Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott goes after the Restoration Hardware crowd

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
ScreenShot2011-10-27at114359AM.png

ScreenShot2011-10-27at114412AM.png

ScreenShot2011-10-27at114420AM.png

ScreenShot2011-10-27at114428AM.png

ScreenShot2011-10-27at114442AM.png

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1730049&categoryId=search

I don't recall seeing anyone ordering their Aeros unlined. Thoughts?

Edward

Bartender
More than I'd want to spend, to be honest, but I do like it. I prefer a shirt-style collar over the mandarin, but this does look like a great jacket. Am I right that it's unlined? I do like the colour of the leather.

More than I'd want to spend, to be honest, but I do like it. I prefer a shirt-style collar over the mandarin, but this does look like a great jacket. Am I right that it's unlined? I do like the colour of the leather.

Looks unlined to me...with old style open sleeves underneath the zippers(?). The washed cowhide has a nice relaxed effect...but I don't get the draw of purchasing an unfinished jacket. Nice writeup and advertising spin,tho....

bobm

A-List Customer
I like the look of it, but do not like the fact that is unlined. Can it cost that much more to add a simple/smooth/ clean looking cotton liner? Come on!

Bob

Edward

Bartender
Looks unlined to me...with old style open sleeves underneath the zippers(?). The washed cowhide has a nice relaxed effect...but I don't get the draw of purchasing an unfinished jacket. Nice writeup and advertising spin,tho....

I like the utilitarian simplicity of it, and I love the look of open sleeves under zippers. I'm' with you, though, on the price.

I like the look of it, but do not like the fact that is unlined. Can it cost that much more to add a simple/smooth/ clean looking cotton liner? Come on!

Bob

It's the lack of a liner that is part of the appeal to me. If it's a reasonably light leather, it would be a superb Summer jacket. Much more breathable than with even a light liner.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Looks alright at fisrt glance but I have an unlined leather jacket and wont be wearing it again until I get it lined. Try sticking your arm down a sleave where the inside is made of suede, your shirt tries to ride up to your elbow and it you are lucky the button on your shirt is poorly fixed and pops if not it stays attatched and you rip a hole in your shirt and once on the thing just sticks to your clothing rather than slide over it ....stupid idea to save a company a few quid....it would probably have cost maybe £2 for enough fabric to line the sleeves at least.

The only plus side is it gives you a good insight into how leather jackets are put together which is quite informative, but if that is all you want, or if your are thinking of getting one of these, just get the cheapest leather jacket you can in a charity shop or on ebay, take the lining out and then try throwing the thing on like you would any of your other leather jackets...that should cure you, if not wait a couple of months and pick one up almost unused on ebay where the people who have got then realise they cant live with them.

Apart form the abrasive finish against your clothes no lining almost certainly means no inside pockets and that is very hard to live with and as this doesn't even have handwarmers you get a jacket with just two small chest pockets.....good idea al long as you dont have a phone or a wallet or change or keys or.........

Mine has four outer pockets and that is hard to live with but this would just be unbearable.

The leather has been washed distressed and dry milled etc.....if you want a knackerd old jacket who's lining was so shagged it had to be torn out why not get one on ebay for sod all money ,sling it in the washing machine to get rid of the old dirt and then condition the leather and spend the $600 you save on something worthwhile.

80 quid's worth of leather 70 quid's worth of labour and over 200 quids worth of badge.

Good luck to anyone who gets one but I would budget for getting a tailor to line it for you after the first or second wear.

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I think it's a gorgeous jacket, but the lack of a lining ruins it for me. I would like a shirt collar as well, but the mandarin works fine. Proper chest sizing and long sizes would have sealed the deal for me. The leather looks nice, but I'm not convinced that it would be thick enough for my tastes.

I love the open zipper cuffs as well. I have an order out on an Aero Cafe racer, and I'm regretting not having the cuffs done this way (I have a Fieldsheer with the open cuffs, and it's really cool).

Edward

Bartender
Tony, dear boy.... I'm getting the impression you don't quite like it.... ;)

Looks alright at fisrt glance but I have an unlined leather jacket and wont be wearing it again until I get it lined. Try sticking your arm down a sleave where the inside is made of suede, your shirt tries to ride up to your elbow and it you are lucky the button on your shirt is poorly fixed and pops if not it stays attatched and you rip a hole in your shirt and once on the thing just sticks to your clothing rather than slide over it ....stupid idea to save a company a few quid....it would probably have cost maybe £2 for enough fabric to line the sleeves at least.

The only plus side is it gives you a good insight into how leather jackets are put together which is quite informative, but if that is all you want, or if your are thinking of getting one of these, just get the cheapest leather jacket you can in a charity shop or on ebay, take the lining out and then try throwing the thing on like you would any of your other leather jackets...that should cure you, if not wait a couple of months and pick one up almost unused on ebay where the people who have got then realise they cant live with them.

I suppose it depends what you plan to wear it over. If I had a jacket like that, I would only intend to be wearing it over short sleeves or a Tshirt. Summer wear. In terms of it catching, yes, that would depend on how rough the leather is.

Apart form the abrasive finish against your clothes no lining almost certainly means no inside pockets and that is very hard to live with and as this doesn't even have handwarmers you get a jacket with just two small chest pockets.....good idea al long as you dont have a phone or a wallet or change or keys or.........

Mine has four outer pockets and that is hard to live with but this would just be unbearable.

I could live with that, actually, in a Smmer jacket, but then I'm grand with an A2 in most cases, which really isn't much different. In any case, once the weather gets hotter and I have fewer pockets, I tend to carry a bag, so. [huh]

The leather has been washed distressed and dry milled etc.....if you want a knackerd old jacket who's lining was so shagged it had to be torn out why not get one on ebay for sod all money ,sling it in the washing machine to get rid of the old dirt and then condition the leather and spend the $600 you save on something worthwhile.

Yes, I'm not a fan of pre-distressing either, irrespective of whoever does it. Again, hard to tell how far worn the leather would be without actually feeling one in person. Could be fairly far gone, though, given the image of the guy on the homepage who appears to be wearing one:

102611_hp_rh_main

If his jacket is as worn out as those jeans, it's about ready for the bin... ;)

80 quid's worth of leather 70 quid's worth of labour and over 200 quids worth of badge.

Ha, well, you'll get no argument from me on that score. I should suspect if you bought this you'd be paying the premium for brand name exclusivity, lifestyle marketing, and the rest. It's about GBP400 at the minute, or two third the price of an Aero halfbelt or similar, post price increase. Does seem a lot to me. Even comparing like for like, it's around the same price as, or a bit more than, a Schott Perfecto, which clearly involves a lot more work. It'd be interesting to compare the hides, with all the talk about Schott using hide with felt bonded to the back of it.

I think it's a gorgeous jacket, but the lack of a lining ruins it for me. I would like a shirt collar as well, but the mandarin works fine. Proper chest sizing and long sizes would have sealed the deal for me. The leather looks nice, but I'm not convinced that it would be thick enough for my tastes.

Yes, it does seem rather pricey for the lack of "proper" sizing..... I suppose the market doesn't look for that sort of thing any more, for the most part. You could well have a point on leather thickness. Most any mainstream-oriented leather jacket I see on sale these days, the first thing they push is the "buttery soft leather" angle, which always puts me right off. I cut my teeth on bike leathers: I like it heavy! That said, based on vintage jackets I've seen, it seems to me that our favouring of heavy, Aero FQHH style leather isn't necessarily entirely vintage-accurate as compared to lighter skins.

I love the open zipper cuffs as well. I have an order out on an Aero Cafe racer, and I'm regretting not having the cuffs done this way (I have a Fieldsheer with the open cuffs, and it's really cool).

I'm planning to add that detail to a custom Aero I have been designing myself over time... one day I'll be able to afford it!

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Unlined is a pain enough with boots, I have a pair of Chippewa Engineer Boots that are unlined and not the easiest to get on and off. With a jacket especially if you're sweating at all I think it would be very uncomfortable. I tend to think Schott jackets are a bit overpriced for what you get.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
With a jacket especially if you'er sweating at all I think it would be very uncomfortable.

Hard to know without trying.... seems to me it could be at least more breathable and bearable than a satin lining, but I've not done the groundwork on that score. ;)

I tend to think Schott jackets are a bit overpriced for what you get.

Tends to be my impression too.

Dunno, I had an unlined leather jacket as a kid and I loved it. I like the look, and if I could get one at a discount, I might go for one. Think about an Aero or the like and the price isn't too out of whack. But I don't want to argue that point - it's all relative. I think it's different and will probably attract buyers. If not, they'll be cheap soon enough...

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I owned a Schott Perfecto for 10 years to ride in, and the motorcycle jacket I have now is a HH jacket from Legendary made by Schott. I'm not knocking Schott at all, but in my experience Vanson and Aero were higher quality (my Vanson unfortunately never fit right).

Edward

Bartender
Dunno, I had an unlined leather jacket as a kid and I loved it. I like the look, and if I could get one at a discount, I might go for one. Think about an Aero or the like and the price isn't too out of whack. But I don't want to argue that point - it's all relative. I think it's different and will probably attract buyers. If not, they'll be cheap soon enough...

At an extreme knock down, I'd actually jump on one (let's face it, enough of a sale price reduction and the Schott brand would sell it on eBay for what you paid ...). Quality I just couldn't guess at without seeing one. Or more to the point, durability. Plenty of classy expensive stuff is just too flimsy for my tastes. I'd stress that that's a subjective thing, though - doesn't mean it's poor quality just because it's lighter than I like.... At the price of a used Wested Indy, though, I'd jump on one to try it.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I guess what I like about it is that it's made with vintage leather, but it's not a vintage jacket (i.e. no worries of BO or other odd scents), and it's RETURNABLE. The number one reason I'm waiting on a custom jacket is cost. Number two is that I'll be stuck with what I get. The fact that it doesn't have a lining is kind of neat... At least it's unique!

normanf

One of the Regulars
New Schott leather jackets tend to be very expensive.

If you want to look for good deals, look on eBay, from an online vintage or even from a thrift store!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24