Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto above. It's probably some crazy kind of tightly knitted (or woven) synthetic.
If you spaced them out more you could do a facing (like a bound buttonhole), but that tightly together, you'd have to do a super tiny bias facing and I think it would distort.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lauren said:
Ditto above. It's probably some crazy kind of tightly knitted (or woven) synthetic.
If you spaced them out more you could do a facing (like a bound buttonhole), but that tightly together, you'd have to do a super tiny bias facing and I think it would distort.

I would concur with the masses about it being a synthetic...and add on that it was also probably laser cut with a machine that helped seal the edges and do all the holes at once.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Totally. I was trying to think of how they would heat the edges just to melt it a bit to hold the shape and that makes total sense.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Agree with all on the circle cutouts, those must have been laser cut. I do have a dress of my mother's from probably early-mid 70s with concentric circles at the neck. They were bound, but the result was probably more like an eyelet effect (the went from 1 1/2" or so down to probably 1/4), that I always figured was done with an embroidery machine...

It is, however, a fab tangerine trapeze dress, that I would now very much like to find...

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Show me your Freddies!

I'm trying to draft a pair of jeans similar to the Freddies of Pinewood. The side zipper has me stumped. Could someone who owns a pair take pictures of the hidden zipper?

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
trouser help!

can anyone recommend a particular type of fabric to make trousers from? i have this pattern on order:

Sim3688.jpg
ok it doesn't like the image on my computer so here's the link: http://www.habithat.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/9404

i was thinking of a heavy-weight crepe type fabric, but i can't find anything anywhere near heavy enough, and to be honest i could be looking for something that doesn't exist, i'm a total novice! lol

can anyone recommend a particular type of fabric, that will drape nicely and not need dedicated ironing?

thanks in advance ladies

crwritt

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
I'm trying to draft a pair of jeans similar to the Freddies of Pinewood. The side zipper has me stumped. Could someone who owns a pair take pictures of the hidden zipper?
61879_1181093104523_1744062716_353799_2615237_n.jpg

61879_1181093144524_1744062716_353800_6972921_n.jpg

61879_1181093184525_1744062716_353801_975471_n.jpg

59179_1181092984520_1744062716_353798_1297209_n.jpg

Happy to help!

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
One for the sewers - A lil help?!

So I have never sewed anything in my life and am therefore clueless about any of these things (gosh I feel so silly asking these things!) but how much can a dress/item of clothing be taken in?? What should I look for to find a good tailor?

Foofoogal

Banned
Turn your dress inside out. See the sides and where the sides are sewn together. This can be taken in and under the arms or anywhere these seams are. Depending on how big the seam is it can also be taken out and the dress made larger.
As for tailor or seamstress ask around where you live or go to a fabric shop. They may have some names or local phone book?
Don't ever think it is silly to learn. It is smart to ask questions.

Geesie

Practically Family
LoserVonTeese said:
My Needle broke off completley which needle size do i use i have a "lil' sew & sew by Tivax company? :mad:

The size depends on the fabric you are using.
Needles are pretty universal as far as matching needle to machine. If my 60 year old Singer can use the same needle as a new Bernina, I'm pretty sure your Tivax also uses a universal.

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
Geesie said:
The size depends on the fabric you are using.
Needles are pretty universal as far as matching needle to machine. If my 60 year old Singer can use the same needle as a new Bernina, I'm pretty sure your Tivax also uses a universal.

Thank you "sew" much lol :p i will try that.

victoriav

New in Town
Peter Pan blouse and circle skirt with pockets

Hi folks

Firstly I hope this is in the right place - I wasn't sure that starting a new thread was appropriate.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for vintage style sewing patterns for the above? I need something that's not too challenging. I've been to my local craft shop and there was nothing that took my fancy at all.

I think I could manage a simple circle skirt without a pattern, having looked at online tutorials but I really want one with pockets. Not the patch ones at the front, but the ones that sit at the side, kind of within the seam. Sorry I am not hot on terminology.

I am somewhat rusty on the old sewing front, but have just completed the infamous whirlaway dress, and it's given me a lust to make more!

I'd prefer a modern pattern, just because I am verging on plus size and all the vintage patterns I can find are tiny.

Any help or recommendations would be fantastic.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
thanks Lady Day.

is it easy to do buttonholes by hand? my button hole foot doesn't seem to want to work at all, but there are some patterns that without proper buttonholes simply won't work!

i'm guessing you just need to be very neat a precise - but do you sew then cut the holes, or cut the holes then sew? also - for the UK ladies - is interfacing like bondaweb? the stuff you use to hem? and is that what i am supposed to be using to stiffen the fabric?

gosh, blouses are a whole different ballgame to simple dresses!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
sagging

I made this about a week or so ago and am having a horrific time figuring out how to make the back of the shirt stop sagging.
Any suggestions?n When my arm is down its the area between the straps that sags low, almost to the bottom of the bra strap.
It started out being a corset type tee made from two tees, but changed my mind.
62745_150792604953529_100000683716920_297391_2001545_n.jpg

59841_150792584953531_100000683716920_297390_1127958_n.jpg

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
1920s silk...

Hello;

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for sewing with old silk. I got this beautiful 1920s dress on eBay, but it's too small in the bust. I am perfectly happy hanging it up with my other display-only pieces, but I was thinking it'd be fun to open a side seam and attach an insert and some kind of closure so I could get it on. Is this just a terrible idea? The silk isn't shattering, but it has some small tears around the hem and one medium-sized tear at the shoulder, so it's not like some pristine piece that needs to be preserved in original condition, but I also don't want to ruin it.

Here it is, for reference:
4980991055_5ef24422d6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think unless you can find a perfect match to the orange fabric (which is highly unlikely) it is going to look odd to add any kind of panels for extension. Also, if you make it wider around the bust, then the sleeves won't fit the armholes anymore.
So unless you truly adore it or it has sentimental value, I would release it back into the wild (sell it) and get something you can actually wear.
It might not be in perfect shape, but it is still in very wearable condition, although I would be worried about the shoulder - that's where all my silk dresses die first. Don't keep it on a hanger, keep it in box, that will prolong its life.
It's really pretty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner