Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott goes after the Restoration Hardware crowd

normanf

One of the Regulars
I don't see the lack of lining as a problem. If a lining is desired, any good leather restoration firm should be able to do it. That way one can create a custom one of a kind jacket, depending on the lining one wants.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I don't see the lack of lining as a problem. If a lining is desired, any good leather restoration firm should be able to do it. That way one can create a custom one of a kind jacket, depending on the line one wants.

That's also true, though again, assuming lack of an incredible sale bargain, it would make this a much more expensive jacket than would be sensible given the other options available.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Agreed.

Still, has any one actually tried on this jacket?

I think we'd want to get an unbiased view as to its actual worth.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Remember guys, the most valuable cafe' racers--older Buco J-100s, ABCs, older Bates Competition jackets, older Langlitz racing shirts, etc.--were never lined. I'm guessing that someone at Restoration Hardware did some research and came up with a jacket that replicated what the most valuable vintage cafe' racers were/are. They should probably have used horsehide, but cowhide was more commonly used on the most sought after cafe' racers. Besides, the cowhide keeps the cost of the jacket down, and a lot of posters are already complaining about the $650 price tag. My guess is that this is a cowhide version of the CAF1, unlined, which enables them to sell it for $650 instead of $900 for the lined horsehide version. Not bad, but it sucks when big corporations come in and sucker punch niche markets for products that they'll discontinue in less than a year. They simply don't have the knowledge to sell the jacket. Buy vintage and premium leather jackets from your local hole-in-the-wall biker shop that actually knows what they're selling!!!

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Unlined Jacket. Fits with RH's new look: Belgian Prison Camp Chic. All the catalogue images look like they dragged out the concentration camp inmates, hosed the place down and brought in the stuff for the photo shoot.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Unlined Jacket. Fits with RH's new look: Belgian Prison Camp Chic. All the catalogue images look like they dragged out the concentration camp inmates, hosed the place down and brought in the stuff for the photo shoot.

I thought the Belgish were known for chocolate, strawberry beer, no government needed, and french fries with a side serving of mussels in white wine. The prison camps were the proprietary item for certain others. Not so sure what this all has to do with leather jackets, though. Personally, I would skip an unlined one. They are rather unpleasant on one's skin.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Edward ....If in doubt - overstress.

I had a deerskin jacket which needed the arms relining and being a lazy sod I tore the old lining out and wore the thing for a while with no lining and I must admit that is one leather I would consider getting an unlined jacket in as the suede is like velvet..lovely. Cow hide is as far from that as possible and that label pic shows this as being quite "seudey" ...you go out in the rain in that and is gets a good soaking and once dry I recon you will end up with crisp suede elbow grater effect going forward.

This is the wierd thing, I noticed/imagined when wearing my unlined cowhide jacket was that it seemed a lot more clammy and unpleasant to wear on a mild day than a jacket (of similar weight) lined just with satin, someone who knows more about moisture managment and all that could tell you more but all I know is on a mild day it was warmer and sweatier than a lined jacket and on a cold day it was clammier and colder than a lined jacket as you are rubbing up against the shell.

That leather looks like it might be the same stuff that they make the 585 out of, have a look at how thin the leather is even when doubled over near the cuff/ zip.
http://www.uswings.com/schott585vinBdetail.html

I was after a 585 a year or two back and managed to have a look at someone else's which was a result as they are rare as hens teeth over here......thin and just not very imrepessive...he later flogged it for 1/4 of what he payed for it just to get rid.....I haven't ridden a bike regularly in years but I remember what tarmac feels like and I wouldn't want to be wearing one of those in the event of "an off"....my skin might be all english and pasty but it's mine and I want to keep it on me not spread it all over the road

...also glad I didn't get the 585 as James May now wears one.

Edward

Bartender
Edward ....If in doubt - overstress.

I had a deerskin jacket which needed the arms relining and being a lazy sod I tore the old lining out and wore the thing for a while with no lining and I must admit that is one leather I would consider getting an unlined jacket in as the suede is like velvet..lovely. Cow hide is as far from that as possible and that label pic shows this as being quite "seudey" ...you go out in the rain in that and is gets a good soaking and once dry I recon you will end up with crisp suede elbow grater effect going forward.

Yes, I can see your point there, it would depend on the leather.

This is the wierd thing, I noticed/imagined when wearing my unlined cowhide jacket was that it seemed a lot more clammy and unpleasant to wear on a mild day than a jacket (of similar weight) lined just with satin, someone who knows more about moisture managment and all that could tell you more but all I know is on a mild day it was warmer and sweatier than a lined jacket and on a cold day it was clammier and colder than a lined jacket as you are rubbing up against the shell.

Interesting. I'd assumed it would be otherwise, but I can't claim to have done the fieldwork you have. I definitely think the type of lining could make a big difference that way - I find a satin liner warmer in warm weather than the light cotton in an A2, say.

That leather looks like it might be the same stuff that they make the 585 out of, have a look at how thin the leather is even when doubled over near the cuff/ zip.
http://www.uswings.com/schott585vinBdetail.html

I was after a 585 a year or two back and managed to have a look at someone else's which was a result as they are rare as hens teeth over here......thin and just not very imrepessive...he later flogged it for 1/4 of what he payed for it just to get rid.....I haven't ridden a bike regularly in years but I remember what tarmac feels like and I wouldn't want to be wearing one of those in the event of "an off"....my skin might be all english and pasty but it's mine and I want to keep it on me not spread it all over the road

I know exactly what you mean. I'm not a fan of very light leather either. I'm not a rider, but I did cut my leather teeth on bike leathers, and consequently developed a real preference for the more substantial stuff. Given the market they're shooting for (not to mention the 'washing' treatments they've given the leather) I can see it being likely to be what marketing men like to call "buttery soft" and I think of as "flimsy". ;)

...also glad I didn't get the 585 as James May now wears one.

lol While by far the least objectionable of the Top Gear cast, May certainly is no style icon!

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
It's a nice looking jacket but it seems to me it's like everything else at Restoration Hardware, overpriced. I'm generally turned off by cross-brand collaborations and view them as a marketing scheme for suckers. Be it Ford/Harley Davidson, Levi's/Filson or Schott/Resto. Hardware.

IXL

One Too Many
Remember guys, the most valuable cafe' racers--older Buco J-100s, ABCs, older Bates Competition jackets, older Langlitz racing shirts, etc.--were never lined. I'm guessing that someone at Restoration Hardware did some research and came up with a jacket that replicated what the most valuable vintage cafe' racers were/are. They should probably have used horsehide, but cowhide was more commonly used on the most sought after cafe' racers. Besides, the cowhide keeps the cost of the jacket down, and a lot of posters are already complaining about the $650 price tag. My guess is that this is a cowhide version of the CAF1, unlined, which enables them to sell it for $650 instead of $900 for the lined horsehide version. Not bad, but it sucks when big corporations come in and sucker punch niche markets for products that they'll discontinue in less than a year. They simply don't have the knowledge to sell the jacket. Buy vintage and premium leather jackets from your local hole-in-the-wall biker shop that actually knows what they're selling!!!

Man, do I ever wish we had a local hole-in-the-wall biker shop that actually knows what they're selling!! Or even carried vintage and premium leather jackets!!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Man, do I ever wish we had a local hole-in-the-wall biker shop that actually knows what they're selling!! Or even carried vintage and premium leather jackets!!

Not every US city has one, but you can always call us!!! Schott, Vanson, and Aero are all 25% off today and tomorrow, Fri. 11/4 and Sat. 11/5!!! HOLY COW!!! or horse...LOL....

These jackets are made, in our stock, and ready to ship!!!

Not every US city has one, but you can always call us!!! Schott, Vanson, and Aero are all 25% off today and tomorrow, Fri. 11/4 and Sat. 11/5!!! HOLY COW!!! or horse...LOL....

Hmmm. Wuddya have in a size 48/50 Long??? :)

IXL

One Too Many

Dammit!!! I just gave Wade a call....couldn't pass up a 25% off sale....heated up my Visa card. If my encounter thus far is any indication, Insurrection is going to be getting more of my business.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
We had so many great sales Friday and Saturday to so many wonderful folks from the Fedora Lounge that we will be extending this sale to Fedora Lounge members for one more day! Sunday, November 6th, Insurrection will again have 25% off of all Schott, Vanson, and Aero products. We're open 12-4pm, Pacific Standard Time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany