Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I plan on making those myself. They are a wrap number, so I would think they are going to be somewhat baggy. Just make sure you go by the finished garment measurements instead of the size measurements. The Decades of style patterns add a lot of ease to their patterns.

LD

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I'm making a quilt :eek: Got the top finished yesterday, just need to attach the batting and the backing material. Silly questions I ask I know, but after I sew the edges together it says I'm supposed to sew down all of the vertical lines on the quilt. Is this necesary? I'm afraid it is not entirely even, and if I sew on those lines the back of it will look awful. I think if I just sew the top, batting, and backing together along the edges it should stay together just fine... [huh]

texasgirl

One Too Many
Are you quilting some kind of pattern in the quilt? I don't know if it will all stay together if you just sew the perimeter. I take my tops and everything to a lday who does the quilting on a big machine, but I always do patterns and such.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
I used 11 different patterns for the top, 4-1/2" x 7-1/2" rectangles. Sewed them all together already to make the top. So the squares themselves are not going anywhere, just wondered if actually quilting all of the layers together is necessary, or if I can just attach the batting and backing along the edges

Inky

One Too Many
miss_killin said:
I'm making a quilt :eek: Got the top finished yesterday, just need to attach the batting and the backing material. Silly questions I ask I know, but after I sew the edges together it says I'm supposed to sew down all of the vertical lines on the quilt. Is this necesary? I'm afraid it is not entirely even, and if I sew on those lines the back of it will look awful. I think if I just sew the top, batting, and backing together along the edges it should stay together just fine... [huh]

It will stay together like a sandwich, but the filling (batting) will eventually move around and fall apart. If you don't want to sew it down, how about a tied quilt? You just use yarn to tie through the layers throughout the quilt like this:

rosieqult2.jpg

here's some instructions:

http://sewingneedlework.suite101.com/article.cfm/tied_quilts

http://purlbee.squarespace.com/sunny-tied-quilt/

http://www.everythingsewing.net/babyquilt.htm

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Inky said:
It will stay together like a sandwich, but the filling (batting) will eventually move around and fall apart. If you don't want to sew it down, how about a tied quilt? You just use yarn to tie through the layers throughout the quilt like this:

rosieqult2.jpg

here's some instructions:

http://sewingneedlework.suite101.com/article.cfm/tied_quilts

http://purlbee.squarespace.com/sunny-tied-quilt/

http://www.everythingsewing.net/babyquilt.htm

Oh Inky what a fabulous idea!!!! Thank you! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

crwritt

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I plan on making those myself. They are a wrap number, so I would think they are going to be somewhat baggy. Just make sure you go by the finished garment measurements instead of the size measurements. The Decades of style patterns add a lot of ease to their patterns.

LD
That's kind of what I've been leery of, I hate to waste time and fabric and not be happy with the fit, and its an unusual cut so I don't want to make unneccessary and possibly wrong alterations.
I bought the size for 42 bust, and the finished size says it makes up to a 49 bust. Do you think they are measuring the bustline wrapped or laid out flat? I'll just have lay it out and measure for myself, I guess.
I am thinking of making this in a lightweight linen. Not sure about the two tone view, though I could see it in two coordinating prints. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Decades does multiple sizes in the same pattern, so I would think you got the 'C' size, as I believe that is over a 40' bust (I just had this jimjam pattern in my hand this past weekend) :rolleyes: .

I think its fit is how it would be if it were on the person. If you are that leery about it, Id do a mock up first. Mockups never hurt, just take up some time :)

LD

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Rayon challis resources

Hi ladies,

I didn't know where else to put this and I'm sure it's been asked a gazillion time anyways, but despite having done a forums search I came back empty, so here goes:

Does anyone have a good online resource for solid rayon challis (not sueded) yardage under $10 a yd? A place that does samples would be even better. I've done a Google search and the results have not been good. A lot of blends, poor colour selection, ridiculous prices ($18/yd?!!?!!!). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
cailinbeag said:
Hi ladies,

I didn't know where else to put this and I'm sure it's been asked a gazillion time anyways, but despite having done a forums search I came back empty, so here goes:

Does anyone have a good online resource for solid rayon challis (not sueded) yardage under $10 a yd? A place that does samples would be even better. I've done a Google search and the results have not been good. A lot of blends, poor colour selection, ridiculous prices ($18/yd?!!?!!!). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have a Hancock Fabrics near you? My local Hancock has several colors for $4.99 a yard.

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
Do you have a Hancock Fabrics near you? My local Hancock has several colors for $4.99 a yard.

I do. :) I was there last night and they only had a few colours left (there's a sale right now - $2.49/yd). Online, the selection wasn't much better. Maybe I should wait until the sale is over and see if they get more stock in. I don't go to Hancock very often, so I'm unfamiliar with what they generally keep in stock.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
What is that!?

I've seen a few bodices with this feature. And I never knew what it was called. Then I saw this video....
[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IvBjOwmiI0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IvBjOwmiI0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
They show up around 0:21, and it sounds like the narrator calls them 'wingdings' or 'wingdines'. Does anyone know of any patterns that have these?

SayCici

Practically Family
P1180255.JPG

How could one turn a regular pattern for a full skirt (that most likely calls for a zipper), and turn it into a skirt with a button-front closure like:
mccalls_3064_1.jpg

On the left.

Is that possible?

Inky

One Too Many
Question on sewing belts.

I have a big ziplock bag full of plastic/bakelite/metal buckles I scored on ebay for $2.50!! All but a couple are in great shape, but none have a metal tongue, just the plain buckle. Sort of like these:

fleamarket06_5.jpg

I want to make a belt for a dress and I understand how to sew the belt, etc, but how does it stay on? You just thread it across the buckle and it stays closed? it doesn't pull apart as you wear it? (can you tell i've never had a dress with that kind of belt before? haha). Or do you put a snap somewhere to keep it fitted right?

Gosh I hope this makes sense, I've had insomnia for a week now and I know I am delirious :eek:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Inky, a lot of times on vintage ones I see them use snaps or hooks and bars to keep them shut. I've done both, if I'm worried about it moving- a hook and bar at the end with a snap right after it. Holds it secure! I usually get lazy, though, and use a safety pin [huh]

Say Cici, instead of putting the pattern on the fold to cut, what you would do is use that mark as the straight of grain line. Think about what size buttons you want. Divide the measure of the buttons in half, or to the shank or hole. Add that measure out from the edge of your pattern which was originally your fold line. That is now the center front. Add the other width of the button plus a little more- 1/4 to 1/2", and that's your fold line. From that, add enough of a fold over for a placket, like on a shirt. If your buttons are 1", add 2.5", enough for sturdy front and turn under for hem. I'd interface this extra edge also. When you cut your waistband make sure you allow for the extra you added and your seam allowance. Sometimes when I alter patterns I forget simple things like that, after all the hard work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw