Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

lyburnum

Practically Family
I've been told by my hairdresser that beer is an excellent setting lotion, however I don't want to smell of it so I've never tried it!

I make my own setting lotion with flax seed. Time consuming but I prefer it to using store bought stuff, as I've also tried a couple of setting lotions from Boots. My Mum keeps eating my flaxseed though :mad:

Goldfish

A-List Customer
maybe the smell will stop once the hair is dry?
I think I will give it a try... the worst thing that might happen is that my boyfriend huges me a lot more than normal :D

roots66

One of the Regulars
The spray bottle technique

Is there some kind of special spray bottle that works best with setting lotion?

I've tried several different kinds of spray bottles with Lottabody, but the spray keeps coming out in a thin, heavy stream rather than the wide, light mist I'm looking for. This happens whether I dilute it with water or not, and even when the spray nozzle is at the lowest setting possible. The result is uneven application and more wetness than I'd like. I don't want to dilute the lotion too much or it'll be less effective and take forever to dry. I usually end up spraying the stuff in my hands and stroking/combing it through, which works alright but gets to be rather messy. Any tips?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
roots66 said:

The answer seems to be no. I've not had any luck with spray bottles at all.

I keep my setting lotion in a small plastic jar and either just dip my fingers in or dip a fine-toothed comb in. Seems to work the best for me and is less messy too.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
roots66 said:

I've tried several different kinds of spray bottles with Lottabody, but the spray keeps coming out in a thin, heavy stream rather than the wide, light mist I'm looking for. This happens whether I dilute it with water or not, and even when the spray nozzle is at the lowest setting possible. The result is uneven application and more wetness than I'd like. I don't want to dilute the lotion too much or it'll be less effective and take forever to dry. I usually end up spraying the stuff in my hands and stroking/combing it through, which works alright but gets to be rather messy. Any tips?

I feel your frustration! Unfortunately setting lotion and any type of sprayer do not work together. Sad fact. But like Kitty T said, dip the comb, or use your fingers, some people dip a cotton ball and wipe. Myself I prefer to use the Motions Foam. Simply because it isn't drippy! And it's easy to apply.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies, I seen a bottle of lottabody called French Perm Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion. Is this the right one to buy?
Many thanks
Kerry xxx

roots66

One of the Regulars
Thanks Kitty and Red. So many gals earlier in this thread said they use a spray bottle--I thought I was nuts when it didn't work well for me. I did buy some Motions foam last month on your recommendation, Red, just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

(*rummages around the house in search of a wide-mouthed container suitable for comb-dippin'*)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
kerry said:
Hi Ladies, I seen a bottle of lottabody called French Perm Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion. Is this the right one to buy?
Many thanks
Kerry xxx

I haven't heard of or seen that one before. Maybe it's called something different in the UK? What color is the lotion? And I am wondering what a "french perm" is...;)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've been looking at that one too and wondering if it is the right one. There is also an 'extra body' version too. It's pretty cheap on amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk - just a few quid.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Maybe it's the same then? Because my Lottabody is purple. [huh] The only part I question is the wording of "perm" and texturizing".

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hi girls,
yes thats the right one-it is in concentrated form and is really good! It even held my unruly mop in place.
Like Liss miss C says Amami is good too, but the Lottabody concentrate is a bargain, lasts for ages!
I bought a pretty plant sprayer from Laura Ashley too! ;)
I bought my lottabody off a uk ebayer who deals in Afro hair styling products. V quick despatch etc.
K

kerry

One of the Regulars
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Hi girls,
yes thats the right one-it is in concentrated form and is really good! It even held my unruly mop in place.
Like Liss miss C says Amami is good too, but the Lottabody concentrate is a bargain, lasts for ages!
I bought my lottabody off a uk ebayer who deals in Afro hair styling products. V quick despatch etc.
K
Thanks Kitty:)

Lil' Miss A

Familiar Face
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Hi girls,
K

Hia Kate...would you recommend the Lottabody over the Amami?
I have medium thickness hair and it gets weighed down easily :)

Goldfish

A-List Customer
so setting lotion seems to be the healthiest styling product for hair?

and for fine hair, which is the one to go for?
lottabody,too?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Goldfish said:
so setting lotion seems to be the healthiest styling product for hair?

I was wondering about this too--I've spent a lot of time getting my hair (I'm talking years. My hair is naturally curly, but I didn't know how to treat it right. It used to be just frizz!) to the point where it needs conditioning only, and very little styling product, so I'm very wary about anything I would put in my hair. So, setting lotion...does it damage your hair? Dry it out or make it lose its natural texture? I've been wanting to try it, to get that sleek cool forties look, but I'm kinda scared to use the lotion! Any of you ladies have ideas?

Josephine

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
I was wondering about this too--I've spent a lot of time getting my hair (I'm talking years. My hair is naturally curly, but I didn't know how to treat it right. It used to be just frizz!) to the point where it needs conditioning only, and very little styling product, so I'm very wary about anything I would put in my hair. So, setting lotion...does it damage your hair? Dry it out or make it lose its natural texture? I've been wanting to try it, to get that sleek cool forties look, but I'm kinda scared to use the lotion! Any of you ladies have ideas?

You might want to try pure aloe vera gel (NOT the green stuff that is for burns). I get Fruit of the Earth brand, it comes in a clear bottle with a blue cap. I can usually find it in my supermarket, on a bottom shelf in the hair styling section. It took me a while to find it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21