Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much space do your clothes take up? Help needed!

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Kind of a strange question, but I think you folks might be able to offer some advice on this. Reason I'm asking is because I'll soon be moving to a new studio apartment with very limited space.
What I'll have available for hanging my clothes is one 3'4" (100cm) Ikea cabinet and a slightly longer movable rack. With about 20 leather jackets, 15 sportcoats, 10 overcoats and some 40 other jackets of various thickness and lenght, I'll have to come up with some idea.
I'll be hanging my shirts inside the jackets to save hanger space, and, when possible, overcoats and topcoats over other jackets. Probably switching to thin hangers only, as well. I can manage other clothes in drawers and boxes.
How do you folks manage your wardrobe? I doubt a regular closet would fit the needs of the average lounger.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Well it is only a few .... not half of them :)

You have way too many clothes btw. Is this normal for Italians? :)

Us British have one valet stand, two pairs of shoes, three suits, one leather jacket, one overcoat and six wives. Italians seem to do things the other way around.

All I can think of:

1. Vacuum pack and store the seasonable garments away, so that you only hang what you will wear each season.
2. Get a better wardrobe - that Ikea chipboard rubbish will probably set fire to your whole wardrobe and release epoxy glue fumes and kill everyone if it catches on fire. A better, taller, or custom? wardrobe?
3. Start researching all those wacky coat hanger designs from Japan which save space like:
61qSxbJ4RBL._SL1181_.jpg

5. Get a second home to store half of your clothing :)

Hmmm..how do I manage my wardrobe? I have some of those awful tidy hangers when I travel and work - portable hook hangers - literally - hanging everything possible in a double height ceiling; using vintage clothes trunks (treated of course) to store away the rest. At home, I uh....errm....try not to hoard. I only bought my first tweed sports jacket last year. I've had the same leather jacket since I passed my motorcycle licence. The same Aero leather jacket; the same Schott leather jacket; the same Lewis Leathers jacket for the past 10 years.

I guess I need some help :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You'll need to find external storage. The secret of comfortable living in small spaces is being a minimalist - just 3 or 4 of everything. That's how I've managed in an apartment. It's that or the objects own you.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
@paolo - You could park one of these mobile units (baccelli) out in the street...:) Personally I would need the 8'x16'.

uhaul1.jpg
containersizes.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24