Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

seeking "sign" image help ..........

SIGGY

A-List Customer
I was online looking up various WW2 AAF unit emblems and ran across the image below of a Base sign posted at the location , "Lymington Airfield" , on the sign near bottom the emblem 2nd from the right is of the 81st Fighter Squadron, I have never seen this emblem as depicted and am seeking what the "Latin" motto says on the banner crossing the shield......

If you can help with this Please post here , much thanks !!!!!!
Johnny

Attachments

• 50th Fighter Group and Squadrons base sign.jpg
    50th Fighter Group and Squadrons base sign.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 150

SIGGY

A-List Customer
robrinay , much thanks for what you found on this so far , can you please put the wording in line as you think it is on the image, would that be , "" Sid Justa" ???? I'm not following the "Semel in die" part , much thanks !!!!!!!! :)

robrinay

One Too Many
FIEN(?) SID JUSTA

S I D Stands for Semel In Die literally 'once a day' it's an acronym - doctors use the acronym on drug prescriptions.
JUSTA translates from the Latin as joust or tournament. I can't read the first word. You really need a Latin scholar to give the meaning of the phrase rather than the literal translation.
Or the middle word might be SED which translates as ' but also' or 'what is more' which makes more sense in this context.
Why not contact the copyright owner of the pic on the geographia link above?

Last edited:

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Unofficial 81st Fighter Squadron emblem .......

Thanks again, rodrinay , I got a reply from another Facebook post and a good image and motto , it says "Firn Sed Justa" here's the image ......

Attachments

• 81st Fighter Squadron.jpg
    81st Fighter Squadron.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 113

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo