Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second opinions on this dress?

retronista

New in Town
Hi ladies! So I've purchased my very first vintage-inspired dress from ModCloth, but since I am new to vintage style, I figured I'd post a picture of myself wearing it for 2nd opinions. I do like the dress, but I'm not sure if it's flattering on me. I'm also just an indecisive shopper all around lol so feedback is always welcome! I'm holding the dress at the back, as unfortunately it is big on me in the waist, and I'll have to get it tailored. Considering the dress was already quite expensive, I'm not sure it's worth the additional costs. But like I said, I'm on the fence, so please let me know what you think! :)

http://tinypic.com/r/k06gco/6

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
That's a beautiful dress! My feelings on the matter are if the dress was expensive (and you love it) then it's worth going the extra mile to get it tailored to fit properly otherwise you may not wear it.

I get the majority of my vintage dresses altered in some way so they fit me properly - it has cost me a lot but I think it's worth it - particularly for the pieces I love!

retronista

New in Town
Thank you Miss Golightly! It's funny because as much as I've admired vintage fashion all my life, it's only now that I'm trying it out for myself and it's turning out to be quite a challenge in figuring out which styles I prefer/look best on me. A very fun challenge, nevertheless! I've also never taken anything to the tailor before lol so that'll be a new experience as well. But like you said, it's definitely worth the extra money to look and feel your best. Thanks for your feedback! :)

Last edited:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Retronista... I think your dress is beautiful and once tailored it will be stunning on your figure! You may also want to get a bolero of sorts. I find coverups of any kind come in handy more than not. :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Pretty Dress! Modcloth has a lot of dresses that catch my eye but I hate the synthetic material that like 99% of their dresses are made of. I prefer silks, cottons and the like. This dress probably is composed of synthetics so keep that in mind when splurging to get it tailored because synthetic materials don't last as long as natural materials.

retronista

New in Town
You're right CaramelSmoothie! I am attracted to a lot of the dresses on Modcloth as they capture that vintage yet modern look I am going for, but it seems most of them are made out of polyester and thus not meant to stand the test of time :( Maybe I will try my luck on etsy! Any other websites you ladies would recommend (or particular shops on etsy)?

QueenOfRandom

New in Town
Very pretty! How are your own sewing skills? Taking something in like that shouldn't be too much of a challenge to someone who knows their basics (or give it to a relative, my Nan is my go to hehe!) Also depends on how much needs taking in.

But once it is it will look stunning on you and very flattering! God I need to go look at ModCloth again now... My bank balance won't like me yet again xD

retronista

New in Town
Thank you QueenOfRandom! Unfortunately my sewing skills are pretty non-existent :( My sister-in-law is quite excellent at it though, so perhaps I can ask her. Sewing is such a great life skill though, and comes in especially handy for us vintage-lovers, so I think I need to sit myself down and have a go at it until it becomes second nature (here's to hoping I don't injure myself too many times in the process) lol

As far as bank balances go, mine isn't on good terms with me either hehe I've bought a couple more dresses from ModCloth and they sure can be expensive! But worth it, I hope!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo