Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SGT. ROCK

Story

I'll Lock Up
Here’s an update on the long awaited comic adaptation, entitled Sgt Rock. Sure it sounds like an eighties musical revival but give it a chance. According to Reuters, the DC Comics property may finally hit the big screen after years of sitting in development hell. Some of you might not be familiar with the character, so lucky for you we’re here to give you lowdown.

Sgt. Frank Rock is a World War II hero who was the leader of his infantry unit, Easy Company. He made his first comic appearance in 1959 in an issue of Our Army at War, which almost 20 years later was renamed Sgt. Rock and continued to run until 1988. The character will get a makeover when it hits the big screen thanks to the folks over at Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver.

Rock will no longer be set during WWII, but will make the leap to the future. :eek: The story for the comic adaptation will take a cue from the likes of The Dirty Dozen, which was an all American action flick. The film has been in development for nearly 20 years and I Am Legend helmer Francis Lawrence will take on the job as director.

http://screencrave.com/2009-11-10/francis-lawrence-to-direct-sgt-rock/

Yougottabekiddin'me?

Picture-147.jpg

Giben

New in Town
Yeah, why?
The front seam On his helmet makes it applicable for ww2 to korea.
He may be just an average army man shooting up random bad guys, I hope not! I was really looking forward to a ww2 film. with this sort of thing.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I remember when that flm was suppose to have Arnold Schwarzenegger (imagine him saying "Let's get those germans!" with his accent lol ) then when Die Hard made it big Bruce Willis was rumoured to play Sgt. Rock. That shows how long ago they've been talking about making this movie.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
A real target

Not to mention, the guy is a Master Sargent with is rank plastered all over the front of his helmet. Did they do that in WW2? That would make a hell of a target. You always shoot the bird with the most feathers first.

Corto

A-List Customer
SlyGI said:
Not to mention, the guy is a Master Sargent with is rank plastered all over the front of his helmet. Did they do that in WW2? That would make a hell of a target. You always shoot the bird with the most feathers first.

Think of his rank being prominently placed on his helmet as a 1970's DC Comics military equivalent of a superhero costume. (...also, in Rock's Easy Company there was a soldier with a feather stuck to his helmet. "Little Sure Shot", the Apache sniper).

As a lifetime Sgt. Rock fan I'm a little disappointed that it won't be set in WWII, but given the saturation of WWII movies in the last few years I can understand why. I guess we'll see what happens- maybe it'll be a modern version...(Will "The Iron Major" be an Al Qaeda terrorist?)

(I've also always hoped to see DC put Rock in Korea- but according to comic book lore, he dies from the last bullet on the last day of WWII...Rock was rebooted in the 80's or 90's as the leader of the modern "Suicide Squad" but that book was very "steroids and spandex" if I remember correctly and not very "Joe Kubert" at all.)

The image at the top of this thread seems to be a CGI version of Brian Bolland's famous rendering of Sgt. Rock.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf said:
I remember when that flm was suppose to have Arnold Schwarzenegger (imagine him saying "Let's get those germans!" with his accent lol ) then when Die Hard made it big Bruce Willis was rumoured to play Sgt. Rock. That shows how long ago they've been talking about making this movie.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I remember that, too. I always thought Bruce Willis would make a good Sgt. Rock. He might not yet be too old for the role, as he doesn't look his age.

Brad

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I wonder if they'll even try to capture writer Bob Kanigher's war-weary, foxhole-philospher style so well expressed in the DC comic.

As for "famous renderings", no artist has come close to conveying the grit and War is Hell attitude as Joe Kubert.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Nothin's ever easy in Easy Company...

Sgt. Rock was one of my favorites growing up. My interest trailed off when Joe Kubert wasn't drawing it. Then they had Kubert covers with other artists doing the actual comic.

Some wild stories, some strongly character-driven, and a great cast- Bulldozer, Iceman, Sarge himself, and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80