Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Semi-aniline" Russet brown Goatskin

Flying Mariner

Familiar Face
Hi Guys...
I have just taken delivery of a Eastman Cable Raincoat A2. It is a lovely Goatskin with a shiny finish which I guess is achieved from the "aniline". Could one of you knowledgeable chaps explain what aniline is and is it usual to have to break Goatskin jackets in?
Best regards,
Wayne.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many

What is Pure Aniline Leather?
Pure Aniline is top grain leather that is dyed for color without any pigments applied. These hides will exhibit some natural characteristics such as healed scars, scratches, neck and belly wrinkles. Expect color variation from the swatch to the actual leather, due to the fact leather is a natural product and will absorb dye differently within the hide and from hide to hide. This leather will develop a rich patina over time and will fade with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

What is Protected Aniline Leather?
Protected aniline leather is a top grain leather that is dyed for color and then receives pigment to ensure color consistency. Without pigment a protected leather is not color consistent. The pigment also ensures fade resistance and helps the leather wear over time. A clear water based topcoat is applied for additional protection. The natural imperfections of the hide are also less noticeable. Hides average 50-55 square feet. Protected Aniline Leathers are easy to maintain and have maximum resistance to wear, soiling, and fading from light.

What is Semi-Aniline Leather?
Semi-Aniline leather is pure aniline leather that has a small amount of pigment or clear finish thus allowing the natural characteristics of the hide to still show through while offering some of the benefits of color consistency and increased wearability.

--I'm no expert on all the jackets that so many wear, but I do have a Raider Jacket from Gibson and Barnes ( http://www.flightsuits.com/index.php?id=18&cat_id=18&prod_id=65 ) in the dark brown goatskin which, even though I got the jacket second-hand, still looks like a new jacket. I will let the jacket gather a patina gradually, kinda like me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav