Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Snookie

Practically Family
Small Town Girl said:
I have a bit of a sewing dilemma.My brother wants me to make him a Davy Crockett costume for Halloween.I found a pattern that looks pretty good.The problem that I am having is that my brother doesn't seem to want it made of leather and that is the only recommended material.I was hoping to use something that breathes well and is sturdy.Do you have any fabric suggestions?Thank-you!!!

Good for you for starting on Halloween early! I never start until 2 hours before I need a costume...doesn't usually work out...

Will a suede look work OK? Cause there's vinyl for a hard leather look, but it doesn't breathe of course, and you can't pick stitches w/o leaving holes. If you're OK with suede, there's lots of options, and usually very cheap. You should be able to easily find both knits and wovens that have been brushed on one side, and are completely normal fabric. Ultrasuede is a name brand, but there's cheaper versions, too. Try to find one that doesn't unravel when cut, so you can cut fringe (and skip the hemming!). More likely with a knit, I think. How about finding different shades of brown for the pants and the jacket?

Try searching the lounge for cowgirl -- last Halloween someone was asking about costumes, and there were more suggestions.

When my dad was growing up in the 50's, he wanted a coonskin cap SO badly. Hope you manage to find one. :)

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
man, this is full of some great ideas.
I wish I was better at sewing.
but thankfully my grandmother, who sewed like a mad woman n the 40s, is around to help! I need to set upa sewing date with her to get some pointers.

cos I am to broke for a sewign class.. and thats what grammys are for :)
I jsut scored some great old patterns I am sure she will be stoked to help!
I cant wait to show em off!!!!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Snookie

Good idea about the vest. Something really fitted would give me trouble. I need something alittle more boxy with just darts to fit the bust. Being that I'm tall, most patterns don't have a low enough waistline for me.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Snookie-I think that a suede would look woderful!That is what Mom and I had discussed,but I wasn't sure about it so I didn't say anything.Normally I would not be starting on Halloween this early-it's all my brothers doinglol I think that a real coonskin cap wold be really fun,but alas I won't be the one wearing it...I think that I may follow my brother's example and start working on my costume too.I have threatening to do a cowgirl outfit for a while so why not this year(I'll do double duty on the search tip you recommended)?!!!Ps- I love your avatar!

Elaina-You have so many books!!!! It seem as though you have a book for every situation.I think that that is wonderful!Thank you for the advice.I have been needing to get the vogue book for a while(thanks for the reminder).

pigeon toe-GO FOR IT!!!!! I actually find that unprinted patterns are much more user friendly(personally).I can't stand if the lines accidentally get..should I say, "trimmed"-it drives me mad!!! Just pay close attention to the directions. If you find that you need a little help we'll be here for you!

exquisitebones- I am so glad that you have such a wonderful sewing opportunity!!!I hope that you have a bunch of fun!!!

I was also wondering about dressforms.I am a bit confused about the measurements.Do you buy it to fit your personal measurements and then pad it up for projects,or do you buy it with the "ease" measurements?
Also,Grnidwitch-I'll see what I can find.

Elaina

One Too Many
Yes, my books have always gotten me into trouble as being too much of a know it all, but I believe in having the tools to do anything, sewing included. And I'm not above looking everywhere for an answer.

Dress forms aren't something I like, so I'm stepping out of the discussion. I have one, but I don't use it outside of my classes.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I don't think that you come across as a "know-it-all,"rather that you are prepared to handle just about any situation-in short I think that because you have so many books and do a lot of research,I think that you have developed what Mrs.Emily Post may call poise.I think that is an amazing quality and am glad that you are willing to share your time and talents with others!

Would one of you kind ladies be gracious enough to tell me how I can post pictures?!!!I found one that I think applies.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To post a pic, just click on the little "picture" icon -- the little frame with the mountains and the moon -- that you'll find in the tool bar above the Reply To Thread window. You'll get a prompt to enter the URL of your image -- just do that, click OK, and the HTML code for the image will appear in your post.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Small Town Girl said:
Snookie
I was also wondering about dressforms.I am a bit confused about the measurements.Do you buy it to fit your personal measurements and then pad it up for projects,or do you buy it with the "ease" measurements?
Also,Grnidwitch-I'll see what I can find.

The one I am looking at is adjustable, so you can change it to suit your own measurements.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I have an adjustable dressform. I don't use it for anyone but me, but I'm a funny enough shape (I'll bet a vintage dressform would be perfect!) that I would need to work hard to find a solid dressform to suit me.

That said, if you aren't sure if you will get on with one, there are instructions online for making a gaffer tape form. It's a cheap way to try one out. :eusa_clap

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I used a gaff tape/duct tape form for a few years and I liked it quite well. I don't personally like the adjustable ones, but some of my friends use and love them.

I have two, one standard basket bottom and one with legs. They're both by Wolf, which makes top-quality professional forms, but they can be extremely expensive. I got mine off craigslist for about $100 each and I couldn't believe it. (I stalked craigslist for weeks before I found the one with legs.) I adore mine; they were a totally worthwhile investment. But I do like forms because I like to drape right on them and just moosh the fabric around till it does something pretty.

I also like to just leave my projects pinned to them so I can look at them. ^_^ I find them inspiring.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Hey sewing ladies! I have a pattern for a full-circle skirt, one of those costumey, poodle-skirt numbers, but I don't like how my hips look in a full-circle. If I were to trip the pattern pieces to say 2/3 circle, would it work, or should I buy some kind of more modern pattern with pleats or darts or things like that?

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
You can reduce the fullness of the skirt, but there are a couple things to keep in mind:

- the full-circle skirt pattern you have probably has the waistband and 'waist' or top of the skirt measured so that you don't need to the gather the skirt into the waistband. If you change the fullness of the skirt, you'll need to change the top of the skirt accordingly - it still needs to be cut so it fits into the circle of the waistband. My mathmatical senses are tingling, and I think this may be a bit tricky. Especially if you choose an odd number like 2/3rds.

- I would choose a half (semi) -circle skirt, which is an easier modification.

There is an excellent bit on full and semi circle skirts from a 1942 book on pattern modification on the VintageSewing Info site. Scroll to half-way down the page:

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-08.html

Picture of a semi-circle skirt:

08-181-a.jpg

Making circle and semi-circle skirts is a great beginning project for pattern modification!

This link will show you not only how to make a full and semi-circular skirt, but has nice sketches and comments on what sort of skirt suits different figures.

As the vintage sewing link shows, there are many ways to make a skirt! If you want one with a lower "break" - that skims the hips more and then flares and becomes fuller towards the bottom - it is probably easier to find a different pattern to work with then the poodle circle.

I hope that's helpful :) - looking forward to seeing your skirt!

Jen

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
this maybe is not the place for this.... but i HIGHLY suggest checking out Etsy for CHEAP vintage patterns. I just scored a few for about 1 dollar each!!!!:eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Laughing Magpie! I think will go for a half circle to start with, less material to mess up too!

I have another question now!

If I had a very simple shirt dress, and wanted to take it in at the waist a bit so it fitted more vintage-y and flattering, would it be easy? Would it be a case of just sewing a curve into the seam, or even a V? Like )( or >< sort of thing. Or would that not work, and I'd need to put in darts or fancy stuff and really I should take it to a professional? Thank you again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters