Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shake up your Wardrobe

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The challenge: Take your existing wardrobe and make a new outfit. Combine your suits, sportcoats, ties, sweaters, scarves, shirts and so on in combinations you hadn't thought of before. Combine patterns and colors in ways you hadn't tried. Post photos and show us how you do!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Erm...not to rain on your parade or anything, but I'm not sure this is all that big of a deal for guys. I'm doing it all the time. With six suits, twelve shirts, and 25 or so ties, most of which are compatible with one another, there are a whole lot of possible combinations to be tried. (And that's not even counting odd jackets and trousers, or pocket squares, shoes and socks.) I won't say I never wear the same combo more than once, but I do vary things. A lot. I expect it's the same with most men.

[huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I tend to wear the same things together. There are just certain combinations that look better than others. Maybe I'm unusual.

Bartenders: feel free to move this to the Powder Room if you think it is appropriate. Thank you.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I think this kinda goes for ladies too, at least, for me. I have a relatively small (but carefully considered) closet that I simply work *really* hard... all manner of combinations and new ways of looking at things so as to not get bored or repetitive. Someone the other day actually said, "J-... never wears the same thing twice..." If only they knew.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I fall prey to the wear the same thing bug..

So I will take the challenge and try for at least one new combo this week.

ps....just because this challenge may not apply to some, does not mean others might not find it fun.....and those folks may also be male....so no need to move it just because some people are already 'masters of the combo chango'

Feraud

Bartender
I think this is a necessary topic. With the exception of a few members I see very few people "mixing it up" and trying for something new.
I would like to see more men wearing patterned sportscoats, shirts with color and so forth..
Maybe we just need to post more pictures. :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I buy a tie, I make sure it matches a few suits, some sport coats AND most shirts I already own. If it's not already compatible, I won't buy it. So I guess I'm with these guys in that I already shake things up.

Although I must admit, there are few combinations I like to stick with because they're really nice together.

I think a better challenge would be to take your most awkward and obnoxious combinations and make them look good. For instance, I have a tropical orange and blue tie with white flowers; pair that with a pink shirt and brown suit. Now if I could pull it off and you all agree, that would be worth noting!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Last night I finally made a good combination with a pair of pants that I've always found hard to coordinate. If it warms up this week, I'll wear it and have someone take a picture of it. The pants are gray with black and blue pinstripes, and I put them with a long-tailed, long sleeved white blouse and black leather sash. I don't have a sweater or jacket to go with it.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It's a good topic, but it's also good smart dressing.

For men, start with grey, black, navy and khaki slacks. Add a patterned pair or two if you feel sporty.

Add sport coats in Navy, Houndstooth, and perhaps Khaki. Approach patterns other than houndstooth cautiously - don't want to look like the reincarnation of Herb Tarlick from "WKRP in Cincinnatti."

Shoes? Black, Brown/Rust and Cordovan. Never wear the same shoes two days in a row - let them breathe and dry out between wearings.

Along with white, blue and patterned shirts, and ties to complement, that's a basic wardrobe.

Suits make it easier. Choose a shirt, tie and shoes to go with the suit and you're done.

Or follow the summer dressing plan for faculty at your local university - slacks and golf shirts. That's where we are right now.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Pictures!

Here I am with an aqua sweater on instead of my usual red sweater with this jacket and pants.

2681347470085301564uLgNYo_ph.jpg

(Sorry for the glum expression. It wasn't a good day.)

I think this would look better with a blue accessory, like a flower pin.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I buy clothes I try to think if this or that will go well with other stuff I have. Sometimes I'll see something I like and grab it. Unfortunately I've been trying different things together lately and all too frequently I look in the mirror and say to myself "Damn, that looks awful!". Then I go back to the tried and true combos. The problem, of course, is that when you buy something you like, just because you like it, you commit yourself to finding SOMETHING that will go with it. Then you get on a slippery slope. Result is I have several garments (especially trousers, it turns out) that don't really look good with anything and just slumber away in the closet.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
That's how I bought the aqua sweater I'm wearing in the photo. I had a light tan suit, but no top to wear with it.

I can relate to your pants problem, DHermann. I now have a rule for myself: no more patterned pants. But I hope this thread can inspire you to press them into service somehow. Maybe we can make suggestions if you post photos.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley