Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Von Dee

New in Town
Now that I have more time then ever on weekends <<<<since one of my New Years resolutions was to stay home more often>>>> I been wanting to use my time wisely & learn new things, I been having this erge to sew'... my inspirations are retro vintage styles......my main focus is home decor, maybe starting off with some cute tiki curtains'....However I have no idea where to start, anything is helpful. If any of yu, have that magic touch, know any good books for beginers, or any helpful links, please keep me in mind!' Thanks Much....

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, I don't sew, but a lot of the ladies on here do and if you wait a few days, you are sure to get more than a few replies to this thread. Good luck!

Von Dee

New in Town
whistlebait said:
Unfortunately, I don't sew, but a lot of the ladies on here do and if you wait a few days, you are sure to get more than a few replies to this thread. Good luck!

How sweet of you, thanx much for stopin by!'

decodoll

Practically Family
A good reference book is the Complete Guide to Sewing by Reader's Digest. You can find answers to all your basic questions and many, many more. I'd start with http://www.equilter.com or http://www.reprodepot.com for fabric. You shouldn't really need a pattern for curtains if they are just a simple panel with a pocket at the top for a rod, just remember to double or triple the width depending on how much gathering you want. If you have more specific questions, just ask away. :) It sounds like an easy and fun project unlike the huge and very heavy velour drapes I just finished for the office....why did I ever volunteer to make those!??:p

Von Dee

New in Town
OOOh, thanx much for the info, like I said, anything is helpful! I'm going to look into those links right now!'

Thanx again!

Von Dee

New in Town
sewing machine, where are you?

Wow, that was so helpful, luving the fabric, this was excatly what I was looking for... I guess, all I need now is a sewing machine.....hmmmm? Okay, that sounded' somewat funny, but I wasen't playing' when I said "I have no idea where to start "I really meant it..... :p

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Von Dee said:
Wow, that was so helpful, luving the fabric, this was excatly what I was looking for... I guess, all I need now is a sewing machine.....hmmmm? Okay, that sounded' somewat funny, but I wasen't playing' when I said "I have no idea where to start "I really meant it..... :p

Ha ha! Maybe you can find a vintage one on ebay? I know new ones can get really expensive. Maybe going to a fabric store for scraps to practice on, to. Now, I have a tendency to be lazy & impatient so I got a 'Knitting for Dummies' book a few years ago- I am sure there is a sewing one- and I was knitting @ the first paragraph! Patterns can be a little overwhelming to decypher so a class at your local craft store can be helpful. have fun!! :)

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Don't want to be an interloper...

...ladies, but I know where she's coming from. I enjoy making something from nothing, and sometimes it seems the only way to get what you want is to make it yourself. I saw a photo of a necktie recently that I loved -- but couldn't find one even similar to it anywhere. It was a large scale glen plaid in greys and browns, looking similar to one I'd seen in photos of my great-grandfather. Since I couldn't find one, I had to make it. Went to a fabric store, found some suit wool (100s wool), bought a yard, made the tie, and wore it to go out that night with my lady friend. Luckily, I've read enough to know I needed to cut it out diagonally (something having to do with bias cut, I think?) and it actually looks pretty good.

No pattern. I took apart one of my old 80s ties and used it as a pattern, just widening it up enough to make it the proper width.

I do need to get a sewing machine. There's enough material in a yard to make two ties and I'm going to make the same one again, with more care. The problem is, now I'm looking at all my ill-fitting vests and pants, wondering if I could make them fit better.

I have to ask: Is sewing addictive?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
A good reference book is the Complete Guide to Sewing by Reader's Digest. You can find answers to all your basic questions and many, many more.

I heartily second the Readers Digest book. Its wonderful. I have just started to learn to sew, and I went through my whole first pattern, by stopping and looking up in the Readers Digest guide 'what did they mean by that' from the pattern instructions.

In terms of sewing machines, I got a new Brother for less then 200 dollars...not cheap..but also not pricey. It does more then I currently need, so has a bit of 'growing and learning ' room..and works wonderfully.

I had tried to learn on my grandmothers vintage one, and decided that I was spending more time trying to adjust tension, get it threaded, keep things running...then I was sewing and learning to sew...

My 2 cents

decodoll

Practically Family
Glad I was able to help, Von Dee. :)

I'll second Miss Neecerie's recommendation of a Brother machine. I have an expenisve one with all the bells and whistles, but my mom has a model made just for Costco that runs about $150 and a friend just got an even more basic one at Walmart for $70. We have all been very happy with our Brothers at each price point.

Burma Shave, thought you might be interested in this 1930's six-fold necktie pattern for sale at Evadress. And yes, sewing can be rather addictive.... as well as fabric and pattern shopping... :D

Von Dee

New in Town
a beginer on the looose....

Wow, I never knew this site can be so helpful, yu guys are the best, thanx much... Now that I got all this helpful information, I'm going to start with the basics.... I find it easier 'when I read everything I need to know on a paticular subject, after I fill myself with as much knowledge as possible, I'm going to take a trip to the nearest fabric store to buy material, & I'm going make it very clear it's my first shoping for fabric, in other words HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Than I'm going to purchase a brother sewing machine at Walmart, after that I'm going to practice on material, wish me luck, because I'm very impatient...:rage: :p ;) after all this I'll start working on my first project, than Ill post it, so all of you can see the end result.... & of course I owe it all to yu beautiful ladies!!!!!!!!!!" Oh & the fellas, can't forget the fellas......:cheers1:

swankysister

New in Town
Hey Von Dee,
Learning to sew by practising on straight lines (such as a bag, or if you're adventurous, on curtains) is a good starting point.
It may also be worth checking out garage sales in your town for people offloading sewing machines that they never use. Or, try a Beginners Sewing course where they supply the sewing machines to see if it's your type of game.
I have just enrolled in an adult education evening course in Beginners Sewing. I've tried self-tuition in reading and using a pattern, but hopefully the course will teach me to make buttonholes and insert zippers, which will move me beyond the 'can only make stuff with elastic waists and no pockets' stage.
For vintage sewing, I was advised to purchase the 1950s book 'Successful Dressmaking' by Ellen and Marietta Resek. I suspect that it is an Australian publication, but it shows you how to measure up and construct a bodice specific to your measurements. The book also recommends how you can make various styles (now considered vintage) based on this customised bodice.
Ask around about a sewing circle as well...there may be a group in your area that meets regularly to sew and swap advice.
Good luck!:)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I second the Sewing class idea. It really helps to have someone there who's knowlegable about sewing to help you along.

As for fabric, make sure whatever it is, that you wash it or dry clean it before you start sewing! There's nothing worse that finally finishing that perfect little shirt, only to have it shrink to childsize after the first wash! You can wash in your washing machine polyesters and cottons, and even linen (but dry it on a low heat). You should have wool, silk, acetate and rayon dry cleaned.

Get a modern commerical pattern that's in the "easy" section of the pattern book. Once you feel like you've got the basics down, move on. I don't recommend starting with something more complex, because if you don't get it right it's easy to say "Sewing's not for me" and move on to another hobby. Like all other things learned, you must learn the basics and build upon them. Something we had to do in school was trace lines drawn on the fabric with your sewing stitches. To do this, get some muslin (ask for it at your fabric store. It's just about the cheapest stuff you can get). Use colored thread. You don't need to wash the fabric. Draw on the fabric different designs. Try straight lines, then a large zig zag, then a spiral. Trying to follow the designs will make you comforatable with the way the machine works. Different machines are like different cars, the pedals react differently. Some go fast with a light tough, some require more pressure. Also, get familiar with the backstitching button. Make it second nature to go forward a few stitches, then back a few stitches, then forward, until the end, then go back a few stitches, then forward a few stitches again. Backstitching is like tying a knot in the thread. It keeps it from coming unraveled as you're putting more pieces together.

Hope this all helps!

swankysister

New in Town
Lauren Henline said:
Haha! I don't know those two diseases at all :p
Ok, yes. A dedicated pattern and fabric horder am I.

Heh, I'm afraid that your posts about your clever ebay purchases have already revealed your 'dark side' Lauren Henline. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21