Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Half -Belt Long in russett goatskin

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
At last my HBL arrived.

As usual when I've bought a new leather jacket, I open the box and my heart sinks. Too clean, too new, no character and stiff. I took a few photos out of the box for posterity. (These I'll add later if there's interest).

I then make the decision to do or not to do a little hot water treatment. If I'm not happy to then the jacket goes back. Generally I have enough faith in makers like Aero and Eastman to go ahead.

Last night I did do the hot water treatment and hung the jacket up to dry. I've taken a few quick photos on my iPhone and here they are. Better quality ones will go on when I get time.

Initial thoughts are very positive. The great design of the HBL coupled with lovely grained goatskin. The box weighed about hallf of the weight of a FQHH version. For me that is a great plus. The jacket is also nowhere near as stiff.

I appreciate that there is a very strong fetish for horse hide here but I am a real fan of goat and feel it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I had it modified to have an A-2 collar with press studs for collar tips (Good for my motorbiking). Lined in mustard cotton as with an A-2. Internal windflap added. No storm cuffs. Shiny brass zippers.

10-06-220101.jpg

10-06-220103.jpg

10-06-220102.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Dave, Nice jacket, man. I agree with you about goat. it's fabulous and lighter than HH.

Are you able to weigh this one for us? I'm curious. A friend has the same jacket in HH and it weighs 7 pounds. Be interesting to see the difference.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi Seb, always nice to find a fellow fan of goatskin !

I have a FQHH Highwayman and I'll try to weigh both with my spring balance (if I can find it) and give the weights of both jackets. It feels as if the goat HBL weighs half of the Highwayman. Which, if correct, means that it might weigh nearly one third of a FQHH HBL.

There is some stiffness to the hide but it drapes better straight out of the box and better still once hot water treated and worn.

IMVHO it can only get better with more time and wear.

The FQHH looks great once it is well and truly broken in but the break-in time can be very long - even with a little artificial, accelerated treatment. Being so stiff, it never seems to hang quite naturally against the body. More of a suit of armour than item of clothing. Mobility whilst wearing it is limited.

'Horses' for courses I suppose !!

Dave

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Dave
That's a very fine looking jacket, I have never seen a hbl in real life so can you tell me is there another pocket underneath the scolloped flaps on the front also what is the length as I thought Aero could only make short jackets in goat.
Cheers
Nick

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your kind comments.

Yep, there are pockets under the scalloped flaps as well as the handwarmer pockets.

Aero said that they could do the HBL in goat as the hides were 'just' big enough to do the front panels.

Like I said, I'll get better photos up as soon as I get time.

Cheers,
Dave

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Dave,
Congratulations with you new jacket! I think you are a very brave man to treat the LHB with Hot Water, but the result is great I must say!
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
What a difference! The water-treatment did the job well. The LHB looks really great on you.

Still, I think I will just wear my new halfbelt a lot to break it in...;)
Cheers,
Andy

Lear

One of the Regulars
Dudleydoright, the second batch of pics tell the true story... GREAT JACKET:eusa_clap

Your frame/build + LHB has convinced me that I too can do this jacket.

Interesting how after Jansolo's goatskin Cheyenne, Aero are being plagued for more goatskin orders.

Lear

Edward

Bartender
My first proper repro was (and still is!) an Aero AN6552, in goat. If it is typical of Aero's goatskin, it is beautiful. I'm definitely open to more goat jackets in the future... if I stumbled over a used one at a silly price, I'd consider a goat russet A2 (the Aero would do me fine, as I'd be planning to wear it as a civilian jacket, so any inaccuracies wouldn't be a 'problem' for me), though I do really fancy the idea of a thirties half belt in russet goat with a cotton lining.... it'd be nice to have a civilian Aero for wearing in warmer weather; my divine FQHH Bootlegger hasn't had much wear since arriving in April - too hot here for that one now. Roll on Autumn!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the positive comments. I'd wear the jacket as I do all my clothes because I like 'em but it's nice to know other people won't think I look a total nob :)

I'll try to find that spring balance together a weight comparison with the fqhh version. I've the day off today :) And the weather's going to be good too. Time to try the jacket on the 'bike.

Jeff, I've binned my emails but as I recall, Amanda quoted me a 10 week wait but it turned out to be just under 2 weeks less than that.

Cheers All,
Dave

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Dudleydoright said:
Amanda quoted me a 10 week wait but it turned out to be just under 2 weeks less than that.

Dave

Lucky guy I was quoted 8 weeks and it took 6 1/2 months! Well worth it though. Mine is in horsehide but your goat looks very comfortable. This is my first Aero and I love it. The smell of Aero's hh is so much better than any other leather I own.

P1000063.jpg

P1000062.jpg

P1000050.jpg

Tommer

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
That's a great looking jacket Tommer. Another 10 years and it will be nearly as soft as my new goatskin version ;-)

Did you go for the storm cuffs ? And if so, how do you find them ?

Dave

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Yes Dave I went with the storm cuffs as this was going to be my new primary winter jacket. I like having the storm cuffs and don't find them annoying. I have some pretty large watches and the cuffs don't really interfere with them either. I love everything about the jacket except, like most, the armholes can be a bit annoying when lifting my arms (it pulls the entire jacket up)... but it's not as bad as it could be so it's easy to live with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80