Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Scraps

K by the bay

Familiar Face
I think your scraps must be way bigger than my scraps. I would use the tiny scraps to stuff things with. Pillows or stuffed animals. I thought this also might be a good place to ask , since I couldn't find a thread on it, what is it about vintage fabric that is so desirable? Was it made differently back then? Or is it the prints? Or just cause it "was there"?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I like to donate my fabric scraps to the local elementary school. They love to use them for their craft days.

Let's get those kiddies hooked on sewing at an early age. Mwa ha ha ha!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Good Reason To Save Your Scraps!

While eating my supper tonight, I got a greasy tomato stain right on the lapel of the dress I'd worn to work and was too busy to change out of when I got home -- and when I tried to get it out with stain remover I ended up scrubbing out not only the stain but the print and the color of the fabric itself along with it.

I was about ready to scream and throw things when I remembered that, when I made this dress last year, I had gathered up the remaining fabric scraps and stuffed them away in a paper bag in the closet. I found a piece just big enough to replace the damaged piece, and it didnt take long to rip out the old stitches and stitch in the new part. And the dress is good as new!

Moral of the story: Always, but always save your sewing scraps! (Maybe I should use some of them to make myself a bib...)

Nashoba

One Too Many
AMEN!
I was just going through my fabric stash today thinking to myself, I can't possibly need all of this I'm running out of room for all my scraps....maybe I should thin this out.....You've helped me to talk myself out of it :) Thanks Lizzie!!!!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I envy you who know how to sew. I am lucky I can get a button on or re-enforce seems. I can't even imagine being crafty enough to do that.

I am learning to sew and will remember to save my scraps once I have some fabric. :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Lolita, I do some of this type of thing on a list I've belong to for years, and it's now so big we had 250 participants last go round, feel free to PM if you need help.

As to scraps, depends. I make hats, aprons and bags out of some, I keep anything that's 1 yard exactly, the rest I pile into a box and send them to a friend of mine who makes patwork coats for the Indian Nation (some of the yard scraps goes and she makes kid's clothing out of it.) Every 3 months or so I spend about $20 bucks and get rid of them, and it goes to a good cause.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Count Me In...

LolitaHaze said:
Thanks for the heads up Sally! :) I have never done this before... so I am clueless about this.

Lolita -

both the ideas sound great. count me in, i've got lots of scraps and i'll happily make pillows or blankets, eyeglass cases, what ever for either lovely lounge ladies or troops over seas.

Foofoogal

Banned
"What I've been making out of some scraps I have gotten are little purses for my girls"

this is so funny as I am taking a break from teaching my grandaughters how to sew a little purse on the sewing machine. I had taught them each to sew a little pillow by hand. They are 7 and 9.
The 9 year old is very, very artistic by nature so of course couldn't just sew a plain square one with straps. She has to have pockets and a flap with a button or straps to hang on back like a backpack. Nana is getting worn out fast. :D

Nashoba

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Lady Day... I can try to plan this, but I have never done something like this before. Do you think we should try to make blankets/pillow cases for the troops or ourselves personally? A gal just contacted me recently about try to get care packages together... I can ask her more about that... I think it would be neat for the troops to get pillows or whatnot that were a put together from all over the country. So far you are the only one to express interest.

If you're going to do this for the troops may I make a small suggestion....most of the troops serving overseas (Iraq/Afganistan) really don't need more quilts and blankets, especially as they get into the summer months. my husband tells me that it's already up over 100 and the thought of sleeping under the sheets let alone a quilt makes him cringe. And he has air conditioning in his office / quarters. Where something like that definately will be appreciated and far more utilized is at the military hosptials for the wounded. Places like Walter Reed and Bethesda and in Germany. These quilts and blankets mean more to these wounded troops than you can ever imagine. There are several organizations that have taken this on one of which is Quilts of Valor http://www.qovf.org/
Just a thought.

analiebe

A-List Customer
a few more uses - i use small scraps for making my own covered buttons... larger ones for covering cocktail hat shapes (bases available from milliners supply shops), a feature detail on the inside of a cuff or collar, lingerie travel bags, for fabric lavender sachets for my wardrobe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy