Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I make my mock ups in muslin. I buy a bolt in the garment district and that lasts me a while. They sell it every once in a while at the $1 a yard store in 60" widths. Then I make my markings for grainline on them in pencil to keep it straight. After I'm done I transfer it to dotted pattern paper, then manila, and hang them on pattern hooks. I don't actually use mini patterns. I always do it full scale. I never learned how to make small patterns. Sounds like something I need to learn!

Tin Pan Sally

flat pattern design

I only do minis to see if an idea will work. If it does, I scale it up. That's just how I was shown to do it. Maybe there's a better way, but that works for me.
I use the tracing paper on a roll.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question ...

DSC01697.jpg

I have a question for the ladies who sew. This is a photo of my grandmother's old Singer sewing machine. Do any of you have an idea of the age of this old sewing machine?

Thanks.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Tin Pan Sally said:
I only do minis to see if an idea will work. If it does, I scale it up. That's just how I was shown to do it. Maybe there's a better way, but that works for me.
I use the tracing paper on a roll.

Are there any books or anything that you know of that show you how to do minis? I'm really interested now!

Tin Pan Sally

Singer

Big Man said:
I have a question for the ladies who sew. This is a photo of my grandmother's old Singer sewing machine. Do any of you have an idea of the age of this old sewing machine?Thanks.

You can look up old machines on the Singer site. Can you find a model number?

Big Man

Tin Pan Sally said:
You can look up old machines on the Singer site. Can you find a model number?

Thanks. I'll try to find a model number and check out the site.

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Are there any books or anything that you know of that show you how to do minis? I'm really interested now!

I haven't used half scale patterns since my junior college days. I think I still have my half sized sloper tucked away in my Patternmaking for Fashion Design book. The only reason we used them is because the JC only had enough money to buy half-scale dress forms. Lauren, if you have this book, there are half scale patterns printed in the back pages that you can photocopy and transfer to tag board. You work with them just like a full size sloper.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
wow....this has most definatly eclipsed the 'where to start?'

and gone right to 'serious designers and sewers' hasnt it? Funny how threads do that..

Some of us are back on 'pattern reading 101' and so this has all gone greek ;)

Tin Pan Sally

Machine

Big Man said:
Thanks. I'll try to find a model number and check out the site.

You're welcome. That is a beautiful machine. I love it when people keep heirlooms. I hope you find the info you need. It's very old, that's about the best I can do for you. I'm not much help.

Oops, I'm so sorry I highjacked this thread.

Big Man

Tin Pan Sally said:
... Oops, I'm so sorry I highjacked this thread.

I guess I hijacked it a bit, too. Sorry. It's just that this discussion (or rather the ladies participating in it) seemed to be the best potential collection of "knowledge-base" on the subject.

Now, back to your discussion and I'll bow out. Again, thanks!

decodoll

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
It took about a month and half to get Betty slimmed down to anywhere near my size. This included the initial fitting and wrangling her into the cover and then all the subsequent runs of alterations/struggling to get her back into it/measuring and taking it off again.
I had ordered the smallest size form and the corresponding cover thinking that she would compress as easily as I was told.
I've got a picture here of what she started out like. . .I admit, it's been a battle to get her girls under control enough so that I can use the form, but it's better than doing without. Betty still needs to have a little reduction work done. She may just have to go under the knife soon.
(And if you're wondering, everyone's taken to calling the dressform Betty Nugs.)

I have a feeling that the cover keeps stretching for awhile after you put it on as well. I just remeasured her this morning and it looks like I have to take in the hips again also. Betty is cute... My new kitten's name is Betty. :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
decodoll said:
I have a feeling that the cover keeps stretching for awhile after you put it on as well. I just remeasured her this morning and it looks like I have to take in the hips again also.

It does. You have to make it smaller than you are just so that when it stretches with the push of the foam, that it's your size. Fun fun.

decodoll

Practically Family
Yeah, I did that. But I think she's still grown a little bit more since I last measured her. :)

Yes, I do. She's such a cutie. :) Here's a pic. I don't know if you can really tell in the picture, but she's the colour of mink.

Image-5BB736389D2611DA.jpg

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Simple Sewing

Hello ladies,

I just received a vintage suit, and had to do sew some buttons onto it. I realized, I had no clue what I was doing. I managed to get them on, and they look fine.. but, I need to learn to sew. Just simple needle and thread hand sewing, no seeing machines, they frighten me. I just would like to know tricks how to needle a thread and tie little tiny knots, the basics. I was wondering if maybe someone had a link to a good resource, maybe a tutorial on the basics.

Also, my equipment at the moment is a small $3 Wal Mart sewing kit with a bunch of cheap thread, needles, and not even a thimble. Can anyone recommend where to find a decent kit with what I'll need? My poor thumbs would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot