Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

set failures?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
What do you do if you wake up to a failed set? I tried a new set last night that was a complete failure! I ended up getting out my flat iron and going with modern clothes.

Inky

One Too Many
1. Use a curling iron to re-curl failed areas (uncurled or change their direction)
2. Make faux bangs and slap on a scarf and say I mean to do that.
3. Make something entirely new and fabulous (that's how I got those good rolls that ONE day when I got good rolls, haha).
4. Pin into pin curls and put on a bandana and change into "rosie" clothes. Hope it turns out better later.

Did the set fail to curl or did it just not do what you thought it was going to do?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I usually tie a scarf over it like Inky or go for an updo if its a more formal outfit, so I usually just put in a couple of rolls and put the back up. I find rolls fairly OK now I've found the perfect hairbrush handle to roll them round.

I had a failed set this morning, I went wrong with Sue's wave instructions. Mainly beacuse I slept on them, her instructions were great but my sleeping pushed the clips too hard into the hair and created terrible ridges. I'm going to try again in a few days though, as it looked great when first done. Perhaps a set for the morning when going out in the evening.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
My fav style for a failed set or yucky next day hair is to victory roll the sides and pull the rest into a low pony and adorn with a scarf or flower. And I'll touch up my bangs with a curling iron if I need it.

Nobody can ever tell!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have one particular spot - does that count. The right side on the bottom which no matter what I do will always fail. I try to re-curl. Even if it looks ok when I walk out the door 20 mins later it is always hanging limp. I've even tried bring pins to re pin curl it halfway thru the day since it can be hidden. It works it's way out of the pins and flops down just to spite me.

Generally if the whole set is a nightmare I hop back in the shower and gor for a flat modern look or a simple pageboy. I can get quite the afro sometimes when I pincurl.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
If I've set it for a night out and am doing an updo, I just keep on, pin the curled piece up and position it so it's hidden by whatever accessory I'm putting in my hair (usually a flower). Otherwise, brush it out til it's all wavy, and stick it in a ponytail with a chiffon scarf.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Did the set fail to curl or did it just not do what you thought it was going to do?
I was trying a set a used last year but my hair isn't long enough for it yet so the ends just stuck out all over the place and there was frizz from too small pin curls.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I roll it up if it's failing to behave as it should, especially when you get those bits that steadfastly refuse to curl. A sort of 30s version of a Victory roll. You might think it looks blah but other people will have no idea.

I have one spot on my Left side of my crown that if I don't put a really small roller in, goes really straight. Just one of those quirks you learn about as you go along.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have super thick hair and lots of it too, and even though I have naturally curly hair, it never holds a set. And victory rolls?? Frget it, the rolled up hair will become so big I'll look like this:

haar.jpg

So yes, pretty much everything set I do is a failure :D

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Darhling, we have the exact same hair! Mine is naturally curly and refuses to set at all. Not to mention if I brush it when it's dry, it gets all static-y and huuuge. lol I love Victory Rolls, but mine always end up really big!

D

Deleted member 12480

i tend to brush one side behind my hair (the thinner side of my side part) and pin it with a big flower! then diguise pins in my hair to pull curls into a more agreeable shape,

OR dampen the front again, do some quick fingerwaving and pin behind or just infront of your ear, spray it like hell with hairspray and take all the hair from the 'parting-side' of your hair and pin it across the back so it sits over one shoulder. (if you get what i mean??)

if you have really long hair you won't need pins. xx

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
If it's still somewhat even I'll brush it out and leave it alone. Otherwise I'll play with different up-dos. I've started experimenting with a low side chignon. I'm not great at it yet but I find it helps if I backcomb the hell out of it to make it nice and big, and then hide the pins and whatever mess with a feather clip at the base. Then of course I have to wear something a little more modern/formal to match lol.

zombi

A-List Customer
Every set I've tried lately has failed. I keep brushing and brushing like everyone says (and I've watched videos on how, too!) but it just gets more static and fuzz and never turns beautiful. I just put a hat on. If it's really heinous, then I re-wash my hair and leave it to air dry. Sigh.

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Every set I've tried lately has failed. I keep brushing and brushing like everyone says (and I've watched videos on how, too!) but it just gets more static and fuzz and never turns beautiful. I just put a hat on. If it's really heinous, then I re-wash my hair and leave it to air dry. Sigh.

What I do, which may help for you, is to smooth my hair down with my hands several times. The natural amount of 'skin oil' off my normal dry hands seems to be enough to calm my hair right down. But then mine doesn't get all that frizzy, so you might need to add a little bit of product of some kind. Even a tiny bit of moisturiser or hair wax might do it?

Edit: or try if it helps to make your pin curls bigger! I.e. use a bigger section of hair for each pin curl, that will make the curls bigger and less tight, and that should reduce frizz too.

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I know exactly how you feel, i have had some real frizz problems and ended up looking like a fraggle loads of times! But i know now i have to brush my hair out for at least 30 mins if i use pillow rollers and setting lotion to get nice curls. And use a fair bit of pomade or wax too.

LinaSofia is right though, bigger curls or rollers should help. I don't use setting lotion if i know i'm going to be pushed for time in the morning brushing my hair out, just some mousse or gel on the ends of my hair which works better and gives less frizz.

I sometimes just take my rollers out and just seperate the curls out with a comb, then leave them to drop while i potter about and make my way to work, i tend to look like a demented shirley temple for a bit, but that works for me, as my lank old hair starts to drop pretty quick.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I know exactly how you feel, i have had some real frizz problems and ended up looking like a fraggle loads of times! But i know now i have to brush my hair out for at least 30 mins if i use pillow rollers and setting lotion to get nice curls. And use a fair bit of pomade or wax too.

LinaSofia is right though, bigger curls or rollers should help. I don't use setting lotion if i know i'm going to be pushed for time in the morning brushing my hair out, just some mousse or gel on the ends of my hair which works better and gives less frizz.

I sometimes just take my rollers out and just seperate the curls out with a comb, then leave them to drop while i potter about and make my way to work, i tend to look like a demented shirley temple for a bit, but that works for me, as my lank old hair starts to drop pretty quick.

If I brushed my hair for 30 minutes there'd be nothing left. My hair falls out at the slightest hint of hard work since I dyed it using XXL Colour Live. My hair is so curl resist that it'd be straight as I ruler too.
Haha! Demented Shirley Temple. I take my curlers out and then do my make up and mum says I look like an odd Shirley Temple at the stage too. :D

Edit to make the more on topic: I smooth a little product over which I've coated lightly on my hands. Or, if it's really poofy, I give it a little sprtz of Wella Salon Professionals Curl Refresher. It has a light hold too so defines the curls but doesn't gook it up like a hair spray might.

Last edited:

zombi

A-List Customer
Thanks gals. My hair is naturally wavy and it seems to take curl REALLY easily. The best sets I've gotten lately have been set dry, not wet, because my hair takes curl so tightly with the slightest provocation, but it doesn't ringlet on its own. I have tried bigger sections as you've suggested and it's really helped me. Thanks so much.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I think I tempted fate last night when replied to theis thread because my set didn't work last night! :D
I think it's because we have no heating in the house so my hair didn't totally dry. I've stuck some flowers in it and gone to work anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy