Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
Ugh

Ugh! I have some many sewing projects and my sewing machine has been acting up ever since I tried to clean and oil it. I took the bobbin case, hook race cover, and hook out, but it don't know if I put it back in right. Little machine parts just frighten me! Then I was thinking about getting a new machine. I got my old one for like $100 at Walmart. Ah I don't know. I just need to get that pile of clothes and fabric out of my house and hung up in a closet!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HI ladies,

I have a question for ya.

Im not rather versed in serging delicate, sheer fabrics, I wonder if there are any tips you can give? Im going to be serging the pieces for another 20 blouse, and Im a bit on the fence about how my skills serging are going to destroy, er, mangle, this sheer fabric Im using. :eek:

Thanks!

LD

Rachael

A-List Customer
as long as the needles are new and sharp, the machine shouldn't mangle the fabric. If you're worried about it dropping into the hole, sometimes I use a tissue paper stabilizer then tear it away after the stitching is done.

my biggest issue with sheers is keeping it from wiggling while I cut and baste. grrr hiss. and I'm making a sheer over silk '30s dress next week too.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kabuto said:
selvageml3.jpg

Id say the side on the right because of the gain of the linen, but I wouldnt care which side was used if it were for a shirt. The 'correct' side looks brushed, and may attract a lot more dust, loose threads, pet hair, than the 'smoother' grain side. Ive flipped fabrics for just that reason.

LD

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am thinking about making a dress with a full skirt, to wear with a petticoat under. But I only have some taffeta at home, does anyone have any experince with taffeta and full skirted dresses? Is the fabric to heavy and stiff?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
kabuto said:
The roll-hem foot is used for the bottom edges of men's shirts (among other things). I've found they produce really good results, except that they are not able to handle going over the seams where you have two or three layers of fabric. I have to skip over those and go back and finish them with a regular foot after I finish using the rolled-hem foot.

This reminded me.. When I used the roll-foot for a full skirted dress, with a toplayer of chiffon, the chiffon seam looked like this:

What did I do wrong??

DSC01947.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Id guess your fabric shifted and was stitched on the bias because the lower part of the stitch is more fabric than the top.

I good (albeit time consuming) way to hem circle skirts is to baste the hem, gather slightly, press it down, pin it, then hand hem. That way you wont get that twisting.

LD

Josephine

One Too Many
I've decided to make a skirt out of that green with white polka dot fabric, but I don't have a skirt pattern. I thought about using the skirt parts of this pattern:
9ed2458b0f52074b16953311a2b88afc.image.143x181.jpg

but I need some advice on making a waistband. Mainly, what should I put "in it" to make it stiffer? I think I have facing... How high/tall/thick are most waistbands?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Josephine said:
I've decided to make a skirt out of that green with white polka dot fabric, but I don't have a skirt pattern. I thought about using the skirt parts of this pattern:
9ed2458b0f52074b16953311a2b88afc.image.143x181.jpg

but I need some advice on making a waistband. Mainly, what should I put "in it" to make it stiffer? I think I have facing... How high/tall/thick are most waistbands?

I would say 1.25" to 1.5", as if it is much wider it can roll when you're wearing it. Soft interfacing, heavy muslin and buckram are all great choices for the stiffening.

Closures are always the hardest part!

Sunny

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I am thinking about making a dress with a full skirt, to wear with a petticoat under. But I only have some taffeta at home, does anyone have any experince with taffeta and full skirted dresses? Is the fabric to heavy and stiff?
Taffeta comes in different weights, so it depends. Silk taffeta is BEAUTIFUL stuff, very lightweight but very crisp as well. Heavier taffeta should still be crisp ("stiff") as well, but it will drape much better than other heavy fabrics. Lightweight taffeta is fantastic for full skirts. Heavier taffeta can go either way; it really just depends. Were I you, I'd have the taffeta out and drape and gather it all over the place, experimenting to see how it hangs.

Josephine

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I would say 1.25" to 1.5", as if it is much wider it can roll when you're wearing it. Soft interfacing, heavy muslin and buckram are all great choices for the stiffening.

Closures are always the hardest part!

Thanks! :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Taffeta comes in different weights, so it depends. Silk taffeta is BEAUTIFUL stuff, very lightweight but very crisp as well. Heavier taffeta should still be crisp ("stiff") as well, but it will drape much better than other heavy fabrics. Lightweight taffeta is fantastic for full skirts. Heavier taffeta can go either way; it really just depends. Were I you, I'd have the taffeta out and drape and gather it all over the place, experimenting to see how it hangs.

Thank you! It is a fairly cheap taffeta, non-silk. it is 2.73 yeards long, about 1.5 yeards wide and weighs 0.88 pounds if that makes any sense.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I absolutely agree about draping the fabric to test it out. I've done that in the store - I unwrap a bunch from the bolt and find a mirror to see how it falls. Just don't drag it through muck :)

I have a question re my sewing machine. Basically, it hates me. With a passion. It always loops on the back of the fabric. Fiddling with the tension & the spool make no difference, it just decides when it feels like doing a mediocre job (that is all it ever does). Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on with the bloomin thing? Do you think it just needs servicing or should I just invest in a new machine? *sigh*

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
dollydaydream said:
I have a question re my sewing machine. Basically, it hates me. With a passion. It always loops on the back of the fabric. Fiddling with the tension & the spool make no difference, it just decides when it feels like doing a mediocre job (that is all it ever does). Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on with the bloomin thing? Do you think it just needs servicing or should I just invest in a new machine? *sigh*

no advice except I can relate to messed up sewingmachines.. I don't know why it is so hard to get one that just works!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:

I would suggest taking it in to a sewing machine shop. Usually they'll look it over for no charge, and then let you know what's wrong and go from there. My machine was handed down from my grandmother, who hadn't used it in probably 10 years (at least). It just would not work smoothly, so I finally took it in and paid them to clean it and adjust it. Turns out the interior was all clogged with ancient oil and such, and I think they adjusted the timing, too. It actually works now - definitely worth it!

anabolina

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:

I think it depends on your sewing machine. I have a $100 Brother and if it ever breaks down I'll have to fix it myself since I hear the shops won't touch the cheapo machines and also getting it serviced would probably be more than its worth. That said, I love my Brother and its had no problems for the past couple of years, although the thread always breaks when I try to do button holes.

Ugh! Well this morning I rang the local servicing place, and after speaking with a horrifically rude woman, for longer than was really necessary, I managed to get out of her that I’m looking at around £48 + VAT to have the beast serviced. I may as well buy a new one if it’s going to cost that much! There are some good deals I have found. I can’t see I’ll be too sad to see the beast go. I shouldn’t complain though, it was free!

A must for the new machine is easy buttonholes. That way I may actually try to make something with buttons & not just poppers & fake buttons lol

Thank you for the advice ladies :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou