Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch 101

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As a person who is not as learned on the spirits (as in all of them) as I wish I was, I thought a series of threads to teach newcomers what sort of things to look for would be welcomed.

Now there is one guideline: Scotch that is $40 and under.

What are some of the characteristics that one should look for in a beginner Scotch?

What type of flavor should it have (I know thats a broad question, but the art of your words will make all those understand :) )?

Any history of the manufacturer you wanna throw in?

Key ingredients, processes?

Lets keep this about the spirit and not mixed drinks, okay Ladies and Gentlemen.

Thank you kindly,

LD

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I first started drinking Scotch when I wanted a whiskey that was more challenging than what I had been drinking, which was Bush Mills Irish Whisky. This was about 12 years ago. I started with Oban. I have seen this in the price range you specify. I still dearly love Oban. It was my beginner, and it will be my ender too, because all things considered it is still my favorite of all the Scotches I have tried.

I am sure more people will answer more of your questions, S.

RedPop4

One Too Many

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I was never much of a Scotch drinker until opening night at the Scat Jazz Lounge here in downtown Fort Worth. After I sat in the back booth listening to classic golden era tunes drinking a Balvenie, I finally understood.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lady Day said:
Now there is one guideline: Scotch that is $40 and under.
It's sad to say but you're a bit short on the tuition for this class. [huh]

That said, the best way to learn is to taste a lot of different whiskies in the company of knowledgeable folks, so I'd recommend that you attend some local tastings. Most of the better liquor retailers host these events regularly for a nominal fee. After you've found your sea legs, you might make your way to mecca and attend Whisky Fest.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Glenlivet is pretty good for under $40. Macallan 10 yr can be had for $44 on sale (at least it can here) and is well worth the extra $4.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Second the Macallan.
A light fruity Scotch I've had and that I'd recommend to beginers is Dalwhinnie. I haven't bought it in a while, but I remember it not being too expensive.
Does anyone remember when there was a big push on scotches, with about six brands being represented by one company? Lagavulin, Dalwhinnie, and Glenkinchie, I think were among the six. They were displayed at bars and liquor stores on one big wooden stand. Any one recall all the brands? That was a good single malt 101. Lagavulin is probably now twice what it sold for back then.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
For blended Scotch, you can start with Cutty Sark, Johnny Walker Red label, J & B, Dewar's, all good, all slightly different. I was recently "regifted" with a bottle of Chevas Regal, a really great blended Scotch.
Keep in mind, what you're tasting when you drink Scotch is the smoke from the peet that was used to boil the mash in the still. The peet is dug up from various ancient bogs around Scotland, and each region's peet (the same as peet moss, basically) has a different characteristic aroma. The three general regions are Highland, Lowland and island (the isles off the coast of Scotland). But each tiny region is distinctive, just like vineyards. Each will have a different regional climate and ecology.
Blends are precisely formulated to have a certain consistent flavor.
A lot of people get very snobbish about "Single Malt Scotch". Personally I like both blends and single malts, depending on my mood.
A couple other single malts that are interesting are Auchencloss and Laphroiag. Laphroaig is REALLY different. And I'll second the emotion about MacAllen. MacAllen 24 year old Scotch is amazing.
To start appreciating Scotch, have a shot with a little ice, and sip it very slowly. Keep it simple. Some people like it with a twist of lemon peel (just the surface, no pulp), lemon oil in the peel smooths the flavor remarkably.

Scotch Whisky - no E, now that's frugal.

Scotch is a complex liquor as the local style and ingredients makes for a tremendous variation on the theme of peaty smoked grains (barley i believe is the grain in question.)

Scotch has 2 major fields to play in BLENDED and SINGLE MALT.

Blended Scotches like Chivas Regal, Famous Grouse or the Johnnie Walkers series are really nice in the fact that they are skillfully blended from a wide selection of single malt scotches to come up with a flavor that is consistant from year to year and bottle to bottle. This is quite a feat on the the blenders side to be able to do so. Even the most jaded single malt drinker can ejoy a fine blended Scotch Whisky

The single malt side like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet is one where seasonal differences in ingredients and conditions can color the product with some variation. BUT most Scotch drinkers have favorites and the final product is one that a learned drinker can relish their unique charms.

Can't remember the movie but one of the charactors says, "Oh that was a really good Scotch he gave you, it had "Glen" in its name!"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day,

If you are starting out on your scotch voyage of discovery, it's probably a good idea to head down to a local pub that has a good selection and try a few before rushing out and splashing out on a bottle of something that you may not like.

In terms of how you drink it, well that's entirely up to you. I personally was brought up to drink scotch the Scottish way, that is neat or with some water (which the Scots call "to release the serpent"). My father would kill me if he saw me put ice in it (it deadens the taste of the spirit) so I wouldn't do that personally, but "on the rocks" is a very popular way for Americans to enjoy their spirits. And in the end it's all about how you enjoy it.

Tasting wise, you have probably worked out that there are two main types, blends and single malts. Malts are in general more expensive and more highly regarded because of the unique characters which they have. But there's nothing wrong with blends as there are some beautiful ones around. To be a distillery's "master blender" is an artform and something which requires incredible skill. If starting out, try a few blends to begin with (it won't cost you so much and it's a good way of developing a taste for the stuff).

But most importantly have fun tasting and learning.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
re: ice

Smithy: You're right about ice. I usually only put one cube in, and let it melt a little. It chills it moderately without totally killing the flavor. I've actually heard that the real two fisted drinkers in Scotland drink Scotch with lemonade. Is this true???
I'm going to try your way of drinking Scotch, tho. I suspect it will be an educational experience.

The level playing field.

When tasting a few different ones, if the proofs (alcohol percentage) are different, many tasters adjust the a mount of water they put in to get the proof in the glasses to be about the same and on a level playing field.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
For an inexpensive introduction to the world of single malts, try the four McClelland offerings, around $20 a bottle. They offer a single malt from each of the four regions in Scotland - Highland, Lowland, Islay, and Speyside. This will give you an idea of what each region offers. I prefer the flavor of Highland Scotches, and sometimes Speysides. Speysides are generally sweeter to me, with a definite honey flavor. I find that Islays are too smoky and salty for my taste. Lowlands are okay, but not my favorite. Just don't tell my ancestors from that region!lol

Brad

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm a Glenmorangie girl - one cube. Got started on that from my father in law. If I ever order it when I'm out, it always impresses whoever I'm with, particularly the men. I guess I just don't look like a Scotch drinker. I got my last job partly because I could drink good Scotch with the owner of the company :D

I'd say start high end - you're more likely to enjoy it if it's good.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
...malt from each of the four regions in Scotland - Highland, Lowland, Islay, and Speyside.

Brad

Brad- you didn't mention "the Islands" an most importantly, "Campbelltown", home of Springbank, the best whiskies ever!

Blends can be quaffed with ice, in the summer-
Malts are enjoyed for their sheer uniqueness and individuality.
To add ice to a Malt is to debase the precious liquor- childish adulteration.

B
T

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LD, I would advise against bothering with blends. Get to know single malts first. Get to know the differences between them. Next time you are up, I will taste you on a few. At the moment I have a Glenmorangie 10 year, a Glenmorangie 12 year barrelled in burgundy cascs, and a 35 year Glen Keith.

In my opinion, bothering with blends now is like starting drinking pinot noir-cabernet blends when you are only starting to taste wines. Better to drink the pure thing and try to understand it first.

I agree that blends are nice on summer days with a little ice, however; and they are a nice, inexpensive way to give yourself an introduction to the feel and general taste of Scotch.

That is my opinion.

wldthistle

New in Town
A while ago I bought a six pack of single malt miniatures at Beverages and More in California. Here it is from a UK vendor. If you can find this, it's a great way to try different styles. Personally, I enjoyed the Dalwhinnie. Here in DC you can get it for $43, and I think it would be a great choice for a beginner. Many experienced Scotch drinkers eventually gravitate toward the Islay malts, with Lagavulin being the standard others are judged by. Islays aren't for everyone though... they can be pretty strong, with a lot of peat and iodine.

I'd say to try to find a place where you can try several whiskys. Some better liquor stores have tastings, or you can find a bar (often at a nice restaurant) with a good selection, though you could likely get a bottle for the price of 4 glasses.

Cheers!

-Greg

rumblefish

One Too Many
wldthistle said:
A while ago I bought a six pack of single malt miniatures at Beverages and More in California. Here it is from a UK vendor. If you can find this, it's a great way to try different styles. Personally, I enjoyed the Dalwhinnie. Here in DC you can get it for $43, and I think it would be a great choice for a beginner. Many experienced Scotch drinkers eventually gravitate toward the Islay malts, with Lagavulin being the standard others are judged by. Islays aren't for everyone though... they can be pretty strong, with a lot of peat and iodine.

I'd say to try to find a place where you can try several whiskys. Some better liquor stores have tastings, or you can find a bar (often at a nice restaurant) with a good selection, though you could likely get a bottle for the price of 4 glasses.

Cheers!

-Greg
That's it!
These are the ones I refered to in post #9
http://www.awa.dk/whisky/clasmalt.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo