Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

analiebe

A-List Customer
thank you so much blondie... you've made my day!! and one of the melbourne stockists is just a 10 minute bicycle ride away... i can't believe i've never heard of wavol and so pleased i'm not going to have to spend a fortune on shipping lottabody from the states!
have a wonderful week lovely lady and i'll be sure to let know know how it works for me

again, THANK YOU! :eusa_clap
xa

Blondie said:
For the Aussie gals
Wavol is THE BEST setting lotion, i am suprised its not available world wide,
i have been using this for many many many years and swear by it !

http://www.wavol.com.au/prod/120

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I'm in Ontario and I can't find any setting lotion....I'm in Ontario and a nearby Rexall has an ethnic hair section which looks well stocked but I haven't found any wrap lotion, or setting lotion. I'm not even sure what to look for. I'm using an orange dippity-do. My sets only last one day and sometimes I get flakes:eek: ! How is 'setting lotion' different from hairspray? I know how their use differs but how are they different, chemically? I found Final Net, is that like setting lotion?

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
So, my fellow Canadians, can we get Lottabody in a store up here? I checked the ethnic section at Rexall and they didn't have it. I know Shopper's doesn't carry it. Any suggestions? Ordering stuff from the States can be such a pain and $$.

How about for a beauty supply store like Sally's? Do we have such things up here? I have tried googling with no luck. I would like to find a bonnet dryer, but have no idea where to look.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I would just open up your yellow pages to the beauty supplies page and start calling. Ask them if they carry setting lotion and what brand? Be prepared to explain what setting lotion is. I found Vitalong setting lotion this way (it works alright but I think it is very different from the Lottabody setting lotion, I'll explain later). I also ordered some Lottabody from MyHouseofBeauty and the price and shipping weren't too bad.

cecil

A-List Customer
analiebe said:
hello swinggal... just wondering where you ordered from online.... ( i'm another australian gal frustrated at not being able to get lotta body here)

cheers

This is an older post, but so many Aussies feel that they can't get Lottabody that I have to repeat that you'll find it at pretty much any African hair salon/supply shop. It was mentioned a few pages back, too.

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
I would just open up your yellow pages to the beauty supplies page and start calling. Ask them if they carry setting lotion and what brand? Be prepared to explain what setting lotion is. I found Vitalong setting lotion this way (it works alright but I think it is very different from the Lottabody setting lotion, I'll explain later). I also ordered some Lottabody from MyHouseofBeauty and the price and shipping weren't too bad.

Ha, the phone book! Who would have thunk. Only reason I still have one is because it just magically turns up on my doorstep. Turns out there is a Sally's in town. I will have to make a field trip for pin curl clips, setting lotion and to check out some bonnet dryers.

Whee!:eusa_clap

D

Deleted member 12480

Setting Lotions?!

Hey there, i'm Annie and i am very VERY painfully new to this,
the whole forum thing and the vintage thing

well not so much the vintage thing, but more actually recognising which decade things happened and are from, etc!

I'm only 15, but WHATEVER

back onto what i was actually talking about

So i've been reading up on how to create different hairstyles, pincurls, finger waves, etc and i keep seeing 'Setting Lotions' and similar terms.

so, What is it??
And should i use it - and how?

Also, i have pretty darn curly hair so its fairly difficult to get it to look right with the looser curls and stuff

so basically
Are they any good, do you have any recoomendations, and what do they actually do?

Thanks in advance! :)

xxx

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!

I've merged your post into the All Time Ultimate Setting Lotion thread, which will tell you everything you need to know. If you do a search for "Lottabody," you'll find even more information, but this thread here is the best place to start.

Good luck!

Mr DP

New in Town
If you ladies would like to experience a "true" vintage setting lotion, then my suggestion would be Dryfast Concentrate. This product has been around for well OVER 60 years! This 8oz bottle will yield a gallon of product and you shouldn't have to pay more than 7-10.00. Dryfast is perfect for finger waves, pin curls and magnetic rollers. Dry fast is never stiff or sticky, yet has the working consistency of watery snot...LOL, sorry best description I can think of, it greatly helps to keep the ends of carved pincurls(ribboned) from separating, and is amazing for magnetics. Fans of Lotta Body should love this. Best of all, made from organic natural gum. http://www.bestbeautyworld.com/dry10010.html

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
So luckily I live three doors down from an ethnic hair supply shop, and the owner not only had lottabody, but told me all about using it. My first set with no lotion on plain old dry hair was a bit of a wreck, but the second... what a difference!

Things I learned:
- You all weren't kidding, it's slippery!
- I needed way less of it than I expected
- When a was just dampening my hair, I could make a mohawk (who knew?)
- My hair does not like it when I sleep with it in

I diluted into a little bowl since I didn't have an extra spritz bottle, and probably made enough for ten sets. Oops. My hair isn't long, but I thought it was thick enough to need more... well, a lot. I dropped rollers, pins, the comb, and everything else while using it. Even wet, my hair could stand nearly on end with it in (My hair is collar length?) I finally to managed to roll all of my hair (a first), and when I took the rollers out, my hair went right back in the curl like the rollers were still there.

So - this stuff is magic!

I destroyed my set by sleeping on it, but I noticed the back of my neck was just a hint red and tender when I woke up. I'm a very restless sleeper, so I guess the stiffer hair rubbed. Is that the best answer? It didn't react on my scalp or anything. Anyone else have that issue?

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
So I'm caving and ordering this from Sally Beauty. I've had too many pin curl sets go floppy by the end of the day.

Does this make your hair sticky at all or cause your skin to breakout?
I haven't been using anything to set my hair.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I always use too much of everything...haha. Thanks MarieAnne!

I'm excited to finally get my hands on this. Sounds like a trip to Sally's is in order.

Do you find with a setting lotion you also need hairspray? I'm hoping a setting lotion will rid the need of dousing my hair in spray/mousse/etc.

When I go rockabilly I usually have to use a lot of hairspray...so that's unavoidable...but I'm hoping for a simply brush out pincurl set the setting lotion will do it.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
kymeratale said:
Ha, the phone book! Who would have thunk. Only reason I still have one is because it just magically turns up on my doorstep. Turns out there is a Sally's in town. I will have to make a field trip for pin curl clips, setting lotion and to check out some bonnet dryers.

Whee!:eusa_clap

Hey, how was your trip to Sally's? Ottawa is about two hours away and I'm thinking of visiting the Sally's because I want one of THESE. I want all three sizes actually....How well stocked was the location? The website doesn't ship internationally so it's my only hope! Maybe I'll give them a call....

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
Hey, how was your trip to Sally's? Ottawa is about two hours away and I'm thinking of visiting the Sally's because I want one of THESE. I want all three sizes actually....How well stocked was the location? The website doesn't ship internationally so it's my only hope! Maybe I'll give them a call....

Hi MarieAnne,

I was just going through the brush section and I am pretty sure they had some of those. The brush selection was pretty complete. I picked up a boar bristle teaser brush and have found it is great for brushing out smaller sections without tangling up the stuff that gets in the way. I will pop in on my way by next time (it is close to my house) and double check that they have them. That one isn't terribly large, but I have found everything I needed there. The one on Merivale Rd might be bigger with more selection.

Are you coming up to Ottawa anyway, or would you be making a special trip? If you're coming up anyway, let me know when and we could check out a couple of vintage stores in town. If you would be coming up just to go to Sally's, I could save you the trip and pick the brushes up for you and mail them down.

They do have the Lottabody, if you can't find it locally.

Cheers,
Ruthanne

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I made the journey to Sallys this weekend and WOWZA! I spent a good penny and my pocketbook is quite a bit lighter in the money department.

I actually didn't buy Lottabody, I went with another suggestion from a few tutorials on youtube by Lisa Freemont Street.

I bought the Motions Wrap Lotion. It is FANTASTIC and you don't have to dilute anything. It comes in a convenient pump and it's a light, foamy product (liquid in the bottle, but it foams when you pump it out). The smell is actually familiar to me. I used to have a curl spritz that I bought waaay back when I was a college student in Ann Arbor from a local salon. This is spot on to that scent and quite enjoy it. There is NO scent the next day, so nothing to compete with your vintage perfume!

I let it dry and then pinned everything up, using a spray bottle to lightly reactivate the setting lotion. I'm still getting back into the swing of pin curl sets, but I'm very happy with the results (not necessarily happy with my pinning technique though!). It has good hold without feeling like I have anything in my hair at all, which is important to me. A huge difference from not using anything to set with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner