Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouts

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thought this was cool. I still want an old Explorer scout uniform with the red tie, or a 1920's scoutmaster uniform with norfolk jacket and campaign hat.

scouts.jpg

Some uniforms that were made before the girl scouts switched to t-shirts jeans and vests

90vinunifor.jpg

Used to be low cost utility outfits that you didn't worry much about when they got dirty, the current uniforn costs so much today that you have to baby the outfit. Troops turn to Jeans and T-shirts out of cost effectiveness. The current boy scout pants alone cost $50 and they are 50/50 cotton poly blend. You can buy a pair of green all cotten wrinkle free pants at Target for half the price.

I'm now an assistant Scout Master in a troop that used to stick to the full uniform rule. It is disheartening when I'm on a campout and see that all troops including my own wear jeans and t-shirts as a standard "class B uniform" to keep their expensive uniforms from getting dirty. I think the uniform needs a price overhaul.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
You know I remeber scouts quite well and the uniform was a requirement for a while but that didn't last long once you got into hikes repellling etc......even then they were a bit pricy and you never wanted to rip up your shirt....so alot of us wore our pants with what ever tshirt was handy........come to think of it i may even have an old vintage uniform with no paches laying around ill have to check that out

Feraud

Bartender
Great pictures and thread Matt. My son is a Webelos and graduating to Boy Scouts this Thurday. Needless to say, my wife and I are extremely proud!
I see quite a few of the troops in my son's group show up at meetings wearing their scout shirts, untucked, with sweat pants, jeans and sneakers! This is at a meeting, not even out camping!! It is quite disheartening to see. Our troopmaster is a bit older and more lax I guess...
I never let my son attend a meeting without his proper uniform. I am glad to say that his new Boy Scout troop enforces the dress code.
I wish they all would.

D

Deleted member 259

I was a Girl Scout for a number of years. Our troop, unlike many, actually got to go out campling, fishing, rock climbing, etc..
Rather than learn to sew and bake - typical GS badge work.

We wore our uniforms to meetings and ceremonies, but because they were a little expensive and impractical - we wore whatever we liked when we went out camping and such. A night in the woods requires jeans and a tee-shirt sometimes, But appearances don't mean as much when you're foraging for breakfast.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Hey Matt, I think you would look great in one of those girl scout outfits. Unfortunately I don't look good in green.
But seriously, I've collected out Boy Scout manuals through the years. They have changed (or weakened) their projects considerably.
My favorite of my collection is a Handbook for Scoutmasters from 1926. One chapter is devoted to the uniform; the significance, when to wear, when not to wear, who may wear, the new standard uniform ( as of January 1, 1922), the scout neckerchief, care of the uniform, and how to wash the uniform. It even has a diagram of how pins, badges, etc. should be worn.
The physical welfare chapter includes the"health creed" of the Massachusetts State Board of Health, "The Physical Effects of Smoking" , "I Am Alcohol" and stretching exercises

The Wolf

Well, I suppose I can chime in here and say that yes----I am a Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout at that. :) You always are an Eagle Scout so you never really lose the Boy Scout name. ;)
I have to check and see what I have. I really should go back and check the old scout lockers and see what the Troop still has. They used to have tons of old uniforms and hats int he basement of the church. This thread reminded me that it was there. Now I just wonder if Troop 612 is still around with all the anti-Boy Scout stuff going around.

Regards to all,

J

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm an Eagle as well as being a Brotherhood member of OA lodge Santee 116. I used to collect old uniforms, but sold them to my buddy when I outgrew them (didn't see the need to collect what I couldn't wear). I still have one of the old collarless dark green summer shirts that is supposed to be worn with a neckerchief.

In my troop (I'm an assistant Scoutmaster too), we require the boys to wear full class A uniform to meetings (only sans neckerchiefs), and for every piece of the uniform each boy is not wearing, he is required to do 10 pushups. So no pants or shirt = 20 pushups.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The problem with the modern scout uniforms are that they are simply uncomfortable and impractical. I certainly wouldn't say they are expensive, especially since it seemed rare for a scout to actually buy a new uniform for himself.

My scout uniform was 100% polyester if I recall, and with the stupid pins, patches, and junk that eventually went on it the whole thing was totally uncomfortable. The polyester was hot in summer, and useless in winter.

Luckily, my troop had a large contingent of people from the Army base in it. Thus for a long time, our standard field wear was surplus BDUs and other military equipment which was always far superior to the offical Boy Scout stuff.

The only thing I liked about the Boy Scout uniform was my campaign hat, which wasn't standard issue and which I found myself to wear because I was the troop bugler. And in the field I would ditch even that and wear a lite felt fedora or BDU camo cap.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
You can get a 100% cotton scout shirt, but you have to order it straight from headquarters. All of my shirts are cotton, as poly blend is awful to wear in the heat and humidity.

Zohar said:
I'm an Eagle as well as being a Brotherhood member of OA lodge Santee 116. I used to collect old uniforms, but sold them to my buddy when I outgrew them (didn't see the need to collect what I couldn't wear). I still have one of the old collarless dark green summer shirts that is supposed to be worn with a neckerchief.

In my troop (I'm an assistant Scoutmaster too), we require the boys to wear full class A uniform to meetings (only sans neckerchiefs), and for every piece of the uniform each boy is not wearing, he is required to do 10 pushups. So no pants or shirt = 20 pushups.

Gee, I remember those days as well. I even wore the neckerchief to the meetings. :) Twenty push ups? With one hand or two? :p
I am just a plain OA member. One task was enough in the snow. ;)

Regards to all,

J

JiveAngel

New in Town
For some reason the Girl Scout photo won't come up for me. I really wanted to see it. I was a Girl Scout and earned my Gold Award in 1986. (equivalent to being an Eagle Scout). I always thought the older uniforms where much more attractive than what I wore.

I had been looking for a vintage leader uniform and found one at the Reading Air Show last year. It's not quite as old as I'd hoped early to mid- 50s I'd guess. I haven't done the research to pin point it yet.

I remember wearing my Brownie uniform often but wearing a uniform less and less often as I progressed through the levels. As a Cadet and Senior we only wore uniforms on important occasions. But it was acceptable to wear your sash or vest with your badges with street clothes. Those we wore much more often.

When camping with the troop, the closest thing to a camping uniform was wearing my GS handkerchief around my neck. I do think summer camp had a uniform of sorts, shorts and a white shirt, but I believe even that wasn't for every day.

I can't wait to have kids so I can be a leader

fountwriter

New in Town
jamespowers said:
You can still find those knives if you look around. Gun shows are actually a good place to look. There is always some guy with a box full of old knives. ;)

J

Thanks for the tip!!! It was an old Camillus from the late 50's early 60's. It was not mine, but I inherited it. My family was very active in the scouts for many years.

By the time I came along, though, things began to change, but I still had plenty of the old hand-me-down gear.

I think my parents still have most of it.

Adam

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I too am a Boy Scout alumni. When I left my troop at age 18 I was sadly only at a star rank. In this area it was tough to advance in rank. Every year we'd get a new group of energetic Weblos in an we would work on a few basic merit badges to get them started. The senior scouts helping the younger. Each year it was the same. Over and over we'd work on the the same merit badges and never get anywhere. I got quite a few extras when I started working at a local Scout Camp.

Camp Stigwandish was what I pictured it to be like back when my dad was in scouts. Everyone, even the staff< stayed in canvas "wall" tents. The staff had one advantage over the campers. Since we where there for just over two months we did have power strips in our tents to run alarm clocks and what not. But things were still kept very basic. The staff had class A and B uniforms which were worn with pride. They were always kept tucked in and in order. There was a bugler, whose real name was Kenny Rogers ( I always got a kick out of the fact that I knew a celebrity), who'd even sound taps every night as well as taking care of our brass needs at events.

Order of the Arrow ceremonies were quite fun as we had three large lakes on the property which were utilized oftern. We'd paddle across the chosen one in canoes- lighting our way with toches. Of course we were in full regalia/costume.

It was so much fun. We got paid pennies (almost literally!) but it was a volunteer job. Money didn't matter though. It was about the experience, pride in belonging. I miss those days!

Solid Citizen said:
Mr. Deckard, is that Scout uniform in your collection? If so its a very nice piece, very old, hard to come by. Peter :)

Yep, it is probably fromt he late 1800s early 1900s. Those just don't grow on trees. Most of them are long gone.
The merit badges on one sleeve and the rank on the other is something I have never seen before. The rank still looks like the First Class Rank though. I wonder how he got so many merit badges without advancing in rank though. Maybe that is not the rank on the sleeve?

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran