Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Not "Golden Era" but

Over the last few weeks I've heard a couple Lorraine Feather songs that have really grown on me. Great voice! Adorable, contemporary topics for songs include "We Appreciate Your Patience" and "Where Are My Keys".

Also, this young girl, Grace Kelly -- another great voice, and such a youngster!
GraceKellyMusic.com

saturnoir

New in Town
There was a German record label called JMT, which was distributed by Polygram in the US, that was one of my favorite labels in the world for the first 5 years of the 90s. They had Cassandra Wilson, Steve Coleman and Five Elements, Greg Osby, and I think the early Geri Allen stuff was on JMT. The label wen tunder, and I'm not sure why but man, that was some really challenging jazz. There hasn't been anything like it since.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
PLAYIN' CATCH UP

I like, and have everything from Armstrong to Zawinul.
I have to plead the "whatever I'm listening to now"
alibi as my favorite, like the musicians interviewed in Jazztimes
magazine say.

Some of the posts have helped me remember some of the
more obscure titles in my library.
Lizzie, As I've noticed in your other posts;
you are treasure trove of information, A TRUE GRIOT!:eusa_clap
My favorite Armstrong is early 1930's, it seems like when people
speak of his canon of work, they seem to overlook this period.
I found an 4 disc set from Germany years ago...PRICELESS!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Louis-Armst...r_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1212074767&sr=1-26

Coincidentally, while reading a Coleman Hawkins biography,
I stumbled upon an imported 6 disc set of the Hawk, which included
his european recordings with Jack Hylton, The Berries, etc.
and the reportedly rare Dutch radio broadcasts, (And yes, includes
"Body and Soul")http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Recordings-1929-1941/dp/B000025G7M
This is a amazing set, performing on the various tracks,
are a who's who; Django Reinhardt, Benny Carter, Red Allen etc. and
pianist Freddy Johnson, who ignored the signs of trouble, and stayed
in Europe too long and was captured and interned in a camp
for foreign nationals, Freddy Johnson, Valaida Snow and her band,
were among the Black Americans in the concentration camps
during ww2.

Favourites Of the more obscure; Argentinian swing guitarist Oscar Aleman
"Gypsy" style violinist Eddie South and The Sprits of rhythm.

I have question about the topic;
In the motion picture "Paper Moon" the soundtrack has some
great depression era music!
In reading the closing credits, the artists were unrecognizable to me.
Does anyone know of a depression era collection available??

Cheers!
FATS88

J. Baxter

New in Town
that's%20what%20i%20call%20sweet%20music.jpg

Possibly on of the greatest records I have ever owned. The most beautifully illustrated digipack case too, a given it being R. Crumb.

Shane

New in Town
Art Pepper. I wanted to have his version of "You'd be so nice to come home to" played at our wedding reception, but my wife didn't think we could dance to it.

Viper Man

Banned
Nice! Is that the version from "Meets The Rhythm Section"? I love that album!:eusa_clap

Lately I have been obsessed with small group swing from the 30s and 40s. I have been listening to alot of the Keynote and Commodre recordings. It's really fantastic stuff but sadly, alot of it hasn't been re-issued on CD yet. :(

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I really like dexter Gordon & Boney James at the moment but also St. Germain as a more modern group.

Compilations called London Lounge and New York Lounge is pretty wicked aswell - but I guess they are more electro-jazz.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Johnny Hartman- I Just Dropped By To Say Hello

537.jpg

One of my favorite singers and for some reason his music reminds me of Fall and Christmastime. Must be wishful thinking on my part, or the fact that thoughts turn darker and I read "deeper" material in terms of books. Anyway, I'm just not in the mood for Summer right now!

Airshowgal

New in Town
Primarily I like big band, swing & bebop/classic jazz. I also favor many women singers. Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Gene Krupa, Cab Calloway, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman. Peggy Lee, Nancy Wilson, Billie Holliday, Ella, Dinah Washington, Diana Krall. John Coltrane, Miles Davis, MJQ, Art Blakey.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Harold Land-Harold In the Land of Jazz

I bought this CD 11 years ago and it's only been over the last year or so that I've begun to love it! I like much of Land's music, especially his work with the Curtis Counce Group, whose You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce is on my shortlist of all-time favorite albums. Land's album features three of the five members of the Counce Group, including the amazing but forgotten Carl Perkins (not the rocker).

61tvtnWxPtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Count Basie video

just posted this hot Count Basie video, c. 1941 w/ drummer Jo Jones- Hot big band swing jazz, good stuff, betcha can't sit still-

checkout my other swing vids there, including adorable June Christy- youtube user "that1940sguy"- more swing vids to come if time allows-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYLbrZAko7E

- CH

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
"Man, woman or child, Ella is the greatest of them all." - Bing Crosby

"I call her the High Priestess of Song." - Mel Tormé

"I didn't realize our songs were so good until Ella sang them." - Ira Gershwin

"Her recordings will live forever... she'll sound as modern 200 years from now." - Tony Bennett

220px-YoungElla.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Art Tatum. Don't know if someone has already mentioned him, but he is by far my favourite by jazz musician. As a piano player it is amazing to see what he can do at such speed and accuracy, while being blind. My favourite video of him is on youtube called "Art Tatum plays Dvorak". It is one of the few live videos of him.

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
I listen to Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Glenn Miller, Billie Holliday, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf, Andrews Sisters, Paul Whiteman, Maurice Chevalier, Perez Prado, Django Reinhardt, Annette
Hanshaw and Roy Orbison. I can go on and on probably.

You can find samples of most these artist on youtube and on wiki for information. If you love the history of jazz check out Ken Burns Jazz Documentary. If you have netflix you can view a few hour long movies on over 15 selected episodes.

Can anyone recommend any pianist jazz artists?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails