Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Keira,

Kamikat is right. Pants are really one of the more advanced garments to work on. If you've never sewn before you would be much better off starting with an apron, or an A-line skirt.
Seriously, I know what it's like to own a pattern that's too advanced and to want to work on it. But it will save you a lot of heartache (and frustration and money) to stash that pattern away and learn the basics before trying Mt. Everest.

Just my $0.02! :)

Cricket

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Is that your baby in your avatar? Baby clothes are a great way to learn how to sew. Some people have problems with the smaller pieces, but I have found that children's clothes are good to experiment with because they require smaller amounts of fabric. This means less money wasted in the event that something goes wrong. Also, kids usually don't care if the prints don't line up or the zipper isn't exactly perfect or the buttonholes are wonky.

yes that is my little lump of sugar. He could be a great victim, er...subject for my first projects. I agree that he won't mind if it is not perfect. Not for a few years away. ;)

Cricket

Practically Family
I have one more question ladies if you don't mind.

I am going to Wal-Mart to purchase my first sewing machine that I posted about earlier. Out of these on the link, which one would be my best bet as a beginner. I have no idea what brands are good, all the sewing terms, etc.
I liked the one that came with it own table and it was cheaper, but I was unsure about the quality of the machine and so on.
I need your opinion ladies to see which machine would be best for me.
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...rch_query=sewing+machines&Find.x=27&Find.y=14

thanks

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Cricket said:
I have one more question ladies if you don't mind.

I am going to Wal-Mart to purchase my first sewing machine that I posted about earlier. Out of these on the link, which one would be my best bet as a beginner. I have no idea what brands are good, all the sewing terms, etc.
I liked the one that came with it own table and it was cheaper, but I was unsure about the quality of the machine and so on.
I need your opinion ladies to see which machine would be best for me.

thanks

The machine that comes with the table is a Brother, which is generally a decent brand. I would go for a Brother over a newer Singer. Most of those machines look fine, I would be hesitant to buy any machine under $100, though.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I need some opinions, ladies. I'm testing more garments for my wardrobe. Today, we have finished, wearable skirt and two blouses. The final blouses will have the same collar and sleeve, so what I'm looking for is the blouse that is more slimming.
Blouse A
3272067579_b22fa29538.jpg

Blouse B
3272888090_122e216a03.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Cricket - the sewing table that comes with the Brother is actually really functional. It is the one my mom got to go under her machine (though her machine is definitely not the one in the deal!)

When it comes to machines - I am a little different with what I think than most people. I say if it sews reasonably then it will work - get it. I have never had anything more than a hand me down machine and they have all made what I wanted. I will say that in some ways a nicer machine will sometimes makes some things easier - but in the end if you are a good sewer - you could make what you want on whatever you have ( I have sewn on everything from a cheap early eighties Kenmore to a several thousand dollar Pfaff - in the end they all made seams.) I would go pretty inexpensive for my first machine - because until you sew for a while you really will not know what features you will want or even use!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. Merl said:
Kamikat - I like the second blouse for slimming. Though I cannot see a huge difference between the two. What is the difference in fact?
The first blouse is a 1940's blouse, the second is a modern, princess-seamed Simplicity pattern, from their BCD cup collection. In fact, I decided to go ahead and mix eras. Those blouses really do nothing for me. Here's the same skirt with a favorite 50's blouse
3273033566_95c8b2ff7f.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I understand now. With patterned fabric in a picture it kind of makes it hard to see the subtle differences in cut sometimes. I am sure most every person who sees you dressed in your lovely wardrobe will never know that you mixed eras!

Cricket

Practically Family
Thanks so much kamikat and Mrs. Merl. I agree that I may not need to go too overboard because I am new at this. I am totally unsure of what functions I will need and so forth. I think I am going to go with the machine and table. That way I can tranform the corner of my husband's man room into a sewing area. I know that is awful but it must be done. ;)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Cool KamiKat. Thanks. I like all of your blouses, but that last one is definitely my fav. Love the fabric and cut.

Do ya'll have any inspiration for me? I'm participating for the Library in the Chamber of Commerce Business Expo in a couple of weeks and the theme is Hollywood. We've been told we can dress up if we want and that its encouraged by the event organizers. We may have some Gone with the Wind posters and stuff as decorations and a copy is included in our door prize, but that's not really the route I want to take. I'm thinking I definitely want to go fifties, but I'm not sure if I should try for some vintage in style or something that's taken directly from a film or picture. Do ya'll have any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ShoreRoadLady said:
DeadpanDiva, could you scan/take a photo of the instructions? I just finished a '30s skirt with front pleats that were made like box pleats, but then pressed to the side. This could be something similar; it's a combination between an inverted box pleat and a knife pleat.

If you just have an extension on each skirt piece, and no underlay, then you've got a kick pleat on your hands.
Thanks ShoreRoadLady and Lady Day. The skirt is just an extention. Once I looked at the pattern peices I was able to understand what to do. I thought it odd that it wasn't in the instructions.

epr25

Practically Family
Skirts How to Make them Fit?

I was wondering if any of the experienced sewing ladies could let me know if it is possible to take a small waisted skirt and make it fit? Maybe adding 2-3 inches?

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Epr, is there a waist band? The other ladies might have better ideas but this is what I would do:
1. take off waistband
2. let out seams (if there's room and depending on fragility of skirt and whether or not there is a color difference between the skirt and the now exposed seams)
3. make facing instead of having a waistband
or depending on style of skirt if it flares I would:
1. take of waistband
2. take out zipper
3. measure down to point on skirt where it would fit at your waist and cut this part off (assuming that the skirt is fairly long and you're not cutting off too much
4. attach facings to top
5. reattach zipper.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i've seen tutorials and such for resizing patterns if you have a larger cup size, but does anyone have any tips or links to tutorials/etc for downsizing? most patterns are a B-cup, i believe, and i'm a AA/NA. i tend to buy patterns that are my bust measurement, then increase the waist/hips, but sometimes the waist is a bit wonky. would it make more sense to buy for the waist (with full skirted things) or hips (mine are def. a size bigger, at least) instead, and then scale the chest area down?
any help would be appreciated!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
maybelaughter said:
i've seen tutorials and such for resizing patterns if you have a larger cup size, but does anyone have any tips or links to tutorials/etc for downsizing? most patterns are a B-cup, i believe, and i'm a AA/NA. i tend to buy patterns that are my bust measurement, then increase the waist/hips, but sometimes the waist is a bit wonky. would it make more sense to buy for the waist (with full skirted things) or hips (mine are def. a size bigger, at least) instead, and then scale the chest area down?
any help would be appreciated!
From what I understand, a small bust adjustment is done exactly the same as a full bust adjustment, but taking away fabric instead of adding it. Here is a step-by-step guide, with pictures, to doing it. http://hungryzombiecouture.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-cup-does-not-runneth-over.html

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I recently bought a lot of patterns. Mixed in the lot were the directions for a skirt pattern, Advance 2691, but no pattern. It wasn't like I was shorted a pattern. The auction was for 6 and I got 6, plus the directions. When I go back and look, it was in the pic, I just didn't notice it.

So, any idea what to do with these directions? I know the frustration of buying patterns to find directions aren't included, so I would love to find a way to marry the directions to a copy of it's pattern mate, but I have no idea how to do it. Any thoughts?? Anybody know an organization or group that does this??

Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic