Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
The price of a sewing machine is no indication of how good it is!

Agreed! I hated sewing for years, but it turned out to be my POS Singer student models. I upgraded to a [very reasonably priced] Kenmore, and I swear they are the best brand no one's ever heard of! I can't recommend them highly enough.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well no luck so far on finding classes through the internet, so I'm going to look around by foot soon :p
There's a sale right now at Fry's electronics. The newspaper is advertising a brother's sewing machine for 59.99 instead of the usual 79.99. Do you ladies think its a good deal?

I actually have a brother, from about 1999- paid $50 for mine then. The thing is great. Never had to have it serviced, and I've put it through things one shouldn't put a sewing machine through. It's very simple, not electronic at all. I have heard similar things from people with the same machine. However, I have heard that their quality dropped about 2003 or so, and people with the same machine model post-2003 have had horrible problems. So while they once were great, now I guess they are pretty bad.

I agree with the other ladies, look for an older, working machine. I've used a lot of older machines in my life (I was in 4-H and people always donated old machines). I'm personally wary of drop in bobbin machines from the 1970s- I've sewn on 5 or 6 of these machines, and they were horrific- we wouldn't let the younger kids sew on them at all. I don't think they got the drop-in bobbin right at that point. (The experience scarred me for life- I'll never buy a drop in bobbin machine- it literally ate my projects. There is nothing like putting the final top stitching on something and the machine puts a whole in the garment).

Just be careful about older machines- we would always get older machines that didn't work, some of which we couldn't repair ourselves (and they were expensive to repair if they were particularly complex) or which were unrepairable because someone had mucked with them and tried to repair them themselves. If a machine was pre-1970s they were easier to repair ourselves (unless they were a really simple post-1970s machine)- often times the belts were missing or damaged, which is a quick easy fix. I'd try to find one that works over one that won't, unless you can find a pre-1970s machine. And I'd avoid a 1970s drop-in-bobbin machine.

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I went over to my boyfriend's house today and his mother lent me one of her sewing machines. It was a very nice gesture :). I read the tags and it says euro-pro model 420 and the date purchased SEEMS to be 2002. I hope it's a great sewing machine for now. I have no idea what to start sewing, I have yet to take classes. Though I did see a tutorial for sewing old t-shirts into something new. It's very simple straight across stiching. I'll try it out for now. I plan on borrowing the "readers digest" sewing book. I had it once and it looked so handy. Any recommendations on what to try out :p ?

Drappa

One Too Many
I'm not sure that starting with t-shirts is going to be easiest for a beginner, as t-shirts are normally jersey and stretch while you stitch, so you need special jersey needles and some machines have an extra foot to use as well. Jersey can make you pull your hair out if you haven't done it before.
I would get a pattern for a simple skirt, A-line or so, and start with a cotton or linen.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Covered belt buckles

Does anyone know where I can purchase some covered belt buckles and eyelets? Almost every vintage pattern has an attached belt. Was wondering if anyone knew of a good brand. I've heard of Maxant, but their website has very little information. They have buckle kits with and without eyelets, but they don't tell you what color the eyelets are. I think I will give them a call tomorrow. However, in the meantime, can someone direct me to a good source? Also, what tools are needed for making a covered belt? I know I need a special tool to put the eyelets in, but are any others needed? Thanks.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Eyelets can be purchased at JoAnns, in a bunch of colors, and they come with a setting tool, but you can also buy pliers that make life much easier. Buckles, I'm at a loss for though. I buy vintage buckles every chance I get... they can usually be had relatively cheaply in small antique stores. I like to buy mother of pearl, b/c it goes with practically everything and I don't have to mess with covering them :)

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I went over to my boyfriend's house today and his mother lent me one of her sewing machines. It was a very nice gesture :). I read the tags and it says euro-pro model 420 and the date purchased SEEMS to be 2002. I hope it's a great sewing machine for now. I have no idea what to start sewing, I have yet to take classes. Though I did see a tutorial for sewing old t-shirts into something new. It's very simple straight across stiching. I'll try it out for now. I plan on borrowing the "readers digest" sewing book. I had it once and it looked so handy. Any recommendations on what to try out :p ?

I got some very good advice here on FL about what to start with. Go really simple, like a pillow case, so you get the feel of doing straight lines, etc. I made a bunch of simple square and rectangular shoe/gift bags from a bunch of upholstery samples I got at a local fabric store.

Then try something like an apron that doesn't have any buttons or other fasteners. Even if you might not use an apron yourself, (you can always gift it), it is a good progression that lets you get comfortable before moving on to more complicated stuff. I opted to use a simple pattern so that I could also figure out pattern stuff on something that wasn't very complicated.

Then I did an A-line skirt with a zipper. I would wait a bit before moving onto something with sleeves and buttons. Do up a few simple things first to build up your confidence.

BTW, I have managed just fine learning from books, youtube vids and poking around online. I don't think classes are absolutely necessary, depending on how you learn. The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing or something similar is a really, really good idea to have.

Good luck!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I need some help! I've finally commando enrolled myself onto a sewing course but unfortunately am starting a couple of weeks into it. We'll be making a dress from a modern Vogue pattern (2900). I'm supposed to cut the calico before the next session and I have this big quandary.

The only things I've sewn previously are 3 skirts, from vintage patterns. I've been collecting vintage patterns, because I've been living in hope that my skill levels will one day get to that point! I'd never even seen a modern one and didn't stop to think the sizing would be so different, and, well, extreme!

My measurements are roughly 34 -31- 42, which makes me either a size 12, 14, 16, or 18! Hmm...I've only bought the pattern for 12-14-16, by the way. Which measurement would you go by to determine your size for preparing your toile: bust, waist or hip?

Thank you for any help you could give me!

nosferaturoams

Familiar Face
I got some very good advice here on FL about what to start with. Go really simple, like a pillow case, so you get the feel of doing straight lines, etc. I made a bunch of simple square and rectangular shoe/gift bags from a bunch of upholstery samples I got at a local fabric store.

Then try something like an apron that doesn't have any buttons or other fasteners. Even if you might not use an apron yourself, (you can always gift it), it is a good progression that lets you get comfortable before moving on to more complicated stuff. I opted to use a simple pattern so that I could also figure out pattern stuff on something that wasn't very complicated.

Then I did an A-line skirt with a zipper. I would wait a bit before moving onto something with sleeves and buttons. Do up a few simple things first to build up your confidence.

BTW, I have managed just fine learning from books, youtube vids and poking around online. I don't think classes are absolutely necessary, depending on how you learn. The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing or something similar is a really, really good idea to have.

Good luck!

Thank you so much :). I hadn't yet bought any fabric for the skirts, but I guess I'll do this instead. Thank you thank you :D

virgi

New in Town
you can interweave between the measurements, if you are a 12 in the bust, a 14 in the waist, and a 16 in the rear you can trace a new pattern on tracing paper for waist, bust, and hips.

MissHawthorne

New in Town
Oh halp! My sewing machine decided to die in the middle of finishing a top. It's a Kenmore and I've had it since Jr. High. I'm thinking of getting another Kenmore, but have been eyeing a Singer, too. Any suggestions on which way to go?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
you can interweave between the measurements, if you are a 12 in the bust, a 14 in the waist, and a 16 in the rear you can trace a new pattern on tracing paper for waist, bust, and hips.

Thank you so much Virgi and sorry for the late reply. As it happens, after all that, the instructor pointed out that these size guidelines are completely different on the pattern envelope and on the pattern itself! I am squarely a size 12, with no problem! I was so stunned that I didn't bother to ask her the obvious question, but I will next time. I'm not sure I like this modern pattern lark...

Oh, by the way, welcome to the Lounge!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Oh halp! My sewing machine decided to die in the middle of finishing a top. It's a Kenmore and I've had it since Jr. High. I'm thinking of getting another Kenmore, but have been eyeing a Singer, too. Any suggestions on which way to go?

Kenmore. I've recently had both a modern Singer and a modern Kenmore, and the Kenmore is by far the better machine. I truly love my antique Singer(s), but my modern one was a hunk of junk that I gave away to a girlfriend who wanted nothing more than an occasional hem.

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
Ladies, I need some advice on fabric selection. I bought some amazing end of bolt poppy print and am wanting to make a dress out of it, but the print is just enough for the skirt. I have been trying to decide for weeks, but can't think of which colour would be best for the top of the dress as to not overwhelm the skirt, or make me look like a cartoon character.
This is the fabric
images
images

So, do I go with a red, baby/sky blue, green or white bodice, plain or with subtle pindots or stripes or textures? Or something completely different? Decisions and choice aren't my strong points, as you can tell :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy