Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

anabolina

A-List Customer
Pina Bridgette said:
Curses! Those devious folk at Butterick released 2 more Retro '52 patterns:

B5032.jpg

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B5032=x&TI=10001&page=1

B5033.jpg

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B5033=x&TI=10001&page=2

If I hadn't just been on a pattern buying spree these last 2 weeks with no dresses to show for it yet, I would add these to my stack. Will just have to wait for a sale.

enjoy!

Oh bother, I SO want the second one, that keyhole neckline on view A would be so pretty. (slaps side of head and tries to chant to mantra, 'I do not need any more patterns', it does not work)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Kim_B said:
Shelley, I see the words you're typing, but I have no idea what it means. LOL!

The bust is already darted (is that even a real term?!) - can I just modify those, or do I have to make new ones? Have you ever known some one to be so frightened of their sewing machine? :eek: :eusa_doh:

Kim, here's a link to a good website that explains darts and it looks likes there's a lot of information for the beginning sewer as well as those who are intermediate (like me). http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/el_darts.html

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Curses! Those devious folk at Butterick released 2 more Retro '52 patterns:

B5032.jpg

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B5032=x&TI=10001&page=1

B5033.jpg

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B5033=x&TI=10001&page=2

If I hadn't just been on a pattern buying spree these last 2 weeks with no dresses to show for it yet, I would add these to my stack. Will just have to wait for a sale.

enjoy!

As if I don't ALREADY have enough to lust after...oh my, they are SO gorgeous!!! Thanks for bringing that to our attention!! I, too, must wait for a sale. Sigh....and then I have to decide which one to make first....

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I love those new butterick patterns!!! Especially the first one!

btw: I found the perfect location for a wild west shooting... Anyone knows a quiet easy pattern for a rather authentic wild west lady outfit? I just saw Can Can-girl patterns, but those where looking sort of cheap so I didn´t really bother to get me one of those.

Chickpea

Familiar Face
@Kim

Could you have a friend help you?
What I´m thinking is that you put on the dress inside out, and she/he pins it in the right places (or make other marks that will help you).
When you then ease out of the now porcupine dress, you can just stitch after the pins. First I´d bast it, try it on again, make changes and then do the final stitching.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Chickpea said:
@Kim

Could you have a friend help you?
What I´m thinking is that you put on the dress inside out, and she/he pins it in the right places (or make other marks that will help you).
When you then ease out of the now porcupine dress, you can just stitch after the pins. First I´d bast it, try it on again, make changes and then do the final stitching.

That sounds like a brilliant idea! I wonder if I could get hubby to help me (so long as he promises not to pin me to the dress :eek: !)

Thanks, Chickpea! :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally,

It's large all through the top - the bust is a bit large, and the shoulders are a bit large, but not dreadfully so. The largest part on me is the waist - it just needs some definition so it doesn't look like a potato sack when I wear it!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
confusion setttles in!

My mum has totally confused me, and she is a freakin sewer from before I was born, k. I bought Buttericks Fast & Easy Retro '52 Pattern # B4790.
wrap.jpg

I bought it during the pattern sale at JoAnnes so it was just a buck 99. While I was there, I could not find the darn measurements on the envelope or in the catalog anywhere, so I bought the largest one, figuring I would only be out a buck 99.
I gave the envelope to my mom showing her that I couldnt find the measurements and she couldnt either, and when I was taking it back to my desk, I finially saw them on the little flap. Now, here is where the confusion really sets in. For some reason she has it set in her head that the bust measurement would be the measure ment for where you would take your measurement for your band size. Not the band size, but where you would measure to find your band size for a bra. And I am telling her no, bust measurement is the fullest area of the bust! Someone clear up the confusion please!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
pretty, you are correct. The bust size is meant to be meassured at the largest part of bust. I have that pattern, too and it is so cute. It was the first dress I ever did all by myself and I plan to do it again :D

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I always measure right straight across the bust-the biggest part! Not the band area under the bust. I think you will like that dress-it is very comfortable to wear and SO easy to make!

Hey, how was the drive back? :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I new I was right! Darn it too. I'm trying to remember what I knew about sewing so many years ago, and I don't know if I am ready to alter patterns yet, the bust is just a few inches off for me, darned things!! Sometimes I really want them reduced!
The drive back was sooooooooo much better than the drive there. Now that I know where I am going, I wont have to follow mapquest again. Evil thing!:p

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hey ladies

I am this close to finishing up my 30s corduroy skirt. I have decided that it definitely needs a waistband. I have another 30s trouser pattern that has a waistband pattern. Couldn't I just use that to make a waistband for the skirt? Also, does anyone know what that piece of satin or ribbon is called that is sewed onto the bottom of a seam. Is it a finishing seam? I think it looks so nice on clothes when that final touch is added.

Thanks. I'm hoping to finish my skirt tonight. It has to be taken in a bit more though.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Barbara said:
Hey ladies

I am this close to finishing up my 30s corduroy skirt. I have decided that it definitely needs a waistband. I have another 30s trouser pattern that has a waistband pattern. Couldn't I just use that to make a waistband for the skirt? Also, does anyone know what that piece of satin or ribbon is called that is sewed onto the bottom of a seam. Is it a finishing seam? I think it looks so nice on clothes when that final touch is added.

Thanks. I'm hoping to finish my skirt tonight. It has to be taken in a bit more though.

I think you are thinking of bias taping the seams....the ribbon or satiny stuff...although it can also just be fabric...

oh...If you want to borrow my Reader's Digest Sewing book, just drop by and I will lend it to you...not doing any sewing lately anyhow....

d

Snookie

Practically Family
It's called hem tape, and would be a good choice b/c your fabric is thick. You don't want to fold it over several times, so hem tape is a great option. You can find it at the stores with the rick rack, bias tape, and zippers.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
It's called hem tape, and would be a good choice b/c your fabric is thick. You don't want to fold it over several times, so hem tape is a great option. You can find it at the stores with the rick rack, bias tape, and zippers.

Thanks Snookie and thanks Miss Neecerie. I think I would like to borrow your book. So do you think I could get away with using any sort of waistband pattern on the skirt?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You could get away with a band of fabric and just sew it across the top of your skirt.

As far as a pattern for a waist band, you cna use it, sure. :)

LD

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
You could get away with a band of fabric and just sew it across the top of your skirt.

As far as a pattern for a waist band, you cna use it, sure. :)

LD
Thanks Lady Day...too bad this skirt is not quite summer material!!!

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I had to bast the zipper in 5 times last night, but I finally got it sewn in with the help of the teacher. The 30s corduroy skirt I'm making needs to be taken in a bit more, but I'm VERY excited! Here's the thing, I have a short waist, but I don't think this skirt will look right without a waistband (I have discussed the waistband before).

How should I approach putting on a waistband that won't make me look like I have no waist at all, yet keep the vintage look to the skirt complete?

Thanks ladies!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just make the waistband under an inch wide. An inch may be optimal cause it corduroy, but anything over that will make the skirt look like its hiked up to your boobies :eek:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes