Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Geeze thats a tough one RHRH, I dont know what to tell ya.
Those holes are H U G E.

If the garment is worth the cost, Id have it stitched up by a pro. Youll see the mending, but I wouldnt risk applique in competition with that fab green.

LD

Can you cut a pattern and make a whole new top ? That would be the way I would go. It's lovely.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
Yes I made sure I was really familiar with my machine before I attempted anything. For the first few weeks, I did just that. Reading my manual, looking/making at all the stitches on my scraps of fabric, stitch lengths, winding the bobbin, threading the needle, using the fly wheel without looking!--I even changed the needle and foot at one point. I'd sit down for a little bit, and sort of practice the functional points of the machine and come back whenever I had a few spare minutes. I don't have a deadline by any means, I am just looking to get a firm footing. I read and read and read but when I get behind the machine with my book at my side and fabric on my lap it seems like everything I have read just evaporates from my head.

I was thinking about taking out an ad looking for someone to help teach me. There is this older woman at Target that sometimes talks about her sewing. DH says he knows her, he used to do work with her husband. I thought about asking her.A sewing studio just opened near enough to me that come summertime I might be able to take classes there but the price tag is ENORMOUS! I am going to register for the sewing class at the community college that start towards the end of February. I am sorry for venting here, I know that isn't what it is for. I just needed someone that understood my frustrations. I come from a family of artists and making my switch to a new form is alot harder than I thought it would be.

PS - I know where you're coming from. Learning how to sew without any guidance is very hard, and even with guidance, it just takes lots and lots of practice. Don't try to overload yourself at first! Focus on the basics: sewing a straight line, backstitching to start and finish a seam, pinning and sewing two pieces of fabric together using a basic straight stitch and taking the pins out as you go. Those are the real starting points that you'll need once you've gotten the hang of the basics of your machine like threading a bobbin, changing needles, etc, which it sounds like you've already spent a lot of time on. You can pick up bits and pieces here and there as you need them, just don't try to learn it all at once.

Sewing classes are so expensive. Why not take out an ad, check with members of any groups you might belong to (like a church group, if that's your thing) or why not ask the lady at Target? You've already come up with great ideas! I'm sure a lot of older folks would love to be able to spend some time with someone who appreciates them and their knowledge, and they'd undoubtedly appreciate good company too.

There are a lot of good books and online tutorials too. I taught myself how to do darts just by using several sets of online instructions. I'm sure a bunch of the more experienced ladies here will have some good book recommendations as well.

Hang in there! Even for the most experienced seamstress, sewing truly is a test of patience.

Snookie

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Can you cut a pattern and make a whole new top ? That would be the way I would go. It's lovely.

You know, I was just thinking that. Black wool jersey should be easy to get, you don't need much yardage, and you can just take apart the top and trace the pieces as your pattern. Hopefully it has chunky seam allowances, so you can sew it back together easily (not like modern overlocked garment SA). Any seamstress should be able to do this for you, too (although that'll raise the cost significantly from $2!).

You could also cut the top off and make it into a skirt. Good luck, I'm sure it'll be great when you're done!

Snookie

Practically Family
PS said:
Yes I made sure I was really familiar with my machine before I attempted anything. For the first few weeks, I did just that. Reading my manual, looking/making at all the stitches on my scraps of fabric, stitch lengths, winding the bobbin, threading the needle, using the fly wheel without looking!--I even changed the needle and foot at one point. I'd sit down for a little bit, and sort of practice the functional points of the machine and come back whenever I had a few spare minutes. I don't have a deadline by any means, I am just looking to get a firm footing. I read and read and read but when I get behind the machine with my book at my side and fabric on my lap it seems like everything I have read just evaporates from my head.

I was thinking about taking out an ad looking for someone to help teach me. There is this older woman at Target that sometimes talks about her sewing. DH says he knows her, he used to do work with her husband. I thought about asking her.A sewing studio just opened near enough to me that come summertime I might be able to take classes there but the price tag is ENORMOUS! I am going to register for the sewing class at the community college that start towards the end of February. I am sorry for venting here, I know that isn't what it is for. I just needed someone that understood my frustrations. I come from a family of artists and making my switch to a new form is alot harder than I thought it would be.

It sounds like you're more than ready to jump in! Now's the part where you get to apply all the theory you've learned and get to make something cool. What did you choose as your first project? Please share so that we can all be excited and jealous! ;)

I know what you mean about taking up new hobbies - I've decided to limit myself from doing certain hobbies, even though I know I'd enjoy them, because I don't want to go through the beginning/learning phase (well, to rephrase that, I want to concentrate on perfecting other skills).

Since you want to learn how to sew, you have to accept that you will make mistakes. I've been sewing for 14 years, and the other night I sewed the wrong sides of 2 pieces together. Out came the seam ripper! I swear, I've made garments where I've had to stitch every seam 3 times. Now, you WILL get better if you stick with it, your mistakes will become fewer and you'll have some great creations to show off, but you do have to accept that not everything will be perfect. The important thing is to enjoy the process - if it's not fun, you'll never stick with it.

If you end up considering classes at the sewing studio, how about asking if you can sit in on a class (or half a class) before shelling out the big bucks. Or a refund policy, if you decide to bail after the first session.

Lastly, if you can't make heads or tails out of a section in your pattern instructions, how about asking your husband to take a look at it? Husbands are usually pretty good at schematics and mechanics, which can be the most confusing part. My grandpa taught my mom more about sewing than my grandma could.

PS

A-List Customer
You've all been very helpful in getting me where I need to be! I am feeling more and more capable. I think I have a case of "want to do too much too fast" syndrome.
My husband had a hole in his duty pants that keeps re opening even after he has it sewn shut, he insisted that I close it with the machine. It was a hand sewing job but he was insistent that I just jump in. That felt really neat, having him come to me and ask for help.

BonnieJean, that would be incredible! I am so appreciative that you even offered! Thank You!That website is great. I have it booked marked and have visited it a few times already. The directions in the beginning lessons are super straight forward, which is what I need right now.

Snookie, I laughed when you mentioned asking my husband--men in general seem to get the whole logic side a lot faster.I haven't really settled on a first project from start to finish yet. I was reading on other forums about girls who started sewing and within a week or two whipped out the Butterick 4790. I am obviously not that girl, but I wanted to be. So here it sits waiting for me attempt darts on front. I was looking at some of the apron patterns like AudreyHorne suggested I love aprons. I don't have many but I am always looking on ebay at them. I am thinking that maybe the first project that gets started and finished.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Since you want to learn how to sew, you have to accept that you will make mistakes. I've been sewing for 14 years, and the other night I sewed the wrong sides of 2 pieces together. Out came the seam ripper! I swear, I've made garments where I've had to stitch every seam 3 times. Now, you WILL get better if you stick with it, your mistakes will become fewer and you'll have some great creations to show off, but you do have to accept that not everything will be perfect. The important thing is to enjoy the process - if it's not fun, you'll never stick with it.

Wow,this is SO true! I've sewed off and on most of my life and mistakes are just a normal part of sewing. Thanks, Snookie, your words speak volumes!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto that. I still sew things wrong all the time. And the simplest things always end up being the most complicated. [huh]
I've just accepted that every so often there's a project that's just not going to happen. And then I throw it away if I can't selvage fabrics or trim.

The seam ripper is you BEST friend. :D

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
Since you want to learn how to sew, you have to accept that you will make mistakes. I've been sewing for 14 years, and the other night I sewed the wrong sides of 2 pieces together. .
QUOTE]

I'm glad to read this. I made the same mistake on my first big project and felt like an idiot. I wanted to give up then and there.

anabolina

A-List Customer
I've also been there deadpandiva. You just get into our rhythem and then suddenly, something just isn't right. And I agree Lauren, if a project is fighting with you and making you unhappy and frustrated, don't worry about it. I've put them aside before and never felt up to finishing them. Now I toss them. There is after all, lots of great patterns and fabrics and its better to work on a project that has an end in sight, then one that takes forever (at least for me). Good luck :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Just allow me to complain for a brief moment

I am looking for some lightweight wool suiting to make a jacket and pencil skirt. The local Joann's here has a suiting section full of stuff (and by "full" I mean a whole 6 bolts of fabric) that I would NEVER want a suit out of - and no wool! It's the middle of winter and they have no wool!

OK, I'm done now.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I am looking for some lightweight wool suiting to make a jacket and pencil skirt. The local Joann's here has a suiting section full of stuff (and by "full" I mean a whole 6 bolts of fabric) that I would NEVER want a suit out of - and no wool! It's the middle of winter and they have no wool!

OK, I'm done now.

Do you have a Hancock's in your area? Ours has some 100% wool and some wool blends. It's not a huge selection, but it's better than what our Joann's has in the way of wool. I've found that small independent shops have the best selections, though they also tend to have the price tag to match.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
Do you have a Hancock's in your area? Ours has some 100% wool and some wool blends. It's not a huge selection, but it's better than what our Joann's has in the way of wool. I've found that small independent shops have the best selections, though they also tend to have the price tag to match.

There are no Hancock's around here. My mom checked at the one in her town in Washington state and said that they also had nothing.

Unfortunately, Boston has a really piss poor selection of fabric stores :( I lament the days when fabric stores actually used to carry, you know, lots of fabric.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
KittyT said:
There are no Hancock's around here. My mom checked at the one in her town in Washington state and said that they also had nothing.

Unfortunately, Boston has a really piss poor selection of fabric stores :( I lament the days when fabric stores actually used to carry, you know, lots of fabric.

Hey hey hey hey HEY!
Watch your language!
Piss-poor is hyphenated.... :D

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

OK, I'm done now.

Wait...let me on your bandwagonlol

Joann is terrible for vintage-ish or even classic fabric. I wanted tweed for a pair of pants. No. No tweed. Plenty of polyester, fleece? you want fleece? Oh they got aisles of it. No tweed or wool though. And this summer I was looking for seersucker. Plain old blue and white seersucker. First the woman working there didn't know what seersucker was. Then, the only seersucker they had was in the "tutti0-frutti" line. Lime green, hot pink, bright orange. And we don't have a Hanover fabrics here either.

*sigh* I feel better now. I need to take a road trip either this weekend or next to the fabric district for "real" fabric.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
pennyseranade said:
Wait...let me on your bandwagonlol

Joann is terrible for vintage-ish or even classic fabric. I wanted tweed for a pair of pants. No. No tweed. Plenty of polyester, fleece? you want fleece? Oh they got aisles of it. No tweed or wool though. And this summer I was looking for seersucker. Plain old blue and white seersucker. First the woman working there didn't know what seersucker was. Then, the only seersucker they had was in the "tutti0-frutti" line. Lime green, hot pink, bright orange. And we don't have a Hanover fabrics here either.

*sigh* I feel better now. I need to take a road trip either this weekend or next to the fabric district for "real" fabric.

Room for one more?

Both about Joann--where nary a natural fiber may be found--and about the ridiculous "seasons" the stores keep. I was passing some shops on Friday and they have Spring/Summer clothes out already! Sure, I guess some folks go on cruises but what the heck? Even some of the online fabric stores are pushing the light cottons for summer dresses already. Crazy.

I hope you find the tweed you want someplace Kitty!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Imoldfashioned,

There's always room for one more!lol

I don't understand the seasons that the stores keep at all. The rationale, someone told me once (at least with the fabric centers), is that you can complete your spring projects in anticipation of the season. I don't think I buy that though.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just saw at our Joann last night they had a new really small collection of 100% wool gab for 7.99 a yard regular price. Just a heads up!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Calling all Boston and around parts ladies:

I understand the distress of not finding a decent fabric shop. I'm at a loss because the Fabric Place by my house just closed so my only other option aside from JoAnns is a place in Pawtucket. I LOVED the Fabric Place here and am sad to see it go. (I have a stinking suspicion it has something to do with the JoAnns Superstore that opened 2 minutes up the road) I believe they also closed their Randolph location but they do have one in Framingham if you want to head out that way for some nice fabric. and one in Woburn I believe.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissHuff said:
I understand the distress of not finding a decent fabric shop. I'm at a loss because the Fabric Place by my house just closed so my only other option aside from JoAnns is a place in Pawtucket. I LOVED the Fabric Place here and am sad to see it go. (I have a stinking suspicion it has something to do with the JoAnns Superstore that opened 2 minutes up the road) I believe they also closed their Randolph location but they do have one in Framingham if you want to head out that way for some nice fabric. and one in Woburn I believe.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I am without a car for the next few months so any place that isn't accessible by the train is just a no go.

The really frustrating thing about the stores around Boston is that a lot of them are discount stores that do not have the fabric content or type written on the bolt. I haven't been sewing long enough to know the difference between wool challis and gabardine and I can't tell from looking at something if it's 100% wool or if it's a blend. The other major problem I'm running into is that even when I find a good selection of wool, it's all super drab, ugly colors. I am looking for pastels (aqua or pink) or jewel tones (turquoise, preferably) and nobody has anything. I think I'm just going to have to buckle down and pay to use a swatch service.

I'm also looking for rayon or a rayon blend to make a blouse with and no place around here seems to have any rayon. Even if they do, it's not marked on the bolt, so I wouldn't know it if it bit me in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace