Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Systems

katiepickle

New in Town
My sewing area has gotten out of control. It is beginning to look like a small explosion of fabric, notions, and patterns.
How do you stay tidy? Any photos of your organizational systems? I have been looking around for some kind of cabinet that looks classy (since my sewing room doubles as my living room) and keeps everything neat, but I feel very uninspired by the Ikea website. Show me your stuff! Motivate me to get organized! Prove that piles, shoe boxes and plastic bags are not acceptable!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The best thing I ever did in my sewing room was to buy some bins with lids from IKEA (I sprang for the metal ones). I use one bin per project--the pattern, the fabric, the notions all go inside--and I label the bin with the project name. I stack the bins near my sewing machine.

I also organized my patterns (finally!) by creating a binder with the pattern envelopes in acid free sleeves. The tissue pattern pieces are in plastic bags labeled with the pattern number in an old lateral file I got when my office at work was remodeled.

All my sewing books and magazines (both technical and inspirational) are in the guest room that doubles as my sewing room, separate from my other books.

I made a bulletin board from a 2'x4' frame that was never picked up from a local frame shop ($10) and some corkboard covered in fabric. I tack inspirational photos and magazine pages there.

I use the Mikael desk (thanks again IKEA!) as the table for my sewing machine. The pull out shelf that was meant for a computer keyboard is perfect for putting the instruction sheet/deltor on while I'm sewing.

I have a dustbuster and a broom and dustpan near a large garbage can; no rug in the room either.

I hope this helps--I'm anxious to hear what tricks other folks have for their sewing rooms.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have some nice flat boxes for some things and the utility shelving thats adjustable for fabric. I also have the shelving on wheels too. I do find putting away as you go to be the best way to keep up with the havoc.

LD

leaette

A-List Customer
In a semi-recent issue of "Country Living Magazine" they did a spread on craft rooms. The one lady had an old china cabinet (I'm guessing from the 20's or 30's). Painted all white. She used the top part with the "french doors" and glass panels to store all her fabrics so you could see the pretty fabrics.
If you get one, you can use the drawer (most of them have a drawer under the glass section part), you can use that drawer for your smaller stuff that you use a lot: scissors, threads, etc.
then use the bottom cabinet part to store your patterns in baskets or boxes.
I found one from around the 40's or 50's at an antique store for like $40 last winter on a road trip. I had to leave it there because there wasn't any room in the car. But if there was room, I'd own it! I collect yarn (I crochet) and I wanted to put my yarns in the glass section so you can see all the pretty colors. Plus it keeps everything dust free.
I was bummed out for a long time about that! I haven't seen one I liked that much since then :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm terrible -- I got no organizational system to speak of at all. I keep my sewing machine in the broom closet in my pantry, and when I'm working on projects, it sits on the kitchen table until I'm done. Attatchments and tools live in an old White Owl cigar box, and fabric scraps and notions get stowed in a lift-seat hassock in the living room. Patterns are stuffed in a metal letter-sorting rack on top of the bookcase out in the hall. Unusued fabric is stored in bags upstairs in the guest room, which may be why I don't often have guests.

If there's a lesson to be learned from all this it's that sewing supplies can very easily take over your house if you let them. Be very afraid.

Amelie

A-List Customer
I am using all kind of boxes, which are a little bit everywhere in the house, due to a lack of space in one place
The machine itself is on the floor of the spare room
I have a box for my costume patterns (which are all in individual plastic bags, I am completement dumb at folding them like they were, and they never can fit again in the enveloppe)
An other one for the clothes patterns (the two of them in the spare room)
A box for all the needles abd small accessories (ok I am bad on that one, I have small sewing accessories nearly everywhere in the house lol) (this box is on some shelves in the hallway)
I put the big ones in an "fourre-tout" chest an the end of my bed
and for all the fabric I have an enormous chest, which is now close to explosion lol (in the living room)

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
kudos to you for trying to organize. I promise it helps and will probably make you want to sew more once everything's neat and tidy. I have a "sewing corner" in my living room, which if you can imagine doubles as a desk w/ my computer and everything. Its quite cramped. Like most of you I've got lots of fabrics and odds and ends. The best thing I did to neaten my space was to go through it all and store all the stuff that I don't have definite ideas for in the garage. All the fabrics for my projects are stored in a really tall skinny cabinet and the notions and odds and ends are in a sewing stool. I'll admit that I've taken over several cabinets in our kitchen for other crafty items and even our extra bathroom has some "need to sew" garments in it. Definitely a challenge if you don't have the space to craft. I'd love to see anyone's sewing space for inspiration!

leaette

A-List Customer
just thought of another way to organize....

stop buying stuff!

hahaha...I laugh at that too. If you saw my yarn stash! I keep saying I'm not going to buy any more, but then something goes on sale, and well, my stash just happens to get larger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot