Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Shanghai" (2010)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I watched it several times during recent airline trips, as I've been on holiday, and that's how I found out about the film.

url

"Shanghai" is about an American spy, Paul Soames, who goes to Shanghai, China, in October of 1941, two months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, to meet his best friend (and fellow spy). Paul's friend, Connor, is shot and killed during Paul's first night in Shanghai and before the two get a chance to meet. Paul must then find out who killed Connor and what Connor had discovered that cost him his life.

I'm not sure about historical accuracy, per-se, as the Pacific theatre of WWII isn't my forte, but the film was certainly interesting, and presents Shanghai as a thriving, modern 1940s, international, multicultural metropolis of the East. With the war between the Chinese and the Japanese and the presence of Japanese soldiers in Shanghai combatting the local resistance, tensions run high in a city feeling the pinch of the Japanese, even when they haven't yet formally invaded Shanghai.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've not seen it yet, but very curious to see it. I have a particular weakness for Golden Era films set in Asia. And Gong Li is a definite plus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran