort of the Schott jacket. Sure, the cowhide makes them much heavier than a goat or lamb skin, but it's also added protection.

Many classic A-2 manufacturers out there pride themselves in that they make jackets exactly like they were made in the 1930s. Granted, I also tend to prefer cotton and wool over polyester, but I've paid a lot of money, much more than what you can get a Schott for, for jackets that were ill-fitting, stiff and uncomfortable. People in the 1930s had no other choice. Today, we have other choices.

The 184 SM may not be an exact replica of WWII-issue jackets, but it's not supposed to be. It's been influenced by the look and cut of golden-age A-2s and G-1s, but it has its own modern-classic style.

Fardad posted above the link to the Jart site. They have the cheapest prices I've seen but do not offer free shipping in the US. Many other online sites in the US offer Schott 184SMs for about $350-$400 (including free shipping).

Legendary USA have there Schott's at suggested factory prices (around $500 plus) but will meet any lower price and even go down 10%, so it's worth searching the net and then asking Legendary USA to meet that price plus the 10% discount.

I'm wearing my Schott 141 racer as I write and can't wait for the 184SM to arrive.

Fardad

Familiar Face
garzo said:
The 184 SM may not be an exact replica of WWII-issue jackets, but it's not supposed to be. It's been influenced by the look and cut of golden-age A-2s and G-1s, but it has its own modern-classic style.
Exactly. No offense to anyone, but if anything the 184SM outspecs (in terms of quality) the repros from what I've seen and felt. The naked cowhide on the 184SM is just perfect. Very thick, heavy, supple and I've got some beautiful creases going in many areas of the jacket.

From what I've seen, people wear/size their A-2s as if they were shirts or sweaters (making their legs look bigger/wider than the upper torso - which I don't like the look of at all).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I think A-2 fans tend to wear them too tightly. You wonder how many have actually looked at lots of old crew photos rather than just heard something somewhere.

What many want to avoid is the bloopy, parka-like look around the shoulders & sleeves. That's the sign of an updated knockoff. Not only were flight jackets not made that way in the 1930s, pretty much nothing was (except maybe deep sea diving suits).

The A-2 fit need not make your upper body and shoulders look narrow, but it shouldn't look like a typical present day piece of outerwear either. Otherwise there isn't much point in having one.

Melvin

New in Town
I'd picked up a couple Schott jackets while still in college and put on muscle since. They were my main jackets for years, though I owned others I wore for spells. They eventually got to fit like some people wear their repro jackets. The time had come to get a leather jacket I could comfortably layer under and use through winter again. I went back and forth as to whether to size up a size so it wouldn't bulge with layers. The right deal came along for one in black the size higher, so I pulled the trigger.

I'd given some thought to what style to get. I owned a variety of vintage and high end designer jackets but this was to be a workhorse to replace the ones I'd worn most often. I wanted something basic and classic but wasn't concerned with strict period authenticity. The 184SM is maybe the last Golden Age "Civilian Bomber" type jacket of the type ubiquitous after WWII made by an original manufacturer. In that sense its authenticity is unique. But the practicality is outstanding. The pockets are enormous, including hidden handwarmer pockets. The extra room for layering allowed me to wear it during last winter's most frigid days.

Though it's perhaps slightly blousier than vintage jackets from the 1950s or earlier - it's certainly not cut like a "mall jacket". The profile is still basically trim, like that of a post-war aviator/biker type jacket. It's not a repro - they never stopped making them, nor is it styled differently from the ones they made 60 years ago. It still projects the same look. The overall quality is as solid as ever.

It's my day to day favorite at this point. It has great classic style, but is utilitarian and built to last. It's what the originals the repros are based on strove to be.

I think part of their lack of status around here is they're readily accessible and hassle free to acquire. Their biggest fans seem to be Europeans, for whom they're more expensive and more difficult to acquire. Funny how that works.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'd picked up a couple Schott jackets while still in college and put on muscle since. They were my main jackets for years, though I owned others I wore for spells. They eventually got to fit like some people wear their repro jackets. The time had come to get a leather jacket I could comfortably layer under and use through winter again. I went back and forth as to whether to size up a size so it wouldn't bulge with layers. The right deal came along for one in black the size higher, so I pulled the trigger.

I'd given some thought to what style to get. I owned a variety of vintage and high end designer jackets but this was to be a workhorse to replace the ones I'd worn most often. I wanted something basic and classic but wasn't concerned with strict period authenticity. The 184SM is maybe the last Golden Age "Civilian Bomber" type jacket of the type ubiquitous after WWII made by an original manufacturer. In that sense its authenticity is unique. But the practicality is outstanding. The pockets are enormous, including hidden handwarmer pockets. The extra room for layering allowed me to wear it during last winter's most frigid days.

Though it's perhaps slightly blousier than vintage jackets from the 1950s or earlier - it's certainly not cut like a "mall jacket". The profile is still basically trim, like that of a post-war aviator/biker type jacket. It's not a repro - they never stopped making them, nor is it styled differently from the ones they made 60 years ago. It still projects the same look. The overall quality is as solid as ever.

It's my day to day favorite at this point. It has great classic style, but is utilitarian and built to last. It's what the originals the repros are based on strove to be.

I think part of their lack of status around here is they're readily accessible and hassle free to acquire. Their biggest fans seem to be Europeans, for whom they're more expensive and more difficult to acquire. Funny how that works.

Melvin, interesting comment re: availablity V's desirability.
I live in Japan, and shun japanese reproductions for Aero every time.

Melvin

New in Town
This has got to be a record for a thread resurrection . . . 7 years, 2 months, 17 days.

I've lurked a while. This thread helped turn my interest towards the 184SM. I figured I might as well post on this thread since I was here.

To Big J, that "grass is greener" phenomenon causes men to misjudge many different things, including women.

The 184SM is very solid. It's easy to imagine it lasting a lifetime. There's something comforting knowing the garment you purchased will last. Solidity gives a sense of security. The garment itself is quite comfortable despite its weight.

All in all it's a throwback to the days when small artisanal internet based companies were unnecessary because American makers like Schott produced similar, widely distributed goods themselves. As far as I know Schott's the last of them, outside tiny shops like Langlitz or a few Police leather makers. The last of the Golden Age makers. I prefer that kind of authenticity to whether my Japanese A2 repro has the metal snaps perfect on the patch pockets.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I've lurked a while. This thread helped turn my interest towards the 184SM. I figured I might as well post on this thread since I was here.

To Big J, that "grass is greener" phenomenon causes men to misjudge many different things, including women.

The 184SM is very solid. It's easy to imagine it lasting a lifetime. There's something comforting knowing the garment you purchased will last. Solidity gives a sense of security. The garment itself is quite comfortable despite its weight.

All in all it's a throwback to the days when small artisanal internet based companies were unnecessary because American makers like Schott produced similar, widely distributed goods themselves. As far as I know Schott's the last of them, outside tiny shops like Langlitz or a few Police leather makers. The last of the Golden Age makers. I prefer that kind of authenticity to whether my Japanese A2 repro has the metal snaps perfect on the patch pockets.
And I for one LOVE the 184 SM still! The big question is...was the 184 SM just a fad during the first parts of this original posting? Or is it truly a timeless classic? I say the latter of course.

Edward

Bartender
And I for one LOVE the 184 SM still! The big question is...was the 184 SM just a fad during the first parts of this original posting? Or is it truly a timeless classic? I say the latter of course.

It's an interesting beast indeed. Not one I'd buy if I wanted an accurate repop, but then that's not what it was intended to be. It's mash-up of A2 and G1 styles makes it reminiscent of many of the vaguely-A2/M442a styled jackets that were on the civilian market in the 40s and 50s, which is probably more what it intends to replicate. I see them crop up a lot on the rockabilly scene over here largely for that reason (that and they are far more available than vintage US jackets actually from that period now). With the weak pound, among other things, Schott jackets in the UK are now selling new at a price which makes them too rich for my blood, but that said if I stumbled across a good deal on a black one (for brown I'd rather buy a milspec G1), I'd certainly give it serious consideration. The one thing I'd have to be careful on is the sizing; I don't care for the look when they're worn seriously big, 80s-style. That's not hard to get right with decent measurements, though. Wouldn't consider one of the lambskin ones myself, but that's to hide, and I wouldn't buy lamb from other brands either.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I'm a "naked cowhide" fan and yes I know it's sort of a Schott branding thing, but I love to "restore" and modify the 184SM. I have noticed that some of the bigger sizes are only widely available used from the UK (no idea why) but the 184SM is still a great deal here stateside, with 80's and 90's versions regularly selling on ebay for $120 or less. There is good leather to be had but I will admit the weight and overall quality and wear is random at best. and I speak from a bit of experience, as I own about 30 of these. Mostly brown, but a few black.

Bluechel

Practically Family
BTW, I'm always interested in Size 48 and up and will pay a premium for an "L" (Long)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy