Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Premiere 1930s Half Belt Russet Badalassi- SQUEAKING

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like a latex fetish wear wetsuit. Man that’s just something I couldn’t live with. It’s completely ridiculous really.

I think a frequent point made about CXL, that it’s a great shoe shoe leather more then a garment leather, might be truer for Badalassi. You wouldn’t have that kind of friction in a pair of shoes or boots.

I think a frequent point made about CXL, that it’s a great shoe shoe leather more then a garment leather, might be truer for Badalassi. You wouldn’t have that kind of friction in a pair of shoes or boots.
Could well be. CXL, of the dozens and dozens I’ve had, none have ever sounded like this. I’ve had some squeaky Vansons. But nothing like this. This is like walking into a room full of strangers with a kazoo in your ass after 8 bowls of spice level 10, along came Polly, Indian food. It really announces your presence. Hard pass. I don’t know how you fix it. Rubbing alcohol? I assume the super high gloss topcoat is the culprit.

Aloysius

Could well be. CXL, of the dozens and dozens I’ve had, none have ever sounded like this. I’ve had some squeaky Vansons. But nothing like this. This is like walking into a room full of strangers with a kazoo in your ass after 8 bowls of spice level 10, along came Polly, Indian food. It really announces your presence. Hard pass. I don’t know how you fix it. Rubbing alcohol? I assume the super high gloss topcoat is the culprit.

Yeah that’s my point. People say that about CXL but it has no friction squeak.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
could you not strip the finish like how you would strip the alden shells? ergo bye bye squeaking.

With rubbing alcohol and then recondition with bick 4 if not black, then something more nutritious if black color

MrProper

I haven't had this with any of my jackets except the Badalassi. Once with a 5*, but only after I had treated it with snow seal. But quieter.
With the Badalassi it is very loud at the beginning and over time the initial squeaking changes to creaking. My black one is now tolerable... or I've got used to it :D
Nevertheless, I really like the Badalassi (otherwise I would hardly have bought a second one).

Robson

Familiar Face
I have used shellac on leather projects, that also makes leather squeak, I would not recommend removing the top layer with alcohol. It is their to protect the leather.
In time the topcoat of the leather will break in and the sqeaking will get a lot less.
I have a 3 year old teamster from russet badalassi the squeaking is nearly gone

pj_odin

New in Town
I've tried using leather creams and oils, and nothing has worked. I didn't have the patience to wait for years, so I washed it with water and the problem was solved.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's beeswax, and not acrylic top coating as I had first suspected.

A bit more back ground story, I have never used beeswax before but see it mentioned here and there. So when I first got some beeswax and rubbed it between my leather gloves, it made the exact same sounds as the Baddieassy leather. I did a bunch of other things like rubbing the beeswax (solid form) directly onto the jacket and polish with horse hair brush and so on.

Anyways, long story short, to get rid of the sounds, you would have to remove the beeswax coating. Washing would do it fast, but I am gonna take the long road and brush and wear. A side effect of brushing is it makes the leather darker, I would guess it brings the fats in the leather to the surface and then it looks darker,

IMG_4506.JPG

Beeswax by itself is really damn loud, screeching banshee loud. But it also gives that natural shiny surface that Resolene just can't compare. I think people can crack the sound code by mixing a ratio of fats into their beeswax mix so they can get the best of both worlds, shiny and not screaming loud, I will try that when it gets even warmer. But for now, it's just brushing and wearing. I will see if the beeswax top coat can be tamed just by brushing and wearing over the course of the month.

Sick rolls on the sleeves though from the beeswax, and smells like honey,
IMG_4996.JPG

And two other side notes, the solid form beeswax does leave streaks on the leather (and somewhat sticky), it needs to get warmed up to semi liquid / not full solid form. Also I figured out a way to wear my Aero CR with the forward collar casually without injuries, just have to flip it back, I will take it to have the mandarin collar professionally removed so it's like a collar less CR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner